Why We Need to Cut the Devs Some Slack

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by andromeda, May 21, 2020.

1. Wiff Elder

I've been a professional programmer for 30+ years. It is hard enough going back and trying to change my own code from 20 years ago, let alone someone else's. They have my sympathy.
  2. dreadlord Augur

You know this how?
    You know that, for eg, they have , say 8 techies who can work on this and all 8 were called on to work on this until it was fixed?
    We also have very different ideas of 'posting all night'. I work in comms. 'posting all night' means 5-10 minute updates across all social media channels - many many thousands of words. If Discord is where we should be to get the information, then we should be told that in a prominent place on the forums so we're not wasting time here looking for crumbs of information
  3. Prepared Lorekeeper

I don't think we should just cut them some slack. I think we should give them praise for doing a magnificent job! I had no issues at all with any of my 48 accounts with 57 characters that were involved with the merge from Trakanon to the Vox server.

For me personally I am very happy. There was hardly anyone there on Trakanon. Now on the Vox server I am greated and see players all over the place. Although I'm taking my time leveling. That is, it takes so long with so many accounts and only level 108/110 right now, I am looking forward to progressing to 115 in the latest expansion.

I found a quick way to update my client files to change from Trakanon to Vox. With the update I kept all of my socials in place using Windows Powershell:
    Get-ChildItem -Filter "*trakanon.ini" -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace 'trakanon','vox' }

It worked like a champion.

The most important thing for me during the merge was keeping my character names. And I only lost 4 names but renamed them to ones that match my naming structure so I'm good.
  4. minimind The Village Idiot

Wow... I look so different today.
  5. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Ain't that the sad truth. The OP is only partly right in the sense of the mountain of work and code that has to be installed/maintained. It is very stressful and I am sure a lot feel like their back is to the wall. However none of that is our concern. It's not to be mean, but it's the truth. The slack to give is not ours, but theirs. What that means is they need to compensate paying customers when down times are long lasting.

We are not paid to play their game. We pay to play it, unless you are one of the freeloaders and in that case deserve nothing. ^^!

How about instead of Entitled Players, let's change it to... oh I don't know... Paying Customers?

The blame squarely falls on the shoulders of three things... the Vah Shir, the Froglok and the Drakkin. ^^!