get new blood in eq

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mark, May 22, 2020.

1. mark Augur

so a teenage family member started playing eq recently and a few days ago while she was playing the game she decided to stream eq to her friends and a few of them are interest in playing the new tlp,just an idea how to get some new players in eq.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

That's not an idea, that's a story.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As bobbybick rightly said, you gave us a story not an idea about how to get fresh blood into EQ.

If there is anything to be learned from it then it is that "word of mouth" is just as important to younger players as it is to us old players.

Some crusty old 50 year old guy streaming a 21 year old game is not going to resonate with younger players unless he is a celebrity they know from elsewhere perhaps.

So here is an actual idea.

To promote EverQuest via a streamer you need some younger player with clout, a following, some hype on their name streaming about the game to capture interest from the younger crowd via that method.

Perhaps DPG could find a young up & coming streamer who would be happy to stream EQ & see if it generates interest, how would they do this? Well I am guessing some form of arrangement where they sponsor the streamer in some way in exchange for them streaming this game on their platform as part of their repertoire of games, or they could make some Merchanidise that the streamer could offer during their streaming sessions as giveaways for their audience.

EverQuest should try to do more to capitalise on its status as the grandfather of 3d MMORPG's, merchandise that plays to that venerable status could one day even make the game seem "cool" again, hell if the Kardashians can walk around in Iron Maiden T-Shirts when they probably don't even know who they are means almost anything can be cool on a T-Shirt.
  4. Pawtato Augur

No one cares about EQ. You’re not going to attract the streaming audience by sitting in a camp auto-attacking. It’s not WoW Classic that had a major cultural impact.
    Minpire likes this.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Only way to get new blood into this community is for a current addict to get a transfusion.
    Fredescu, Aenvar, Tucoh and 2 others like this.
  6. Minpire Augur

Most people with that power require $150,000 USD to promote it for 2 weeks or more $
    A younger crown would find Everquest Very Difficult and have to self satisfaction about what they are doing ASAP.

Not sure how BOUNTY BOARDS work on twitch, but im sure money is involved with that to.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Pawtato likes this.
  8. Pawtato Augur

They’re going to find it too easy. Most games have moved away from tab-target to more active game play. It’s significantly more engaging.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Minpire Augur

Many Situations they would prob. panic in until some exp. also most action RPGs fail hard, IE Tera ETC.

needless to say , if EQ1 some how got a Remastered edition in graphics, might be attractive to a larger audience.

Graphics is normally the issue, However, Runescape07 is #1 mmorpg outside china LUL
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You say that based on what?

I was 28 when I started playing EverQuest, I had been playing games on home computers & consoles for 13 years prior to that point.
    My youngest kid is 21, they were playing videogames since they were 5, so were they to take up EverQuest at the same age I did they would be doing so with 23 years of experience of newer games vs my 13 years of experience with far older games.

I didn't have any "panic" situations I recall & I think that younger gamers would actually fare even better.

Assuming the generation behind you is less capable than your own is a fallacy that has been repeated throughout history based on nothing more than misplaced esteem in one's own generation, it's a form of narcissism really.

Define fail.

Yet for some peculiar reason you needed to say it anyway.
    I think there is some truth to that, graphics have moved on massively since 1999, but so has gameplay.
    I think that the game's graphics are not the biggest barrier however.
    I think the GUI is, it's a massive convoluted mess of systems laid upon systems laid upon systems, streamlining it to be more suitable to a modern crowd would be very difficult & likely expensive but any new EverQuest franchise or the touted remastered version would need to heavily invest in a better GUI, that right there is the number 1 reason new players are overwhelmed, and you can say that based on the fact that even returning players who are familiar with EverQuest are overwhelmed if they take a hiatus of a few years.

Mobile games really shouldn't be compared to PC games, smartphones vastly outnumber PCs.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/old-school-runescape/os-runescape-player-count
    https://bleedingcool.com/games/jage...of-runescape-with-over-1-million-subscribers/
    a Respectable Sir likes this.
  11. ECrack Augur

God I hate this community. Dude just posts trying to be positive and BAM immediately slammed. Y'all just a bunch of salty old men. If the EQ Community was a person it'd be Clint Eastwood yelling at anyone who wants to play the game to get off his lawn.
  12. Vicus Augur

With that said, I created an unofficial TLP discord server for Rizlona and Aradune. I have also have Bots working in the background to auto post multiple EQ Youtube creators (PathToEternity, Ion Blaze, CM99, ect) and Twitch steamers so that when a stream becomes active the people in the discord will know it. Many of them are doing live events for the new server launches. I think if it does catch on it will help keep and promote the population of the servers. People like discord because its the Green chat monster when not in game.

If you know any streamers that would be interested in me adding their Twitch or Mixer account to the streaming channel let me know on the server or post here. This does not have to be TLP related. Anything Everquest is good for the game.

https://discord.gg/ujtzEC3 Unofficial TLP Discord.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Pawtato Augur

You’re right, but this game does not make for a good streaming experience.
  14. Dailor Augur

LOL ya'll are taking a "mark" thread seriously.

It is disrespectful ya'll don't think Bobbybick is the hip young streamer to bring the kids to EQ.
  15. sumnayin2 Augur

I love EQ and I am glad DPG keeps it alive. That said, I don't see Daybreak as the type of company that would make life better for EQ gamers if a sudden influx of cash were to appear. I don't necessarily mean the employees wouldn't want to do more and have more co-workers to get work done, I just think the whole purpose of Daybreak in general is to milk money out of old games that would be dead without them(and maybe launder money).
  16. RandomStrategy Augur

I mean...if only some major streamer with thousands of followers streamed EQ at some point during a TLP...

Heloisa likes this.
  17. Heloisa New Member

<3 Cohh. He's a great ambassador for EQ. Had my ench alt in his guild on Agnarr; fun times, great community.

Not EQ related but he's done some decent streams for Pantheon too (PA5 soon'ish??).
  18. Vicus Augur

Carnage doesn't stream games continuously , he makes "episodes". He made 12 episodes of Everquest on a TLP (Agnarr and didn't make it very far (stayed in classic). Also the last video he made is one week shy of 3 years ago. Soon as he did his final episodes he moved on. That does not build sustain fans. It definelty doesn't hurt and we are grateful for it but I don't think it was what the OP was trying to express. Also showing gameplay that 99% of all Everquest players have seen does not inspire anyone to come back. There is so much to this game that players never experienced because they left when WoW came out among other games that there is a lot of things new to experience. Streaming can help keep the population interested once they do join and inspire a few players to get back into it.

What would really help is if the devs did anything PR related like stream, show behind the scenes, did any real testing, ect ect. When is the last time you seen a Dev actually PLAY their game.
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

Devs don't even kick the 100 man bot crew... how are we talking about updating guis and launching pr campaigns?
  20. Sikkun Augur

No teenager is going to find EQ too difficult. Unless you mean too difficult to find enjoyment in sitting in the same zone for 8 hours killing the same mobs over and over.

No matter how much you love EQ pretending that is has anything in terms of game difficulty until later expansions is laughable at best. Your best argument would be “open world non linear games are harder!” And even then, sure, except all of the information about EQ is plastered all over the internet. A new player doesn’t have to discover anything for themselves.
    HoodenShuklak and Skuz like this.