Can we get Classic quests back?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Creedmonk, May 20, 2020.

1. Risiko Augur

There will be another new TLP server next year, the year after that, and so on. One to two year TLP servers is the new normal for the Everquest model, and honestly, I could see this being a new norm for the industry. It works.

They don't have to rework the questing system though. They fixed that many years ago with the implementation of missions and achievements. The old questing system is antiquated, cumbersome, and prone to breaking. They have been using missions and achievements for all of their expansions for many, many years now.

I could see this as a new way for them to take TLPs in the future. Rework old content by implementing new missions/achievement content that uses the existing content. Every time they open a new TLP, it offers more missions/achievements, so it gives you a reason to come back over and over again.

Example... Add a Runnyeye Citadel TLP Mini Expansion for $10 that adds in a halfling exploratory encampment just outside of Runnyeye that offers missions for exploring Runnyeye and ridding it of the goblin infestation. Put missions, achievements, and collections in the Runnyeye dungeon. Offer rewards of slightly enhanced versions of rare drops normally found in Runnyeye along with armor cosmetic augments for completing groups of missions and a cool looking class specific weapon cosmetic augment for completing all of the achievements.

Because of the /pick system, they don't have to use instances for this content at all. Just let the pick system do what it does. That way the game plays like it did 20 years ago where dungeons are open world where you can run in to other players and content respawns around you encouraging the social aspects of the game (you know... the thing that makes Everquest fun).

There's a ton of content that could be made out of the EXISTING assets already in the game. Najena, Befallen, Crushbone, Runnyeye, Solusek Eye, Nagafen's Lair, etc. That's just original content. There's a ton of good dungeons in Original, Kunark, and Velious. There is literally another decade's worth of potential new content with this design model that DPG/DBG could be making money off of.

Just saying...

I claim no rights to the designs explained above. Please feel free to take this and run with it Darkpaw Games.
  2. Sokanist Journeyman

IMO from playing on most of the tlp servers classic quest works just fine and do not need any changes.
  3. Creedmonk Augur

Just curious when did you start playing TLP's because it took roughly a 85% nerf in 2016 to the quests
  4. Sokanist Journeyman

Phinigel than Coirnav than Manlger upto 6 months ago... has it changed in the last 6 months ? if so sorry ;)
  5. Sokanist Journeyman

from day 1 on mangler I used the classic quests with just fine effect they worked just fine :cool:
  6. Magneress Augur

Apparently u can do 4k of the red wine turn in at once, not sure I would consider this an ideal leveling method, but there it is... u couldn't even do that in classic lol.

Nor do I want them to personally fix that... my wrist hurts after doing that in classic.

I like how it's modern, and different, and broken, in a new way in 2020.

With advanced loot stuff like bonechips is really not hard to farm stacks of thousands of, so rather than turning in 4 chips at a time, you turn in 4k at a time, and you get 2% exp that way, that explains the nerf by like a factor of 10 lol.
  7. Machen New Member

With the right software it doesn't matter if you can turn in 4k at a time or 4 at a time.

How many you can stack wasn't the decisive issue here.
    Magneress likes this.
  8. Retort New Member

The bonechip nerf was the begining of Kunark on Ragefire. There was a notorious mega boxer whose name I forget now made it to about 57 within a few hours of the expansion dropping before they stepped in and put a stop to it and nerfed the quest. It was hilarious watching general chat go nuts over acusing him of exploiting and cheating.
    Magneress likes this.
  9. Magneress Augur

*mind blown* emergent gameplay behavior like this is a great thing about this game, but can't let stuff like that go forever and ever, eventually it's got to get nerfed otherwise the game dissapears and all u have left is a bone chip simulator.

other games feel way to controlled, probably because they have just been through more nerf cycles
  10. Magneress Augur

you got a point, i never bothered to get to lvl 57 with it in the past though
  11. Ishbu Augur

Nobody said the quests dont work. They dont reward proper experience however. There is no point in continuing this pathetic charade here. We all have played this game. We all have first hand experience to know what is real.

Fact all exp is faster now than it was back in the day, except these classic quests. They reward far less than they did in the old days even. Thats not "just fine" no matter how sad attempt you want to troll a real topic that was having a reasonable exchange among people.
    Magneress and Creedmonk like this.
  12. Sokanist Journeyman

ahh if you disagree with someone than yes they must be trolling... LOL :rolleyes:

I stand by my opinion, yes ofcause they have been toned down in xp I think we all can agree on that,
    I just happen to think that is okay and good to avoid exploiting these quest but still be okay IMO

semse that you can't handle an exchange of opinions Sir ! :D
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

I wonder if it was that mage that accidentally put his macaroni quest command in say and then posted the image (or log, I don't remember).
  14. Ishbu Augur

It is trolling. We have 100s maybe thousands of people here who have played EQ through the last 20 years and we know first hand its not just fine. Its massively nerfed as stated in a patch a couple years back.

If you werent trolling, then you are extremely incorrect and also oblivious to the audience you are posting to. Im going to assume you arent just completely lost and are a reasonable person, thus trolling.

Turing in bone chips from afk farming and fire beetle eyes in your 50s in one thing. Turing in crusbone belts, please, this is not fine
  15. Creedmonk Augur

This. Crushbone belts and pads and other low level quests that used to be worth it in classic are now completely unworth it.
  16. Magneress Augur

except for faction and a little bit of plat...? i wouldn't say 'totally unworth it' just no gnoll fangs till 40+
    Barton likes this.
  17. Sokanist Journeyman

I get that you disagree with me, thats completely fair, but is it really necessary to flame me just for having the "wrong" opinion ? :(
    Magneress likes this.
  18. Creedmonk Augur

What plat? The Crushbone belts give like 1g equivalent, maybe 2g..

You're missing the point this is flying way over you.
  19. Mybag Journeyman

Why not make them no drop to take care of afk farming to sell/trade or RMT
    Creedmonk likes this.
  20. Sturn Augur

Last time I did belt turn ins on Mangler, I'm pretty sure I was getting somewhere between 2-5% XP per belt in the 8-10 lvl range. Seeing as how you also get faction and loot from the turn ins, I don't see how the run to Kal isn't worth it once you decide to leave CB and either head to Unrest or to Antonica.
    Sokanist likes this.