Pet Peeves What's yours?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dyna, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You said this, 18 years ago

: )
    Bobokin, Kurage_of_Luclin and Flatchy like this.
  2. Shaantara Made of Moonlight

People who call the high elf cleric helm look as catlike when it is so obviously a bat....a sylvan bat to be exact. Cats have nothing to do with high elf lore but sylvan bats live in the Faydark. and in high elf cleric newbie armor the pieces are lined with sylvan bat fur.
    Vumad likes this.
  3. Seor New Member

Not being able to assign set bags or slots for weapons when using bandolier.
    Auto follow constantly running me into trees or in circles
    Bard songs that magically agro mobs from 2 miles away
    Poor bazaar level and feature search options (minor)
    Non trades kill stackables that cap at 20.
    Gnomes
    Sexy Troll likes this.
  4. LorthorSZ New Member

Fellowship Campfire need 3 people nearby to drop it. Would be really nice to have 2 or 1 drop it.
    Froglok and cadres like this.
  5. cadres Augur

quote="LorthorSZ, post: 3919698, member: 1778"]Fellowship Campfire need 3 people nearby to drop it. Would be really nice to have 2 or 1 drop it.[/quote]

Definitely this!
    Also, what happened to the plans for bigger fellowships?
    (it would be really good for people to be able to have thier alts in the same fellowship and/or not have to choose between being ina fellowship with their friends or their alts)
  6. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Being a short race and zoning under a Barbarian's kilt... ///o0\\\
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

My pet peeve is servers crashing yet again....
    Nadisia likes this.
  8. Zamiam Augur

Definitely this!
    Also, what happened to the plans for bigger fellowships?
    (it would be really good for people to be able to have thier alts in the same fellowship and/or not have to choose between being ina fellowship with their friends or their alts)[/quote]

what plans ? there were never any plans to increase fellowship ..
  9. Prepared Lorekeeper

My pet peeve has to do with all of the Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs) I've searched for information about not just this one. It's when people ask for information on the Internet about something in an MMORPG for help and someone gives them something like this:

"Just go to SPG in the XBA but don't run out of KGH because he'll spawn QTWs on you. Then you'll need help with ZBXG."

Seriously if someone is asking for information about an area or otherwise need to get something, don't use abbreviations or cryptic information that elite players know. Don't assume the person looking for information knows WTF you're talking about with cryptic information! If they knew the cryptic information about what it is you're talking about they'd not be asking for help! They'd know it already!
    Ayeam likes this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

TLPs have much more in common with the undead than the living.
    Szilent likes this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yeah, like Salmon, because english.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

But when they become grey cons they can still summon you...
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hard and Soft C and G Rules. When c is in front of an i, y, or e, it is soft and says /s/. For example: city, cycle, and race. When c is in front of any other letter, it is hard and says /k/.

http://syllableslearningcenter.com/learning-hard-and-soft-c-and-g-rules/

any other letter
    Lucan - Hard C
    Luclin - Hard C
    Lucky - Hard C

i,y or e
    Lucid - Soft C
    Lucy - Soft C
    Lucency - Soft C

[IMG]
  14. WhtRabbit Lorekeeper

"It's their not there!"

Grammar Snobs that insist online chatting in a game is the same thing as writing a book or English assignment. Chatting in an MMORP is a form of casual speaking in written form where no rules are observed. The primary goal is to get the message across. plz k thnx is as valid (if infuriating) a response as "Please and thank you!"

Seeing "I need X" where X can be levels or some random item.

Sorry to break this to you Karen... but this is a game not oxygen. You don't "Need" anything here.

Xp Leachers.

I get we all have real lives etc. But, if you an't got time to play LOG OFF! I'm not here to drag you across the finish line because EQ is hard. Also, literally nobody believes you when you say your roommate needs to go to the emergency room or your Wife is mad at you or that you have to go cook dinner at 2:30pm Central Time.

The Lobby Laggers
    Folks just sitting in the lobby for weeks at a time. What is this IRC? LOG OFF, reboot your computer, go play with your kids/dog/chi pet. I have a hundred bucks I'd be happy to send to a charity of DBG's choice if they'd just put in a forced log off timer that kicked in after 12 or even 24 hours of standing idle.

I'm a GIRL!

Sure you are Steve but on the off chance you are a real live girl. Why am I or anybody for that matter supposed to care? This is EQ not a dating site.

Can you tank? Hold agro? DPS? Know the answer to this or that question. That matters here, not your gender. If it's super duper important to you that I know then I have to assume that's because you are expecting me to show some sort of favoritism towards you. If so I got some bad news for ya :)

Ok, guys watch your language in guild/raid/group chat my kid is playing.
    First off, if your kid can type and read I can assure you they have heard/used every cuss word you've heard and probably a few you haven't.

Second I am not your babysitter or even a family member. I consider it the height of rudeness to thrust your kid in my face then demand I play by your rules. To be blunt I don't care about your kids innocence because it's not my responsibility to preserve it. That's your job. So if it's a major concern for you, don't toss them into a group of random adults you've never meet in real life.

I got banned but I didn't do anything wrong.
    Yeah you did and nobody believes you. I can't imagine why you think posting a thread here or anywhere else is going to matter.

If DBG doesn't do X I'm going to turn off my accounts and leave!
    Let me break this down.
    A. What you are doing there is called extortion and DBG is never going to respond to that.
    B. It's not the end of the world because this isn't the world it's a game. Adapt or Quit it's your choice
    C. We all know you are not in fact going to quit because that's just how it is so stop whining.
    D. No Karen you can't speak to the Manager.

I've got ton's more because I love to rant but this is already TLDR :)

W.
    Coagagin and Elyssanda like this.
  15. Etha Journeyman

Tanks complaining about pet taunt on raids.

Whenever patches go 5 minutes over and people ask for double xp. Having a heap/max aa used to be harder to do. More of an achievement. Now it's more about how many double xp weekends u have played

People who log in half way through an event then bid on drops, even worse when they win.

TS mats, no, please no.

People win raid drops but have no idea how to make or use the item.

People who win a diamond/muhbis and THEN ask for someone to make the TS bit for them. Not saying don't ask, but plan your loot. Get the TS stuff done in advance.

People who ask you to make a TS item but have not even bothered to look up what tradable bits they could get/give to you.

People who complain they can't get a group, you drop a bot for them and they proceed to ninja afk half the time. And the other half they are just talking. NO I don't have time to answer your silly questions while chain pulling and boxing 5 toons (no [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]).

When you help someone improve their dps and then when they finally beat you on a parse they just hang it on you. Just say thank you and move on, or don't say anything.
  16. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Nope. You can argue English rules until the heat death of the universe, it doesn't mean that words have to follow them. There are a ton of examples of "i before e except after c" not being true. That sets the precedent for this:

If Lucky needs a K after the C to make that sound, then so does Luclin.
    Luclin's root word is Lucid, or possibly Lucent. Neither have the hard C.
    Luclin lacks a K and it's root word is pronounced "Loo-sid", ergo, Luclin is pronounced "Loose-len".

Next thing we know you'll be arguing that Gif is pronounced like Jif despite the fact that the words Gift and Jif already exist.

Deal with it. (Sorry no soccer mom meme image)
  17. Nadisia Augur

Check at 11:25 (the forum doesn't seem to take the time code in the URL)

«Luck-clean» or «Loo-clean».

But «Loose-len»? Nevah !!! :D

[IMG]
  18. Sneakytoon New Member

Luclin

"Skuz
    Hard and Soft C and G Rules. When c is in front of an i, y, or e, it is soft and says /s/. For example: city, cycle, and race. When c is in front of any other letter, it is hard and says /k/."
    Luclin - Hard C

ALSO,

A silent "e" can make the vowel before it into a long sounding vowel. For example, in the words "code" and "wine" the "e" prevents them from being "cod" and "win." The "e" allows them to make the long
    sound and say their names.

The silent e or sneaky e phonics rule states that the e at the end of a word does not make a sound, meaning it's silent, but it sneaks and makes the first vowel in the word say its own name, meaning it changes that vowel's sound from short to long vowel sound.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You're wrong & doubling-down doesn't make you right it makes you ignorant, I mean if you prefer to use Loose-Lin go ahead I'm not going to smack you in the face for it language certainly can be fairly flexible it does evolve over time through what becomes "common usage" but your reasoning is simply incorrect.

Jif was a trademarked kitchen-cleaning product and used a contraction of the word Jiff, itself a contraction of the word Jiffy which meant a short amount of time. e.g. I'll be there in a Jiffy, I'll be there in a Jiff.

The Hard G used in "Gift" is an exception because the word entered English from Norse which was an old Germanic Language which used the hard G sound.

The soft G rule applies for Giraffe - it is pronounced like Jiraffe, Gyroscope is pronounced Jyroscope & Geoff is pronounced like Jeff.
    So strictly speaking using Jif as the pronunciation for Gif is correct if you follow the rules since Gif didn't originate in a Norse/Old Germanic language.
    However that said most people I hear using the word say it with a hard G, common usage for an acronym that really should be said as the three individual letters G.I.F.

Funny thing happens when you sound out the letters though - Jee Aye Eff

English is tricky as it has exceptions to its rules due to having borrowed so many words from overseas from being invaded & its colonial past from having been an invader and while the rules aren't always set in stone are generally followed, Juggernaut & Dungarees for example aren't English words, they came from India.
  20. Wiff Elder

People that type "pst" when they are selling/buying something. Anyone that knows what "pst" means already knows they should send you a tell. You don't need to tell us.

People that type "deeps". It defeats the purpose of an initialism to purposely make it longer just to try to sound cool.
    Skuz likes this.