I called it- downtime extended 6 hours

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, May 20, 2020.

1. Magneress Augur

Probably because they don't all exist on discrete server boxes anymore and this is all virtualized and the script is working in multiple filesystems... cuz that would be the crazy zombie mess that this game probably is by now. And it was probably engineered by 10 different engineers. Who didn't talk to each other.

I believe it's implied and admitted that it would have worked well if they had planned that from the get go. But it didn't go down that way.
  2. Aldryn Another New Member

3. Magneress Augur

"Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards." -- Ballad of the Frogman
    Aldren, Celephane, Cuuthbert and 2 others like this.
  4. feeltheburn Augur

pathethic this brand is now, seriously.
  5. Jennre Band Leader

Because some of the databases are shared across all servers, not just the few merging servers. Think of them as "global databases". Each environment has a separate set of these global databases. In EQ, I am guessing that there are at least 3 Environments (Live, Beta, and Test). For merging, these global databases also need to be updated. For the the same reason, they cant patch a single "server" in the Live Environment, but in the test and Beta Environment, they can patch at will.

So, a simplistic way to look at this concept is in order of Size/Scope:
    Environment
    -- Servers
    ---- World
    ------ Zones
    ------- You
    --------- Item

Each Environment uses a different DB for these things.
    Magneress likes this.
  6. rawr80 New Member

So are we going to be getting an exp buff or anything for compensation for the downtime?
  7. DillyBar Augur

Like catch the covid.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. zarcal Elder

A couple of weeks back we did a "simple" migration of an oracle Data Base from an on prem-server to AWS. Our 9hr outage took almost 20, so i feel for them :) stay strong
    Magneress, Jennre and Herf like this.
  9. Herf Augur

So you left Oracle (to save money?) and went to AWS?
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

We went swimming earlier. We will go swimming tomorrow. Was fun.
  11. Jondalar Augur

We should have a pool for the next extension! :)
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

I will take midnight PDT. What will I win?
    Jondalar likes this.
  13. zarcal Elder

We stayed with Oracle but put it on an AWS server -- Let's say connectivity to various application (many that don't have a dev/qa version) was 'problematic' all upgraded to Oracle 12c with it
  14. Jennre Band Leader

Migrating from on Prem to a Cloud platform is super common in the saas/iaas era ;)

With Azure or AWS, you pay a monthly subscription fee, which is cheaper over each fiscal year than maintaining and staffing for on-prem farm.
  15. Herf Augur

So then are you paying both the Oracle licensing fee and the AWS fees? How is that cheaper? So confused.
  16. Zamiam Augur

is my pet going to be dead when i get back in-game ? asking for a friend
    Elyee likes this.
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Yoda: Pathetic this brand is now, re he he heee
    Cuuthbert likes this.
  18. Magneress Augur

Laughing but I don't want to echo that.
  19. GoneFission Augur

Nothing exceeds like excess.
    Magneress likes this.
  20. Herodotus Augur