Hi, it's me again.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Croaksputin, May 20, 2020.

1. Croaksputin Journeyman

Okay, I play on a server where there is not really any hardcore raiding done. Actually most people solo or box. But I'm in a new guild and we're mostly old guys that came back to EQ. Last time I really played level 70 was max. SO I have a Pally who is going to be our main offtank when we do raid (for epics and such) and a beastlord just for fun. I've never played an enchanter but was always in awe of watching them back in the day with their charmed pets and CC. Since we have had all this downtime I was thinking about making an enchanter to help the guild out when we raid if I'm not needed as an off tank. I've read a whole lot of discouraging posts on here about how bad enchanters are and they aren't needed anymore. And that enchanters should just be done away with. So please, give me some reasons to play an enchanter. I want to hear about the good things.
    Verily Tjark likes this.
  2. Verily Tjark Augur

Erko,

Here's the deal. If you come on the public forums that the Devs read and talk about how great your class is and how awesome you are... you get the bat, the NERF bat.

Enchanters are a useful class in group and raid settings. Many of the things people "complain" about are nuances and refer to play styles. It doesn't mean the whole class is garbage, but just in case any Devs read this... OUR CLASS IS NERFED TO HELL, WE AIN'T WORTH A DARN!!

Respectfully,
    Verilyx
    RPoo likes this.
  3. Croaksputin Journeyman

Thanks Verily. I got it now.
  4. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Good thing about enchanters is you can pull a group of mobs and park them to kill faster :D

Well Me, it's nice talking to myself
  5. GNOME_POWER Augur

That's a fact, but if you're unskilled you'll be overwhelmed by mob hordes and die easily.
  6. RPoo Augur

The value of a chanter is relatively proportionate to the amount of time that they spend casting. Low casts = poor chanter, high casts = better chanter.
  7. Croaksputin Journeyman

Thanks for the replies. I will do my best to not let the class down by being a poor chanter.
  8. Genusii Journeyman

From what you say, you may be best suited to play an enchanter. You have no idea what has been lost.

I hope you can find groups that allow you to wipe. I hope you find groups that allow you to say, "I need to see something."

I really wish you the best.

And I have to tell you: the role of enchanter is adps first now. In current content, you will be out dps'd by all classes (all of them) on a full burn. Yes, the cleric will out dps you on the first two kills. Read all your aa's. Read all your spell information. Some spells seem useless; they are not (Tears line).

There is a lot of variances in our mezz spell lines. Learn them all. They all are useful.

Unfortunately, you should also go kill yourself. A lot. And keep saying, "I need to see something!" over and over and over. I lost lvl 61 35 times trying different ways to kill a named. I finally succeeded.

To be honest, I have no idea how it will go for you. I only hope your guild understands that everyone will die a lot as you learn to play.

However, when you finally hold off a 32 pull in LC, a 24 pull in ToFS, half the zone in Ry'gorr Mines, etc. (By the way, we did wipe on the 32 pull. Our bard said, "Finally!" after we wiped. Had 32 locked down and the bard went for more. Good times.)

That's my point really. You must keep pushing to learn. You will die. Death is your best educator.

Also, if you raid, a note: an enchanter's full arsenal was rarely used in raids. Mostly spot mez here, charm there, oh, and stun this group. But for the most part, you do your dps so the rest of the party looks good. It's a thankless job.

Also: for the love all things Karana, if you out parse anyone other than the cleric, do NOT say a damn thing. EVER.
    RPoo likes this.
  9. Croaksputin Journeyman

Genusii, thank you very much. I know I will die plenty. I want to learn everything and be the best enchanter I can be. Finally got into game today. I just came out of the mines at level 9. Am having a blast so far. I look forward to "seeing something" as I go along. I'm an enchanter, I will NEVER out-parse anyone.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Any class, well played, is awesome to watch. Any class, gimpily played, makes EQ gods cry.

AAs and gear definitely help but there is no substitute for an attentive, skilled and experienced player who tries their "A" game to a group or raid.
    RPoo likes this.