Seriously Disappointed

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Genjo, May 21, 2020.

1. Cicelee Augur

I think some Everquest players need therapists to talk to them once a week about some things...
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It could have been down a lot longer if they kept them down to fix the missing shared bank and plat issues.

They are doing what they can with a very old game, sometimes they change things and something completly unconnected breaks.

We were down previously for backend changes so they could do the merges, so I don't think they were blindly applied, it is just EQ being her usual self and breaking unconnected things. They also said there was a new hardware issue.

While the server being down maybe frustrating and I was disapointed I'd rather be able to play knowing that things are stable and the bugs they have found will be fixed soon.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You pay for a service that says it will have down times. You get a service that has down times. What are you not getting?
  4. dreadlord Augur

Again , it's very very strange to me that so many people so vehemently defend a commercial company not giving a service that's paid for.

So. Your employment contract probably says you will do x , y and z and 'other duties as deemed necessary by the company' or words to that effect. You are, say, an admin clerk. The company decides that in addition to your 40 hours of clerking you will spend 30 hours a week washing windows and another 30 delivering supplies.(for no extra cash or time off, of course) But you'll be perfectly happy with this, because that's in the literal wording of your contract?
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually it is so many folks pointing out that it is reasonable to expect outages. It isn't about defending Daybreak at all.

All your analogies are flawed.

Lets use this analogy.. A game company in its user agreement says something like this "Daybreak does not ensure continuous or error-free access or availability of any Daybreak Game(s). "

and then the game has an outage of 36 hours or so.

Thats a great analogy.. oh wait that actually happened.

Now if you want an analogy like yours a clerk is hired and told their standard work week will be 40 hours but that the company cannot guarantee that and sometimes they may have fewer hours. One week the clerk gets 39.5 hours and started crying about being compensated.

Now THAT is an accurate analogy with the exception that the clerk lost a much larger percentage of time compared to the outage.
  6. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

You're trying to compare things that are not even remotely the same thing. The game is constantly updated, every month the game is going to be down for at least a day. This is nothing new, yet every month people come to the forums demanding a free day or free XP or free what ever. It gets old and people are tired of hearing it again and again for something that's scheduled every month.
  7. Pawtato Augur

You all are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Look at DPG’s side, they lost effectively 2 days of marketplace and Krono sales. So, what do you do to recover lost revenue? You offer a “We’re sorry for the inconvenience,” event. This time it just happened that it was Memorial Day weekend bonus events and sales already.

Also, that’s poor planning of having major patch and server merge before a 3 day weekend. You’re never supposed to major changes before a holiday.
    dreadlord likes this.
  8. dreadlord Augur

I am not interested in, say, bard discs. I don't play a bard. So if there's a thread called 'bard discs' I don't read it. If there's a thread called 'yet another problem' and it turns out to be about bard discs I stop reading it. i certainly don't go back time and time again to complain about people talking about something I'm not interested in. It boggles my brain that all these disinterested folk come to have a go at all the folk who feel strongly about this.
    I am not aware of anyone complaining about scheduled downtime. I am aware of people complaining about the *subsequent* downtime and the lack of information appertaining to that. (caveat, i may not have read/retained every single post)
  9. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I don't play on the TLP servers so you don't see me going through threads and posting there. And here you go again with the "Lack of Information"... Like I said before we got updated ETA's and info on what the problem was/what was happening. What else did you want? Minute by Minute/Play by Play updates?

The reason people keep coming here to post against these threads asking for free stuff is because we strongly feel it's not warranted. You think a patch running longer than planned warrants hand outs, I think it doesn't. I can post my opinion just like anyone else can, I can pick and choose which threads I want to read/comment on whether I agree with the topic or not. That's what the forums are for, to bring discussion, just because people don't agree with your stance doesn't mean they can't read it or disagree with it. Sure I ignore stuff I don't feel like getting into but when half the forum page is people complaining about a patch it's kind of hard to ignore it/not see it.
  10. dreadlord Augur

And. Again.This is not accurate! Yes there were updates. Until there wasn't. There were at least 2 posts from staff specifically saying they would not give updates They couldn't say whether it would take 5 minutes or 5 years. I find that astonishing. I have never, in any work or life situation encountered something where i couldn't say 'this will take me at least an hour; probably more like 3'. I have said this several times yet you keep coming back with the same point

I would, personally, never tell someone who had spent their hard-earned cash on something that they somehow didn't deserve a refund/recompense. I don't think it's my business. I remain astonished that folk think that people should not get what they pay for and should not ask for a refund. Ask ebay how many refunds they give for items around $1 - the answer is 'a lot'. People still bother to make a complaint and get their money back even when it's a small amount of money. People usually expect what they pay for - especially from multinational corporations - no-one is asking to take food out of the proverbial mouths of babes.
  11. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I agree.

I'd like to point out something and not to shoot my own foot with a counter to what I have been saying... But my issue has never been about the company having to do these things as these are expected, even if prolonged sadly. My gripe is how casual people are with "oh, it's ok". But if you are going free to play/testing... they are still supporting you.

Even if you are not supporting them anymore, for reasons you have already stated which are good reasons in a sense, they will still be taking care of you. You may no longer have the same benefits as before, but you can still play it moderately the same. Lets not trash talk EQ to others alright? DB and the EQ community have enough problems of their own as it is. It's still a great game, just has a few quirks about it.

Yes and they do this on purpose or some people would complain they are not getting what they paid for. o_O So really it those people we need to be upset about, not Daybreak. ^^!
    Sokki likes this.
  12. Magneress Augur

I think everyone cruises these boards when there's an outage or w/e they are bored with downtime at work occasionally. I really doubt a lot of the negative people speak for the majority of the community.

This is 2020 and even the people who didn't have internet in 1981 are starting to get hip to the net and the ire it brings out in enabling a vocal minority of very angry selfish people.

That said, the last set of outages were very annoying and could have been handled better. It is not the MMOaccalypse people are making it out to be.

You are in more danger of this game getting randomly sold over seas and then shut down so Warner Brothers or Disney can sit on the intellectual property. And sell little snippits of its code base to shell companies full of lawyers to harras the competition in the market. Tis how the world works and where the battles are faught.

Be grateful the servers ever come up at all. If you wan't to do better, make an MMO company, hire a lot of lawyers and launch a better service. Or join the mafia and rake in the $$$$$ hosting. Just like any other Internet Service Provider.

I think Daybreak aka Darkpaw handled it well. I hope when they split from the other communities into Darkpaw we get some more small business attention! And the devs and server ops can focus on EQ instead of several games + EQ. Even if it's just one dedicated full time server op and some part time server ops.
  13. Magneress Augur

I sure know I do, but I have a hard time picking up the phone even when someone calls to check I am still alive lol. *sighs* I got better things to be upset about, do, not do, then complain on an internet forum about people and the world. That doesn't stop me from dropping a lil dose of reality and objective perspective, but it does mean I don't try to make a hobby of it.
  14. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

My bad, I missed the one where they said they didn't have an eta as I had went to bed before the previous ETA came to pass and when I woke up in the morning the servers were back on anyways. But you've obviously never had a problem where you didn't even know what the cause of the problem was, this happens in games. They can't give you an ETA because they first need to figure out what the actual issue is, once they figure out the problem they can give you an ETA on how long the problem will take to fix. But you can't provide an ETA until you at least have an idea of what is needed to fix it.

But you have got what you paid for, you're just not happy with it. You had access to any of the other games that come with your subscription the entire time. You originally bought the subscription knowing very well the game would not be up 100% of the time. You got the game that was not up 100% of the time and now you're mad.

I don't call up the cable company anytime there's an outage of my internet demanding a refund for a day of missed time. That service is way more expensive and I pay for it with the premise that I will have 100% access all the time. Sh*t happens if it goes down for a day I chalk it up as unfortunate and move on. If it was down for a whole week, yeah I would probably call then and be like what are you going to do about this. Like I pointed out earlier the last time EQ was down a week they compensated everyone an entire month.
  15. dreadlord Augur

And that's exactly why folk didn't ask for an ETA, and an ETA (per se) was not what I mentioned in my example. But you can give a 'this will not be fixed in an hour' or 'we will know more in an hour and update you then' or *something*.
    Perhaps the answer is there - you went to bed - I'd sat waiting for servers to come up.

No.See my earlier response re Froggy Comics. I sub to EQ. You throw random trash in with that - that doesn't make me feel any better.I don't want randomtrash. My friends/guildies do not play in randomtrash. I have no ongoing quests in randomtrash. I play EQ in all my leisure time - why would I want to mess with another game?
    I'm not mad the game wasn't up 100% of the time
    I'm not *mad* about anything - except people who tell me I have no right to be less than pollyanna-ish about it all
    I am displeased that the company cannot be bothered to make regular updates. I work in communications. I turn out many many thousands of words when our product fails to deliver in any way. I don't expect anything here I don't deliver myself 24/7.
    And I expect that when *any* company fails to deliver it should make appropriate restitution to its customers whether that's a dime in a vending machine or a Mercedes that breaks down.

Really? I pay far far more for my EQ subs than my internet. Add in the hardware and it's just not in the same league. I could give a whole load of examples where people are routinely compensated when something is unavailable for less than a day
  16. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

And if they would of been vague about it, you would have just as many people mad about that. No matter what they do they're not going to make 100% of people happy.

You sure could of fooled me, if you weren't mad about it you wouldn't be here trying to defend getting compensated so vehemently. Like I said above regardless of the other games being included or not, you still have EQ to play. You just didn't get it up for as long as you wanted, even though it's well known ALL SERVERS WILL BE DOWN EVERY MONTH. You still got EQ to Play the servers are up, yet any slight hiccup in their updates and everyone wants free shi*t. Be happy the game is even still here after 20+ years, they no longer have a staff of 100 people supporting the game. It's been running with a minimal crew for years now, these kinds of things are bound to happen. If you can't accept that do like the other person did, go to test and play for free then you don't have to worry about losing money.

If your internet bill is less than an EQ sub, Sign me up!! My internet bill is a lot more than my EQ bill. And I'm sure there's company's that compensate for stuff being down less than a day. EQ isn't one of them, since it's guaranteed to be down at least once a month. I'm sure if I called my cable company for having 1 day down they wouldn't compensate me either and they're not even scheduling down times on a monthly basis.
  17. dreadlord Augur

It's a truism that all the people cannot be pleased all the time. for me, vague is fine - if there's an explanation. EQ has a long history of appalling communication. (specifically the lack thereof)
    Trust me, I am not mad. If I was mad, there would be rallies and petitions and politicians and goodness knows what. I am displeased. I am less than 100% happy; I am disappointed; I am slightly miffed. As are others. See, for eg, the OP and title of this thread. Most posts have been sensible and measured and are certainly not furious.
    To reiterate: I do not want any free stuff (personally, I cannot speak for all the other folk who may want all sorts of things). I want a) Most of all - for them to do better in terms of communications; and b) to add x amount of time (where x is downtime which is both unscheduled and their fault) to people's accounts - ie a proportional refund.
    And once again (why do I have to keep repeating this?!) - I don't care that the servers were down. They can be down for 2 weeks every month *if* I have notice in advance so I am not sitting waiting. (obviously I would prefer this to not be the case, but it's better than sitting waiting for something that doesn't happen) More than wasting money, I really hate wasting my time.
    Playing test will not give me any achievements. (it's funny how some folk love to tell others what to do with their time...) I am happy to pay for EQ. I am not happy to pay for something I do not get; whether it's the price of a coffee or whatever

If your internet bill is so much more than your EQ bill, I suspect you only have 1/2 account(s). I have more. Some people have many many more. That adds up to a fair amount of cash each month.
  18. Sarcogian Augur

i agree with whatever sokki has said up to this point. i don't know what he said, but i agree with him.

hi sokki.
    Yinla and Sokki like this.
  19. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Long time no see!! how ya been man =)
    Sarcogian likes this.
  20. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Excuse me, yes Mr. Senator, I'd like a moment of your time to speak to you about Everquest. You see its a 20 year old game with a monthly operational availability of in excess of 90%, i personally think it should be 100%, but regardless. You simply must investigate the shenanigans going on over there. I pay $10 a month and I demand action! I know 100K people have died of COVID-19 but this is clearly the atrocity of my lifetime. I had to face real life for 2 days while the game was down! Can you not imagine the horror?