How hard will it to find a group on Rizlona with the potential that most people will be boxing?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TonyT, May 20, 2020.

1. yerm Augur

I imagine rizlona will actually be pretty skewed in that random pickup groupers will have considerably more trouble, however, people willing to actually join a guild and be part of a community may find it actually easier than usual. We won't know until the servers launch though.
    code-zero and Foaming like this.
  2. Bewts Augur

There will be all sorts of boxing variances.

Some will run 2,3,4,5,6 or 12-24. You’ll get them all at varying degrees of concentration.

Some may even run a single box at the outset and then level up alts to box later; or not box at all.

You’re going to see different levels of grief when it comes to box armies, but with AOC this time around? It’ll be a little less pervasive than box armies all camped with a trigger to target a mob and explode it with Harm Touch armies for an entire server to fight over. You’re also gonna run into all sorts of group grief, but assuming instances sort some of that out it’s likely you’ll be able to find a group and your corner of a zone to grind / farm in.

I do wish I could play again... but there just isn’t enough time in the day to make any real progress... and I don’t think I can go back to soloing after years of 6-boxing. If I did... I’d run an all iksar group of SK SHM NEC x3 and a BRD (because I hate running slow / invis breaking, not because BRD has synergy)... if I was to main something this go around... I’d run a NEC so no one would care if I made raids or not until DMF was called.
    Magneress likes this.
  3. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

As an avid boxer for awhile now I will always invite a real player over my box into the group. It is never about being anti social. Its about having the freedom to just go do whatever whenever. Also, I hate pulling. Offer to pull for a boxer and you suddenly become their biggest friend!
    code-zero, Sithil, Lionari and 2 others like this.
  4. Lionari Elder

Haha, very true.
  5. Vaxpo Elder

I'm sure you'll find groups, just not for anything where good items drop. Those will all be perma camped by solo boxers. This is a good server to play on if you just want to buy everything, you'll have very little chance to ever get drops on your own.
    Trevalon likes this.
  6. Sithil Elder

Majority of the people I know going to Riz are planning to 3 box.
    Foaming likes this.
  7. Machen New Member

Nope just Rizlona.
  8. Machen New Member

I agree with this, although I think most random pickup groupers who don't want to join a guild will probably be self sufficient boxers who just want to do their own thing on a TLP with AoC's.
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I'd imagine it won't be hard on server launch simply because both servers will be packed. I'd also imagine that if you don't have a very core group of friends that you hang out in discord with every night it will be basically impossible to get a group by the start of Kunark

People who play more two toons will typically only add you if you're a close friend of theirs. It's been that way on every TLP i've played. Anyone who says otherwise is just kidding themselves.

INB4 the circlejerk of nuh-uh responses.
  10. Mrjon3s Augur

Its true and that’s why you make friends with people. Why would you drop a box for some guy you will never see again.
  11. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Thanks for making my point xD
  12. Magneress Augur

Because I can always level my box easy as pie
    Because maybe I will see that guy again
    Because I care about the random stranger on the internet stumbling through the streets of freeport at night lost and I want to see them on their way even if I never see them again.

I hate to break it to you but this use to be what it was about. Not how fast you could get 6 or 12 or 48 toons to 60 with bis gear.

A lot of people feel like I do, but we've been alienated from the MMO community by really angry kids with nothing better to do, granted, everyone is on their own journey.

*sips tea judgmentally*

Actually doesn't bother me when someone wants to monopolize something or roll through the entire game solo. Good for them. I think its also healthy for the economy and it provides the devs an example of emergent gameplay they can steer the game away from. And it makes it all the better when the forces of 'good' I use that term losely and greyly band together to accomplish something with an obstacle of someone who refuses to share.

Some of you guys share, a lot, and are really awesome. My best experiences on test server in 2004 were with someone boxing 12 characters. They always put up with my whining, my wierdness, my insensitivity, and my insanity. They were the greatest people I remember. Guy was a blessing to this earth.

I certainly don't expect people to share anything, or go against their nature. However. Do you. There are some legitimately cool soloers as well. Usually they don't troll with their 48 boxes either. No one has to pay attention to their fellow gamers. This however is a social experience and if we ignore that, neglect it, we'll always run into conflict. Goes for all of us. Thats the biggest difference between EQ and Skyrim. And people aren't NPCs.

I leave it to you to follow your will, godspeed lol.
    --------

Anyway I would like to add that the best community I know of has a strict 3 box limit and no truebox rule set, people can use VMs and stuff. Automation is not allowed and is strictly enforced. The community polices itself very well. And they are dedicated to remembering EQ in its glory. Perhaps it has more to do with their roots. However, I feel like it's got an influx of fresh players. The game sadly stops at where I want to progress past. There is a big exp bonus for adding that 4th person. This is probably the community EQ live and TLPs should model. It is a great compromise, everyone seems to be happy, and people like to RP there.
    GamerGramps likes this.
  13. wade_watts Augur

It will be very easy to get a group assuming you create the character and box them like everyone else.
  14. Mrjon3s Augur

I was being the devils advocate and giving out the reason why people won't be grouping with random people past a certain point because Waitingformoreeq said INB4 the circlejerk of nuh-uh responses.

I have always been a person who loves the socializing in EQ. My favorite thing in EQ is to make friends and try and do stuff just to do it.
    Magneress likes this.
  15. Magneress Augur

Were did I say all boxers or soloers were evil scumbags and shouldn't be allowed? I actually agree with the people who don't want to group with everyone. I solo my 1 character a lot. Sometimes I too box. I have very rarely 3 boxed. I am not ignorant of how to box. I am even a little familiar with *the evil automation software*, I hate the *unmentionable on these forums* program think its shody, and don't want to use it to enjoy EQ. I am happy to alt tab between two characters on one computer and deal with the rest of it. Including grumpy people who think the world is out to get them. I said 3 boxing is actually healthy for a community. The whole VM mess is an overreach that actually encourages more hacking. Hope this helps clarify my above thoughts. I just didn't want to frame them in ultra-negative or conservative terms, oh by the way I am a die hard libertarian who served this country.

I never said you had to be nice, but, I did say not being nice, is not being nice, and creates a hostile environment. Kinda hard to get out of my post I understand I didn't word it in the simplest and most concise manner and it's mostly thought and feeling.

Yeah, sorry for the accusatory tone, I really didn't want to rewrite all that 50x till it sounded pc. It's definitely not meant to be accusatory.

--------------------

My suggestion to anyone who wants to box at all, play on Rizlona and enjoy the freedom to box whatever, however you want :D Don't worry about groups, most stuff can be done with just two characters, there will definitely be groups to be had, and even soloers can log off their sham, druid, cleric, or enchanter alt and group...!

There will probably from the looks of it be like 1-2 guilds that require you to field an army. The rest will be cool and normal.

Making friends is never a bad idea regardless of boxing rules.
  16. Sikkun Augur

You don’t have to read many forum post to realize why a chunk of people don’t want to just group with anyone. But that isn’t a boxing vs non boxing debate. It has been that was since day 1, plenty of people are anti PUG and would never group outside of their social circle outside of dire situations.
    code-zero, Kutsuu and Magneress like this.
  17. Magneress Augur

I feel like where the true-box rule set is most desired, is the early expansions. Where content is limited and there are no options for the box armies really. I don't wholeheartedly agree with it, but I don't want to be stuck on a true-box server down the road. This is the whole to true-box or not to true-box debate, and I don't think true boxing really increases the availability of groups in the future. Like when PoP drops.

On Aradune, grouping will be more random and more chaotic and easier to network with people who arent' settled into EQ for a few months. Then it will be just like any other server later on down the road.

On Rizlona people will be getting ready for later expansions with their box's and setting up for the long haul. Or to move to a different server later. There will be some Krono farming, but who cares, that exists everywhere. Everyone always farmed platinum. It was the one consistent measure of progression across all classes for the entire history of EQ, plantinum>gear>levels. Levels come automatically if patient. Platinum can be worked for, but its slow to get for some classes unless, they box. And the competition can be fierce at the best spots for getting it. Platinum thuslly converts to Krono. It's an interesting way to play the game, not going to knock it!

My two box will probably be minding its own business somewhere out of the way with bronze swords instead of fine steel weapons in the classic 1-50 erra lol. I'll add pugs to my group if I feel like I can play with them, socialize, and give them attention, and not just be afk like I normally am.
    oldkracow likes this.
  18. Kutsuu Augur

It's likely that it will be much easier to find groups than you think. There will be a lot of players that are only comfortable with 2-3 boxing, but are on Riz so they can box on 1 PC.

As someone who will probably 6-box myself, I will drop chars and run them as out of group DPS when I see a solo that needs a group. If they are rude or demanding about loot, etc, I'll be just as quick to kick them, but most of the time people are friendly and we have a good time.
    Magneress likes this.
  19. Jhazz New Member

I lived through the box armies on Ragefire, that was a horrible experience. All the armies would just sit on good loot spots making it hard for anyone one to get the good stuff. Most of the box armies were krono farmers that left the server when Velious came out because most of the loot in that xpac is no drop. 12 to 30 mages in a automation army, it was sickening. I never play on a server like that again.
    Magneress likes this.
  20. Magneress Augur

If the rules are enforced lets hope we don't see this on Rizlona. I do think darkpaw has realized this is bad for the game.