Group exp requirements now?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Xtor Zadamose, May 25, 2020.

1. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

I thought long ago that the minimum level character in the group and the highest level character in the group had to be within 15 levels of each other for everyone to get experience upon quest completion. I could be completely wrong.

(1) Could someone please explain how it's changed or if that was something else entirely?
    (2) What is the distance requirement? I think you had to be within 15 feet of the chest opening or the quest npc to also get the exp from the quest instead of having as an example 3 of your characters in pok just logged in to get the exp rewards.

I could swear doing the quest Filling the Repository in Pellucid Grotto would allow me to add anyone from anywhere within that 15 lvl limit to get some free exp. I often 3 boxed it and always gave out taskadds to guild mates. When they weren't on, i added alts from the same 3 accounts and if i switched fast enough i would also get the exp for them. That was so long ago though.

I have also seen someone get a hunter achievement in Pok for Hunter of The Lair of Terris-Thule and Hunter of the Plane of Justice.

(3) How is that possible? Do you just group with someone and they kill the mob and no matter where you are, you also get credit for it?
  2. Fredescu Augur

There's a formula but this table is better than trying to explain that: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Grouping_Level

Basically from level 58, you can get exp with players up to 30 levels higher.

Distance requirement varies depending on what you're doing. For some things you can just get a task add and get the rewards from a completely different zone. For some things you have to be in the zone at a certain point.

For hunter achievements you can be in a raid and get credit for kills in other zones.
    Xtor Zadamose and Pelrond like this.
  3. Karanthal Augur

Depends on the expansion. Ldon for example you had to be in the "adventure" from the start with I believe the normal x1.5 level requirements for xp. But there is no need to be in zone to collect the win and points.

Later expansions that use the task interface typically let you add/remove people up to the point it becomes locked, ie before a final boss kill (OMM missions for example). Again no need to be in zone for the xp/points but like a normal corpse you can't loot the bonus chest without being there.
    Xtor Zadamose likes this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You're completely wrong.

For just plain old grouping, the lowest level char must be at 2/3s of the highest level char's level. Not sure if they may be a 1-level bonus for rounding. For example, if one char is level 100, the lowest char allowed for everyone to get XP is 66.66, so I THINK level 66 will work, but 67 definitely works.

For missions/adventures/whatevers, many have additional restrictions. Some are within 10 levels, some are 15 levels, some allow the 2/3s rule stated above. Looking things up on a fan site (ZAM, EQResource, etc) should help resolve those questions. Or, just ask in General or on here :)

EDIT - There may be someplace there's a 30 level thing which comes into play. I'm thinking it may have to do with high level buffs. High level chars can't put high level buffs on low level chars, unless they're within the 2/3s of a level rule. But, that maxes out at 30 levels. So, a level 100 buff can't go on a char lower than level 70, for instance.
  5. Craized Lorekeeper

The formula for working our what level you can group with for exp, is your level + half your level + 1 level

For instance:

A level 30 can group with a level 46 (30 + 15 + 1)

A level 40 can group with a level 61 (40 + 20 + 1)
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

Level restriction formula starts at level 10. It is Level*1.5 rounded down not to exceed 30 levels. So a level 20-21 can group with a level 30. A L80 can group with a L110. It's capped at 30 levels, so after L80 the formula no longer applies, it's just 30.

Tasks/quest are not bound by this formula. They are often limited by the task. For example, almost all EoK expansion tasks require you to be L95 to participate. It doesn't matter what level your group is, if you are not the minimum task level, you can not participate.

I don't know the distance from your group. I want to say it's in the 200-400 foot range but I don't know an actual number. There really isn't a way to measure this. You have to go by feel and guess what the distance is, but if you want to get an exact number, you can test it using /loc and comparing to your group /loc. (Location command)

Hunter applies to anyone in your group/raid regardless of your location. It doesn't matter what zone you are in relative to the mob that dies, only that you are in the group/raid. Most ACH also work like this, but some missions require you to zone in to get credit. These missions are often the ones tied to currency / progression.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wow, had no idea. So I don't have to drag my lowbie box around, fighting auto-follow all the time, to share my hunter achievements? Awesome :)
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yes. From a practical stand point you can just leave them, well, anywhere, while you do hunter.

A number of us completed planeslayer by forming a raid and assigning zones. Everyone went to their respective zones and went down the hunter list. This cut the workload by like divide by 13 or so.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

/salute

Now THAT'S awesome :)
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Thanks. I was hoping to find a list or something like that, to show that kind of information. I already knew about the level limit stuff. Only character i have below level 85 anyway is my bazaar mule. Not sure exactly why i thought the characters had to be within 15 levels of each other for "Quest Exp/Credit" like opening a chest or upon completing a quest.
  11. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about that EoK stuff or that Hunter information.
  12. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Basically i should have asked which quests would let me keep 3 characters in pok to get task/quest exp/rewards while i have my main 3 completing quests/missions/adventures etc. The one i mentioned in Pellucid Grotto would be an example. Though i was hoping for something after underfoot. Like RoF or later. If it's not possible that is fine and i am glad that i was wrong about the level difference for getting "quest exp". Ill give the Pellucid Grotto task a try again with a level 85 character sitting in pok and ones over 105 going through the quest. According to these posts the person at 85 will still get the "quest exp" cause i was completely wrong. Level 85 was max level during Underfoot so the "quest exp" shouldn't be too bad.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Now watch the devs nerf being able to get Hunter Achieves in a raid....
  14. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

It looks like you were right. I tried doing that Repository task again in Pellucid Grotto just like the old days and even though i had a level 107 character taskadd a level 85 character, the 85 one still got the rewards. My memory of how it worked was completely wrong.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

There are lot of tasks that require you to zone in to get credit.

Hunter works the way it does because if it didn't, and you died, you wouldn't get credit. Then you would be angry. This is taken advantage of a lot. Tasks on the other hand do not need this same requirement. Many of them give the rewards when the task is completed. You are left with a pending until you zone back in.

Yeah, that would be unfortunate. Planeslayer should have never been part of the TBL series, as the ACH system didn't exist during pop and it only required mindless killing of grey cons. It made sense with the lore, but what a pointless and unenjoyable time sink. While I could see the Devs saying what we did (working as a team to accomplish the objectives) was omg xploitz nerfs!!! It would be much more appropriated for them to take time to reflect and realize that this requirement was just... bad. Unfortunately, I see agree the 1st is more likely to happen than the second.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

Full disclosure...my guildmates and I take advantage of using a raid for hunter achievements all the time. :D

That being said, there is something very cheezy about that mechanic. I understand that its original intent was to ensure people on a raid got credit for a kill even if they had died and weren't in the zone when the kill happened...I get that part.

But, when TBL hit and everyone was trying to level up their gloves, there were literally whole guilds sitting AFK in the lobby/PoK while a group of members (or several groups from a whole bunch of guilds) were out slaughtering PoP and EoK/RoS zones to get the hunter achievements. That CAN'T be what the devs envisioned this mechanic being used for. It FEELS like an exploit, even if it isn't one.