Get rid of keying

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by kathulu20, May 23, 2020.

1. TheChosenOne Augur

lol way to try and alienate a huge percentage of the playerbase because they arent neckbeards that can play all day and grind away

Keying in PoP is essentially what makes that entire expansion burn everyone out and quit. Forget about making an alt character, the backflagging is way too intense of a process unless you're in a neckbeard guild like Resolute
  2. TheChosenOne Augur

Its because there is a percentage of the population in EQ TLPs that have 40+ hours a week to spend playing. They like it this way because they have the ungodly amount of hours to invest into it and know that others don't. so this gives them a leg up in their virtual world where they can feel superior
    MattThePhat and Skuz like this.
  3. Beep Elder

Keys make me feel like a high skilled player compared to people who don't have time to spend acquiring them. Don't take this away from me, I am very skilled!
  4. Rakete Lorekeeper

Add keys like VP or VT to Ingame shop for 3.99$.

Profit.
  5. Telora New Member

Why not just leave it like live and level unlock them?
  6. Rakete Lorekeeper

You haven't experienced the beauty of trying to get certain ground spawns for the VP key, did you?
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You maybe don't understand how level unlocking works, but TLP already have level unlocking just like live.

To Enter VP without keying the server would have had to have already progressed long beyond Kunark being the current expansion.
  8. Telora New Member

I meant without the two expansion delay.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ah I see.

I would strongly disagree with that then.

I think the keying should stay but I do see merits to speeding up the process on servers that are unlocking expansions at a faster pace, the later game already does this.
  10. Aueman Journeyman

As one of the people currently here, I m not disappointed in Dythan at all.
  11. Koniku Elder

While I personally wouldn't mind the keys being removed, I think you need to consider that there are many people who come to these TLP servers for a race and that the logistics and competition of keying a raidforce are a big component of what makes the game interesting to them.
    So, while making VP not require a key in Velious is fine, and making VT an open zone in PoP is fine, removing the keys in their respective eras would be detrimental to the game and size of the community. This is true whether or not you think racing guilds have value on the server.
  12. Protagonist Tank

Pretty much all EQ content is just a speedbump between you and end game loot. You could apply this same argument to leveling, early gearing, AAing, et cetera.

Because you dislike a mechanic doesn't suddenly require it to be defended on servers that are specifically targeting people who want to retain old mechanics.
    MattThePhat likes this.
  13. Pawtato Augur

It's a vocal minority that enjoys the keys. If, the keys hadn't been designed to just block broken content then it'd be ok.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  14. Komodon Augur

Speaking as one of those people who tends to literally put in double those hours, and who's probably spent more total time then most willingly grinding through the most extreme game and player created time sinks EQ can create in the name of maintaining that separation barrier between the hardcore and casual crowd....the actual % of those people you refer to who *wouldn't* be in favor of tuning down some of the early keying "competition" that happens on these TLPs is probably a lot smaller then you think.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  15. RandomStrategy Augur

Greatly increasing the spawn/drop rates to match the shortened time is the obvious solution, as all other spawn times for raid bosses were decreased due to the shortened release schedule of TLPs.

If you argue against that, your logic fails, then, as you claim we must maintain the old mechanics, but argue against longer release schedules. Logically for those who want to maintain the "classicness", you would have the exact same release schedule for all expansions. Because it's more "Classic".

The reality is we've all done these key quests multiple times already, and places like Fungus Grove is stupidly designed for TLPs.

The logical solution is to multiply the spawn/drop rates of the key pieces according to the shortened timeline of releases.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  16. Magickon Augur

Dude. You mention "the bottom of chardok"? The chardok piece is of no consequence to anyone.

#1 It's not even close to the bottom of chardok. Not by the wildest exaggeration.

#2 Niblet or whatever the heck his name is can literally be pulled to the zone in by anyone that has good faction in chardok just by walking up to him and smacking him. Waa, waaa, waa, good faction in chardok takes so long to get! No, it does not. It's so trivially easy to get indifferent to chardok, and again, only ONE person needs to be non-kos to chardok to drag that stupid little mouse to the zone in so the key can be looted. Or heck, they can just drag the player's corpse down to him and res somewhere in one of the MULTIPLE safe locations that are close to him. Or do the completely unthinkable and just bring a normal group to the camp and just kill your way down. It really doesn't take much time at all. Frankly complaining about the chardok piece is just so laughable that you have got to be trolling, and I have serious doubts that you have done anything in the game without someone else doing it for you.

#3 Requiring you to go to kc? KC is one of several zones that a person can go to for grinding some experience in. It's a really easy zone. Multiple classes can solo that camp.

#4 You said that you've only ever soloed in it. That is a direct admission that you have not been in a raiding guild during kunark. That's why you have a hard time getting a key! Your competing with entire GUILDS. If you are going to play in kunark and want to raid in vp, join a guild that is also working on keys. Yours will be easier to get. You do a camp help some people get some key pieces, the next day you login to see a guildmate say, "have ancient jasarth rotting, someone come loot this". Or planned raids where picks are spawned so people can get guaranteed ground spawns.

If you are not in a raiding guild in kunark, what the hell are you doing even about getting a VP key? You have got to be trolling. You then say, "I consider myself very hardcore." You sound like someone who says they have a fast car, but actually drives a broken down honda civic that thinks it's badass because they put a couple decals on it.
    MattThePhat likes this.
  17. Eilad Lorekeeper

I could live with that, you get my vote.

That OR :

At half time through current extension, unlock AOC to enable entry without keying.
  18. Thrudd New Member

Keying is necessary for OW so the trolls and lazy people not able to muster the effort aren't in the OW zones messing with the people that actually want to put in the effort. If you want the extra loot, you should put in the effort for the keys.

I see no issue with removing keys for AOC so that anyone can use the instance without screwing with people that want to put in the effort or removing the keys after the next expac is available.

The whole point of the expansions up to Planes of Power is pretty much competition. If you don't want competition, you can play one of the normal servers.

As for time to make those keys? It's not that hard if you have a dedicated guild willing to pull together and help each other. My last raid guild had VP cleared in the first week of Kunark, but we were about as hardcore as you can possibly get for keying.
    Trevalon likes this.
  19. Green_Mage Augur

They should keep keys as is for the open world version of raid content. But all instance content pre-PoP should be key free.

This will preserve competition for the few guilds that like that stuff. And will let the rest of us just enjoy the game without being forced into "competition" over ground spawns or whatever.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  20. Ishbu Augur

All keys shouldnt be lumped together as a problem.

There really is no issue with, for example, the howling stones key. It takes a small time investment, but easily doable for appropriately interested characters.

Many of the key items/shards in luclin and flags in PoP arent terrible either. Its just those few that really bottleneck things, like parts of the VP key or BoT medallions. Make some tweaks in the necessary places and all sides can be ok with the compromise
    MattThePhat likes this.