Tuco's TLP Setup

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tucoh, May 20, 2020.

1. Tucoh Augur

I'm super excited to play my first TLP on Aradune. I'm bringing in a enchanter/cleric setup both because it's OP in classic but also because enchanter charming is one of the few things I've never done in EQ. A lot of this stuff is probably obvious to TLP pros, so just bear with me.

Here's a vid/SS of me practicing with a low level enc/cle as I build up my macros/gina triggers.

[IMG]

The threads I linked are pretty helpful at giving advice on playing, but if anyone has any tips or especially videos of them playing an enc/cle at "high" levels on classic I'd love to see them. I'm pumped for Aradune and will post some vids and parses once I start really get into the content.
    Skewert, Soulbash and Mithra like this.
  2. Machen New Member

You might want to post less detail. Some of the things you mention may not be legal on truebox. They haven’t officially said anything about technologies like Multiplicity, some players think it is fine and others think it is clearly cheating and no one knows what dpg Thinks... no need to make yourself low hanging fruit for the new gm staff.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Good point.

But if it's not legal I don't want to do it. I'd rather just lay it all out there and let the riperonis fall where they may.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Ecko Elder

Slightly off topic, but I'm looking at getting the updated version of that monitor in a month or so, do you use it for any other games and what graphics card are you using to drive it? I've got a 1080 but nervous it's not going to be powerful enough for more AAA games at high settings.

Currently using a 27" ROG swift 1440p, which is decent enough, but been eyeing up an ultrawide for a while and that one seems the best around in my budget.
  5. Yarteb Elder

I'm fairly certain that any software that allows remotely controlling a "box" (more than 1 toon from the same PC) is illegal under true box.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  6. Deathcomestoall Lorekeeper

You are 100% correct, As the rules are for truebox no outside automation to control the other account.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  7. Silver-Crow Augur

But is it automation when you have to press a key to make something happen? For me this is more assistive techology rather than automative technology. i.e. you're in full control of every character and need to be at your desk for anything to happen.

Automation is where the group plays itself with no interaction at all.. i.e. the bot teams often seen at hill giants and solb on mangler.

It's an interesting discussion to be sure.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Yeah I use it as my primary gaming monitor. I have a 1080ti. I'd expect that your 1080 would do just fine with AAA games in 2020. And 2021. But 2022? We'll see!

I'm pretty happy with it, but I wish it was about 20% taller and with 20% more vertical pixels. Just about all the ultrawides have the same kind of resolution / height and I doubt that will change much. I'm not sure if it was worth the $800 I spent on it, but I also wasn't sure the monitor I replaced it with was worth the $600 I spent, but I ended up using it for 10 years making it the longest-lived piece of computer hardware I ever had.
  9. CyryllisFenninRo Lorekeeper

Key broadcasting is not allowed on truebox. Then again, you'll still run into plenty of people breaking rules with no consequences. As long as you aren't 6 boxing and/or warping, most people don't care
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

That's true, but that is reference to automation or key replication. e.g., pressing the 1 on the keyboard and that command gets sent to all the EQ clients to act on whatever is in the #1 hotkey spot.

This seems to be different because you have still have to control each character seperately, but you just do it from one central keyboard/mouse.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Biggest problem I'd have if I couldn't use a remote-desktop is I couldn't record two screens at once. I'm way too lazy to record on two PCs and merge them into a video later!!
  12. Ecko Elder

Cheers for the info, I'll be upgrading my graphics card in a couple of years, maybe sooner if the 3 series from Nvidia offers a much bigger increase in power than the 2 series did, by which point I might be worth sticking out for a 4K monitor to get the best out of it.

At the very least I think I want to see an ultrawide in person before buying, which is pretty tricky at the mo, so I'm gonna wait and see what happens i think. Not like what I have at the moment isn't usable!
  13. Pikallo Augur

This has been hotly debated for years and as mentioned above, has never been officially clarified.

Something like Multiplicy or Synergy is indeed 3rd party software, however doesn't provide any automation at all. You still have 2 separate computers with 2 separate accounts (the fundamental concept of true box) however you simply are able to control the 2nd PC from a shared keyboard and mouse.

Since they don't specify individual 3rd party software applications, there is a big grey area regarding what can and cannot be used. This is for good reason so that if they want to take action on someone, they can point to the 3rd party software rule without having to split hairs. For example, Razer Synapse or Logitech Gaming Software used to manage your mouse settings are also 3rd party software applications that are ultimately used to interact with the game(assuming you play EQ with a mouse). But do you really think they are going to be hunting down people that use legitimate mouse software?

I'm quite confident that the same mentality is applied to keyboard sharing software. If you just play by the rules and don't make a big deal of it, no one will bat an eyelid if you are using them properly.
    Risiko likes this.
  14. RibbitDivot New Member

FYI, extended target window only goes up to five on TLPs until the expansion where it originally came out (and you don't get it until level 20).
  15. jeskola pheerie

KVM software is permissible, there is a old dev quote on here saying so.
  16. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]
    Thanks for the heads up, should still be OK, just need to change some hotkeys / ingame social macros around. I really do prefer to use party / ETW targeting just because it's much faster than "/tar Tucoh" or and can be used while casting. I'm glad they allow the ETW to be used in TLP, but I can see how it makes the game a lot easier than it was in 1999.
  17. Machen New Member

Specific to truebox? I'd be very interested to see that quote if you can dig it up.
    Barton likes this.
  18. aalith New Member

I look at this setup and I just see a blatant circumvention of the truebox ruleset, whether there is some kind of grey area that allows it or not. It is an obvious workaround to the truebox code. Tuco, I'm curious why as a 6 boxer you're not just playing on Rizlona. Keep the spirit of Aradune how it is intended to be played. Truebox. Can we get a gm's opinion on this?
  19. Pikallo Augur

Same, I'd be curious to see. I've been on and off the forums for years so I could have missed it, but I've usually read the threads on this topic and even recall a thread that a dev claimed they wouldn't get more specific. This was a few years back though, so my memory could be foggy!
  20. Risiko Augur

I think people miss the point of the rules and how they enforce them.

It's not about being over strict jerks that like to ruin your fun. It's about having rules in place that they can reference when people grossly abuse the game and do things that take away from the enjoyment of other players in the game.

Don't AUTOMATE game play, and you will most likely be just fine.

From everything you have said in this thread, it appears to me that you are indeed ACTIVELY playing two characters on two computers. You aren't broadcasting keystrokes, and you aren't using any automation. You are there at the keyboard pushing the buttons for each character individually. Anybody that tries to say you are breaking the rules based on what you have said here in this thread is just being ridiculous.

Save your pitchforks and torches for the mage box armies that run by you in game and all cast/sit at the same time. Tuco isn't doing that from what I read above.