Use the down time to backup your EQ files!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, May 20, 2020.

1. Metanis Bad Company

Take an hour and do some computer maintenance while we forced to wait on EQ.

Job #1) Find your EQ folder and make a copy (to a safe place) of all the files with your character names embedded in them. Ditto your ..\Everquest\AudioTriggers and ..\Everquest\userdata folders. (For God's sake don't MOVE the files, you want to just make a copy and leave the originals intact and in place!!!)

Job #2) If you don't understand Job #1 take the time right now to figure it out. It's basic computing virtually unchanged since the original IBM-PC was introduced 39 years ago! If you really don't understand call a geeky friend!

Job #3) Do some simple and routine maintenance on your computer. Blow or suck the dust bunnies out. Run Windows update. Do a disk cleanup. Save a restore point!

Job #4) If you don't understand Job #3 take the time to Google how it's done. It's not rocket science! Or call that geeky friend again!

Your computer will appreciate it!

I'm continually amazed how many people post how they lost their EQ configurations because they had to reinstall Windows. Duh, if you back it up to a flash drive, external drive, or other PC on your network you can easily restore your stuff after a Windows nuke and pave.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Komm like this.
  2. Komm New Member

Agreed. You should also email yourself a copy of the files with easily searched terms. IE, "Everquest Character .ini" or something.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Metanis like this.
  3. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Everyone should be backing up everything. A 10 TB external is like $100.
    Metanis likes this.
  4. svann Augur

You should also backup your gina triggers.
    Metanis and Celephane like this.
  5. Voxsk New Member

i need gina triggers lost mine years ago and just coming back :)
    Metanis and Celephane like this.
  6. Magickon Augur

that noise. People that have not already figured out how to backup their data in 2020 won't be able to figure out how to restore it.

Go outside, get some exercise.