Get rid of keying

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by kathulu20, May 23, 2020.

1. kathulu20 Journeyman

I love this game! And there is so much I have never seen because I can't spend the time to camp to get keys. Any chance we could forget keying this round? Would it break the game?
    Dunamys and Kalipto like this.
  2. Tierdal Augur

put the work in to key for stuff?
    Dunamys likes this.
  3. Trevalon Augur

Honestly, now that I'm 8 servers and 14 years into TLP servers...I would be ok with getting rid of keys lol.

At least they made VP easier....
    Kalipto likes this.
  4. RandomStrategy Augur

For the love of all that is good, DPG, at leasg make the Fungus Grove shard drop off of more mobs...six in the entire zone on 20 minute respawn timers is stupid.

Same for the rate in Maiden's Eye.
    Dunamys and Fudly like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Changing the existing keying quests to something else would require a fair bit of work to redesign them.

Changes have been made but those tended to make the quests require more interaction than less (removing the ability to Multi-Quest medallions for VP access for example).

I wouldn't object to making them less "grindy" by increasing drop rates of parts or increasing the number of spawn locations or increasing the spawn rates of ground spawns & types of mobs that can drop parts.

Some like the grind, I was never a fan of too much grind but everyone has a different sense of how much grind is enough to make it valuable & where too much makes it just a bad player experience.

So my feeling is that the quests should stay as is just alleviate the grind on the worst time-sinks involved, nobody wants to feel like they are taking time for the sake of taking time.
  6. sumnayin2 Augur

You could always just not get keyed. Nothing in VP is even worth the effort unless you don't mind getting the key. The only people to blame for people that have "done the key on 8 TLPs" are the people that do 8 TLPs. #Lifechoicesmatter
  7. Magickon Augur

If you don't think VP is worth it, why do you even play at all in kunark?
  8. Tucoh Augur

+1 vote for removing keys or increasing their drop rates
  9. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

-1 casuals should not see keyed content. No key is impossible, or a barrier to content. It is literally the minimum required to play EQ. If you can't muster that amount of effort, hello kitty is available.
    MattThePhat likes this.
  10. Trevalon Augur

Look a Resolute try hard. As one of the few that created that guild tag your currently sporting, I can say we are all disappointed in you.
  11. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Log back in and let's discuss it. Happy to have you back in the fold, conquering new content and earning new loots.
  12. Xeris Augur

If you couldn't raid VP in era you're definitely not very hardcore. I like the barriers to entry. I don't think things should just be handed to people. Put in the work to get the key. In era anyone can get the key that wants to. You may not be the first, but you can get it.

The first few weeks of Kunark is gonna be terrible, but by week 8-9 it'll be pretty easy to get the key. Even as a casual gamer you should be able to do it in a few hours worth near the end of the expansion. Not sure why that's an issue...
    MattThePhat likes this.
  13. enclee Augur

I'd like to see keying be more player friendly. Expansions exist in a shorter timeline. Increase the spawns or make the all keys work like the ToFS floors. In ToFS only 1 member needs the key to move the group.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Minpire Augur

+25% to Key Drop rates can allow more players to do more things than waste 2-3 weeks of keying Members out of a 3month time frame.
    Killians, TheChosenOne and Skuz like this.
  15. Xeris Augur

Hardcore guild will get keys to VP and be raiding VP for 11/12 weeks of Kunark. Casual guilds will raid VP for 3-4 weeks at the end of the expac... There's nothing wrong with this system
    MattThePhat likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In later expansions keys that drop from raid kills or flags for items that record amount of kills do get increased on accelerated unlock schedule servers, so in my view that sets a reasonable precedent.

I do not want the actual keys removed or the quests changed, but I would like to see them made much faster due to how much shorter each expansion is "in era" on accelerated unlock schedule TLP's.

I think speeding up the keying process for earlier expansions is actually long overdue on TLP.
    Players should still have to earn the access to those zones but they don't have 12 months per expansion like live servers did they have 1/4 of that on the Mangler/Aradune/Rizlona unlock system.

I would propose doubling the spawn rate of key mobs & ground spawns, and Doubling the likelihood of mobs dropping things like Lucid Shards on a 12 week unlock expansion. This would bring the earlier expansions into line with the way later ones are keyed.
    Once the Hardcore guilds are done ( at a doubled rate they would be done & out of the way of everyone else far faster) the less hardcore guilds can get theirs done & everyone will get a reasonable amount of time to farm the raid events.
  17. Roxas MM Augur

keys to end zones are an important part of EQ, since Kunark. sure some stuff can be eased down a bit, but removing keys is a big no in my view. if you want the best possible gear in era, you have to put some effort in it.
    MattThePhat, Yinla and Skuz like this.
  18. Pawtato Augur

-1 keying for content only existed because the content behind the keys wasn’t finished. I thought everyone knew that SOE used to lie about the existence of key mobs to hide that they were releasing things that were broke AF.

Unfortunately, a bunch of people that tied their self-worth to RNG spawn cycles defended that system. Now, we have to forever deal with bad game development.

Edited for autocorrect.
    Skuz and TheChosenOne like this.
  19. Protagonist Tank

This is the same request as the "Slow down release rates" just phrased in the opposite direction, and the same answers apply: A server catering to people who can only play an hour or two a week is not viable. The people who would actually be carrying you through those raids would burn out and leave before holding your hand through the content you want to see.
    MattThePhat likes this.
  20. Pawtato Augur

Wait how would they burn out? Aren’t the people getting keyed over and over more likely to burn out, before having to go through another round of keying?

How do people still defend the existence of keying? The keying process was only there to block people from realizing the content wasn’t finished.
  21. Mestops12 Lorekeeper

Keying should be a requirement for OW targets.
    Remove it from instances.

Both sides win.