Returning to EQ (Aradune) after a *long* pause

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Datura, May 23, 2020.

1. Datura New Member

Greetings !

I'm planning on returning to EQ after a pretty long hiatus, about 20 years or so...

I played since (pretty much) launch up to a couple of months after Luclin came out and haven't touched the game since then.
    For those interested I was on Karana since, at the time, it had the most Euro players or so was the word of mouth anyway...

I've had an itch to come back to the game for quite a bit of time actually, but couldn't be bothered after having missed so many expansions.
    Which is why the launch of new TLP servers, going through the timeline progressively, seems to be a perfect opportunity for me : it makes the prospect of coming back much less daunting :D

I wonder though : since I plan on not boxing and many people (seemingly) will, do you think I will have a hard time getting into groups ? I will in all likelihood be maining an enchanter for what it's worth.

I look forward to seeing you all ingame !
  2. Sturn Augur

As an enchanter, you won't be free of group invite spam unless you walk around "anon".
  3. Barder-mangler Augur

If you are playing non boxed, enchanter is the clear choice. You’ll never have issues finding a group, and if you do, you can always solo or duo with literally any healer (and many other classes). But you’ll never be LFG more than 5 minutes, and enchanters are generally really good at tagging other enchanters into groups when they are logging.

If you find yourself LFG for more than a few minutes just ask the enchanter channel if anyone is looking for a rep, probably 80% of the time you will get a tell. Always look to join an established group first, as you won’t have to worry about finding a camp.
  4. Mrjon3s Augur

So enchanters aren't played like they were back then. You have to charm now. The dps from charmed pets can pretty much outdps the rest of the group unless you were stacking monks. Group wise you will always find one as an enchanter. If for some strange reason you can't just look for a healer and start one.
  5. Protagonist Tank

* CHA doesn't matter anymore. Gear for AC and HP.

* Charm is your primary duty now. Mez secondary. Maintaining haste/clarity tertiary.

* Most people don't box in the beginning. It's very common, you'll have at least one boxer in most groups - but the majority won't be for the first month or two.

* Enchanters are the FOTM class for the first several expansions. You'll have plenty of group invites.
    Trevalon and Datura like this.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Really? We don't have enough threads on this?
  7. Cohhfarmage Journeyman

Thanks for bumping my reply. Yes, this again. The truth annoys you?
  8. MaestroM Augur

If the next pair of TLPs had 1 mangler/aradune and 1-charm nerfed server, i wouldn't complain.

But that's where DPG should focus their resources going forward. Give us a new mangler/aradune every 2 years and pair the releases with an experimental TLP server that has one or more weird mechanics.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, no.
  10. Trevalon Augur

This is pretty good.

I will reiterate that charm is the single most important thing a chanter will do. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, DONT PLAY A CHANTER. I had 2 or 3 chanters join my groups on Mangler that said they don't charm...lol, they got booted immediately...
    code-zero likes this.
  11. sumnayin2 Augur

The main problem is that everyone is under some weird impression that enchanters can't do any damage unless they charm. I've seen enchanters sit at full mana for hours because they don't need to mez anything. I mean, I get it, people are sheep and need to be told what to do; once someone told them that charm is their DPS they don't even realize they have nukes and dots.

Hell, there was a thread last week where a guy didn't know how to level an enchanter to 11 because he was convinced they had no nukes. Can't make this stuff up.

My point is, if you didn't boot those enchanters for not charming, they would just sit in a corner doing nothing when there weren't adds to mez.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Boxing at launch Is the least likely... boxing picks up as attrition sets in and players need help to progress in a timely manner. Especially at launch many boxers only play 1 toon.
  13. Datura New Member

Thank you everyone for your reply !
    I'd have posted earlier but for some reason I got an error message saying i didn't have enough privileges to post ?! :confused: I cleared my browser's cookies and now everything's in order.

I had no idea there was such salt about the class being so OP, I picked it because it was my first character back in the day... I've always liked enchanters / hexers types of casters, be it in Pen & Paper or CRPGs so it was an easy choice for me.

Anyways, I appreciate the advice regarding stats : back in the day everyone and their mother stacked CHA like crazy and from what I've read here and there it's pretty much irrelevant, outside of some very minor lull fail mitigation and tertiary charm resist checks.
    So, should I go for AGI > STA or STA > AGI for a Dark Elf ?

Another quick question if I may : what do you guys typically use to break charm before Kunark and the Goblin Gazughi ring ?
    I remember using my DE "Hide" ability most of the time or casting Invisibility when I had to be sure it would work, but maybe there are better ways ?
  14. MaestroM Augur

I'll let other people speak to how to break charm, but agi > sta usually for DE.

There's a lot of debate around CHA and its role, but all of that can be ignored. Even those folks who say CHA helps agree the cap on CHA is very low (like 200 CHA). With self buffs and a few pieces of gear you would have picked up anyways you'll be almost 200 CHA in classic without putting any starting points there.

So either agi or stam is good. I think it probably makes more sense to take Agi over Sta, because you're going to be runed all of the time. From what I read, agi = more dodge, which works whether you're runed or not.
  15. Dingodog New Member

Ill be starting up on Aradune. Will be duel boxing a sham warrior combo with Ranger Cleric alts after. I have always duel boxed since EQ came out. Never went over 3 accounts at a time. 2 is comfortable. You are welcome to hang with me. I have several spots to level. Dingodog and Artic.
    MaestroM likes this.
  16. code-zero Augur

Something that the charm nerf types don't want to admit is that just charming something isn't going to make the best DPS. You'll need to learn what mobs make the best pets and which ones just need to be burned down. Recently there were a number of changes to charm, some of the previous best pets were named and those were changed to be immune to charm. Gating or CotH will break charm now.
    Have fun!
  17. Protagonist Tank

Hide is the best method in Classic. Insta-cast invis pots are a good backup.