why not lock servers at PoP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by xuzl999, May 19, 2020.

1. Sithil Elder

Do we need another PoP locked server: No
    Agnarr should be changed to a FTP server since it's well over a year since it hit the lock.

Personally I'd like to see a Lvl 70 locked server. Problem with PoP lock was never getting to do 2.0's again. Even as bad as PoR was I don't think locking a server at 1 expansion when there are others with the same level cap available. For that matter I think Agnarr should have locked with Gates. Hard raid content and Zerkers instead of ending on broken raid content of LDoN.
    MaestroM likes this.
  2. RandomStrategy Augur

I'm normally on the don't lock side....but honestly....it's pixels in a 20+ year old game.....we're waaay past lasting significance.
  3. Verve New Member

Hey Machen quit tripping on these forums and come raid with OGC again brah.

Bhikkhu
  4. Xeris Augur

I'm pretty sure more people play on Agnarr than Selo. There's 3 active guilds and my guild has enough people to be 2 guilds. The server could easily support another raiding guild right now.

Population has increased a lot on Agnarr over the past few months. You'd be quite surprised by the amiunt of people that actually want to play on Agnarr... And it's always the same few people on the forums that either don't play there, or briefly came there for a few days/weeks and say it's dead. To each their own but Agnarr is doing fine for Agnarr people
    Kehl likes this.
  5. VandilIzer Augur

Most of the people I have seen in this thread aren't argueing Agnarr is dead, in fact they are trying to push more people to Agnarr that want a POP locked experience. A few poeople pointed out there has been a decline in number of people on Agnarr, but every TLP, and almost every server for that matter has had declines over time. I'm glad Agnarr is still going strong for you and I hope they keep pushing POP locked TLPers to that server rather than helping hurt it by producing another POP locked TLP while Agnarr is still very viable.
    MattThePhat likes this.
  6. MattThePhat New Member

Thank god for someone who understands even though this isn't what they want. People want a new PoP-Locked server for the same reasons people want new servers that go to live. Thank you for not being narrow minded.

The difference in Aradune and Mangler, which came out only 1 year ago, is a GM and a 2 boxing limit. Maybe next year we can get a PoP or OoW locked server that has minor adjustments like this. I see so many people talking that a GM isn't going to have much of an effect. So in their eyes this is pretty much just another new mirrored server 1 year after Mangler. Many ask for servers that go all the way to live but few stay on that server for the years it takes to get there.

I think Aradune needs to differentiate from Mangler a bit more. If the two minor changes are the only difference, I don't believe that justifies a new server at this time. It is going to decimate Mangler's population. Many of the people here saying that they want Aradune to go to live are going to leave a server that's only at 6/25 expansions (The highest pop TLP) or another server that has yet to catch up to live. I'm fairly confident that a very high percentage of people starting the new TLP are coming from current TLPs and not live servers.

TLDR: Making a PoP locked server now, 1 year after Mangler, 3 years after Agnar kind of made sense. If you don't want PoP locked, stay where you are for another year. The following year make a Mangler mirror?
    Or
    Make a server now, not PoP locked but with more changes from Mangler. They are introducing 2 servers with 1 difference between the two and only 2 differences from 1 of last years TLPs.
  7. sumnayin2 Augur

So why didn't all the people complaining about PoP Lock go play on the dozen other servers not stuck at PoP? See how your logic falls apart in 1 sentence?
  8. MaestroM Augur

Isn't that what he said? Agnarr's population dropped precisely *because* everyone bailed and went to a non-PoP locked server.
  9. sumnayin2 Augur

What does that have to do with what I said? Why do the people that don't want PoP-lock need a new server when there are already non PoP-lock servers going?

For whatever reason I have to go down to grade school levels for the level of reading comprehension here. He is saying people that want PoP-Lock can just go play on Agnarr....and I said people that don't want PoP-Lock can just go play on the dozen servers not PoP-Lock...

Going down to kindergarten levels for you. If Billy wants a grape and his teacher tells him to grab one....if Jason wants an orange, why can't he just grab an orange?
  10. MaestroM Augur

Continuing with your analogy, because at this time there are no oranges in the grape jar.

Last time there was an orange jar there wasn't a grape jar. But as soon as there was a grape jar, everyone bailed on the oranges and went for the grapes.

Additionally, since the class got an orange jar, people stopped asking for more oranges and are generally content to stick with grapes.

The data isn't really ambiguous here. Agnarr was beautiful while it lasted. But it didn't last very long. Folks bailed as soon as it got to PoP. Whatever was left bailed when the next TLP came out. Other TLPs that were not locked at pop stayed more populated for a longer time.

So going back to your analogy. The class has a limited budget. Lots of people want grape jars and when the teacher brings a new grape jar, the class usually eats almost all of the grapes, even when new grape jars show up, people still eat the old grapes.

When the teacher brought in an Orange jar at the request of a small and vocal group of students, the students all liked them at first, but then as soon as a grape jar got here no one touches the Oranges anymore.

If you REALLY want Oranges, they're there. Yes, they're older and not shiny and new like the two new grape jars, but the grape jars cost just as much as orange jars, and make more students happier longer.

No need to be a .
  11. Machen New Member

There is no other non-truebox aoc enabled server for anyone to play on. It does not yet exist. So making Rizlona pop locked would be absurd.

I could not care less whether Aradune is pop locked. I understand why DPG releases new TLP's every year but frankly I would have been happy to see no Aradune and players that didn't want pop-lock or non-truebox can go play Mangler this year to let it get farther along with a strong population.
  12. Fonzych New Member

you want more ez p99s ?
  13. Chopsuey Augur

Why do you think population drops on these tlp's during/after PoP? Could it be because a new, fresh tlp opens up or because the content after PoP is bad? Would love for them to skip a year or 2 of making a new tlp to see just how many ppl would stick around for content after PoP.
  14. Machen New Member

It generally doesn't, hasn't. Coirnav was an exception because of Mangler and the slow xp rate on Coirnav. And Agnarr saw a huge hit at PoP once there was nothing new left to do. None of the TLP's before Coirnav had a huge drop after pop. More a slow steady trickle of attrition that did not get any worse post pop than it was pre pop.
  15. Bullwyf Journeyman

You bring up two very good questions that I have been mulling over for the last couple of weeks. In my own conclusion, I do believe that it is the nostalgia value that we are after. In my case, I stopped playing back when PoP was released in the original. All of my fondest memories are from Classic - Velious. I was about a year behind in starting with EQ, where I did not do very much in Luclin or PoP. So for me, reliving the memories that I have (classic - Velious) are what keeps me coming back to new TLPs. Although it is only speculation to assume others are in the same boat as me, I would almost bet a pp that this is the case with a majority of players.