Server issues?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Crazzie, May 25, 2020.

1. Crazzie Lorekeeper

I am hearing that there might be huge downtime, loading of zones and crashes and the fact you may have roll backs. Is this true? what was your experience like. Its been a couple years for me. Not sure why after all these TLPs we are having more issues, so i am hearing horror stories off the start.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This game is "fairly" reliable, it isn't amazingly reliable or very poor, but it's kind of middling.

No game is immune to problems & we have seen issues across the whole 21 years that the game has been running.

The most recent downtime & server performance issues are not even close to the worst we have seen them when the game was at its zenith.

Some players get bent out of shape about them to an unreasonable degree, most players will say their piece about how they are unhappy & be done with it & some really don't see what all the fuss is about.

I'm personally fairly philosophical about it, so long as the team doesn't give us a wall of radio-silence & keeps us informed about the problems & what they are doing to tackle them I'm okay with it. It's inconvenient that my favourite hobby is not available to me but I have other stuff I can do when it is a patch day or the servers are experiencing prolonged downtime.

Poor server performance that lasts a while is more problematic than downtime in my opinion, no access to the game I am fine with when there is a reason, lousy server performance, constant crashes, rollbacks, lag spikes, chat channel outages are a bigger inconvenience as they are often far far more difficult to nail down the cause & effect a proper fix for them.
    If it gets too bad I prefer to log off than endure crap server performance, sometimes that can last for far too long though, Antonius Bayle where I used to play for example had several tremendously extended runs of bad performance that lasted not hours or days but months at a time. DBG even ended up offering AB players free transfers to Vox for a while as it was so bad for so long.
    Crazzie, GNOME_POWER and Nolrog like this.
  3. Balderdash Lorekeeper

New TLP server launches can have issues. There is often a mad rush of people trying to log in minute one which causes log in problems for many that can continue for hours. Popular newbie zones can be a problem as well when you get hundreds of level ones all trying to load in and function all at the same time as well. Once the population has spread out a bit and with load balancing the issues generally get resolved fairly quickly.

I view the chaos and craziness of a new TLP launch as all part of the fun so I don’t get bent out of shape. If you get frustrated easily and will get butt hurt that by the time you were able to get into the game that there were already level 5s then launch day is probably not for you.
  4. Barton The Mischievous

I will try and be fair and will stick to the issue of new server launches and not server mergers, patch days, server maintenance, or occasional server issues. Note this is all my opinion, others may vary but this one is mine.

The main issue on launch day imo is the login server. It can only take so much and it gets hit hard.
    In an ideal world where DPG could spend any amount of money, they would just fix this.
    In reality I think they probably just can't justify the expense as new server launches only happen a few times a year at most.
    Another major issue is the newly launched server itself in the first few days of launch.
    Server zones can only take so much and from what DPG has said pickzones use quite a bit of resources.

So we have tons of people located in very few zones and pickzones spinning up as fast as they can...and the zones lag and the server lags and sometimes it just crashes.
    Usually as people level and start to spread out into more zones things start to stabilize.
    iirc on Mangler the first 10 hours were the worst, after day three things were a lot better and by the end of the first week even the Forever Zoning(TM) and zoning crashes were for the most part gone.

Although with the release of LDoN there seems to be issues for Mangler because of all the mission zones spinning up.

So in summary, Is it perfect? Oh heck no day 1 of Mangler was a huge pain but by day 2 a lot of things were better and by day 3 most things were good. For a team that is running a 21 year old game with limited personnel and capital. I think they do a pretty decent job on most things and I am sure they are doing the best they can. EDIT: Some spelling errors
    Skuz likes this.