Can we get Classic quests back?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Creedmonk, May 20, 2020.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Unless he was farming bone chips while he slept.

[IMG]
  2. Barton The Mischievous

Please do not level cap them, these quests are also ways to gain faction.
    Trox2010 and Bullwyf like this.
  3. Sturn Augur

Couldn't they level cap the xp gain without changing the faction gain?
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Barton The Mischievous

Maybe, but with 21+ year old code, maybe not easily. Or it could be super easy. ~shrug
  5. Bullwyf Journeyman

While yer at it, to keep things truly classic, bring back hell levels too! lol :p
  6. Prathun Developer

No, there's only the minimum level.
    It would be an interesting way to solve the problem. That and/or a one-time reward or a cooldown on the full reward. Unfortunately these aren't things that the olde quest system supports. In theory we could do the one-time reward with achievements, some day, though this would be a lot of design work.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Isn't the whole GM support thing supposed to truly deal with these issues? I mean it was a kinda bull fix in the first place as the XP these quest gave was never the problem.
  8. Aneuren Tempered Steel

What if you gave the quest reward NPCs a specific faction that decreased with every turnin, and calculated the negative faction decrease to be exactly inverse to the amount of experience you feel is appropriate for the quest range (i.e., quest giver goes KoS when you've done enough turnins to level from 1-20 or whatever)?
  9. Prathun Developer

I'd be wary of using faction to keep track of quest progress and scale rewards accordingly as factions are used for a variety of other purposes. Losing faction for quest A may prevent the character from being able to trigger dialogues and complete quests for other NPCs on the same faction. And many factions can't be changed (like Beta Neutral, for example) or are restricted in how they can be changed.
    Barton, Creedmonk and Skuz like this.
  10. Hinastorm86 Augur

I totally get nuking MOST of these quests from orbit, as they mostly involve mass slaughtering single digit level mobs. Or turning in vendor bought things over and over. That was dumb.

But quests like CB belts being nerfed in much the same way was very disappointing. Surely there is a better way to handle such quests. Could do this in a few ways, could make the belts no-drop (not ideal, but solves most issues) could maybe limit how many you can turn in (not sure if this is possible), could make it so it no longer gives exp past X level.

I understand the difficultys with working around the old quests, and appreciate you posting on this.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Prathun Developer

Yeah, one of the first things they taught us newbies when we were brought on to make content was: "Don't make any muffin quests."

In the case of the Crushbone Belt quest, the quest itself wasn't changed.
    The XP reward is reduced because the server's XP multiplier is applied to kills and quests. As the server unlocks future expansions, the XP multiplier will increase and will eventually catch up to Live values.
    We don't have a clean/simple way to limit how many items can be handed in and we don't have a maximum level restriction for a quest or its rewards.

It's all part of the fun of working on EverQuest. :)
    Barton, Sithil, Vyne and 2 others like this.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

p99 makes quests give a big dropoff after a certain level is hit, maybe we could ask them

the gnoll teeth specifically i recall them nerfing like this
  13. Sillyfish Elder

Can you not simply increase the exp reward so thT when the server multiplier is low (when the server is new) it gives greater rewards and as expansions unlock and the multiplier goes higher lower it a bit?

It would mean so much to players like me who enjoy the quests giving the experience they should give. It adds flavour and increases the enjoyment of the player base in a manner that far outweighs the few people who might attempt to abuse it, in my opinion.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The Feb 2016 patch is when these got nuked. On Phinny it meant a ~85% reduction in quest xp (this is after the server had its global multiplier increased). I don't know what the multiplier is for Mangler/Aradune in classic.

Here's a little time capsule about why these changes got implemented. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/fire-beetles.230131/

Edit: Bone chips got target nerfed earlier than this, I don't have the exact date.

It was really surreal seeing people RMT Fire Beetle Eyes in 2016.
    Creedmonk likes this.
  15. Risiko Augur

Could just get rid of the old quests, and recreate them in the mission system which should give you all the flexibility that you want.

Obviously, not all the old quests, but a handful of popular ones.

Then give achievements for those missions. Group achievements together to offer no-trade versions of nostalgic rare loot drops as rewards for completing them. Like complete all of the Solusek Eye and Nagafen's Lair mission achievements to get the Golden Efreeti Boots reward. That would give players two options for get something like GEBs. Either do the achievements and claim the reward, or pay one of the farmers that has the Efreeti camp locked down 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

Just saying. There's ways to repurpose and put life back in to the original content if the dev's overlords would let them spend the time doing it.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. CyryllisFenninRo Lorekeeper

Make gnoll fangs worth it again

thanks for actually reading and responding to this thread. Fire beetle and bonechips quests were super broken but belts, pads, scalps, etc really need a small boost at least.
    Creedmonk likes this.
  17. Cydonia Elder

may as well just not bother bringing them back then. the repeatable nature of the quest was the reason for doing them.

just capping the level you can reach with them would be a much better solution, though im not sure of the coding involved, from what ive seen in the past, these things are often more complicated than they seem at first glance.
  18. Zinth Augur

and you totally fail to understand the point of these quests... they are there for faction... making them non-repeatable would be mildly stupid
  19. Creedmonk Augur

I just remember being excited that I had saved up a bag or 2 of CB belts from a few hours of hunting and knowing I would be able to bring them back and get a decent amount of experience for it. Now it's almost not worth the run to Kaladim to turn them in.
  20. Neuro Elder

It sounds like the issue is resources vs reward. The quest system was apparently coded in such a way as to make this extremely difficult, and would require a total overhaul of the basic quest system, which is a lot of work that could be spent elsewhere.

Also, it's a week till the TLP launch, you do NOT want them messing with the code base right now. The time to ask this was 6 months ago.