How much contention is there for camps during classic?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by martanio, May 20, 2020.

1. martanio New Member

I have never played past level 4 or so on classic. For example, if I wanted to camp for something in lower guk, would it be very difficult to get the camp that I want?
  2. squidgod Augur

Depends on the camp. Krono farmers are going to lock down any camp with valuable loot, but there should still be enough options (and picks) for XP groups to manage.
  3. MaestroM Augur

You will likely be able to get a group doing pretty much whatever you want. 12+ picks of places like guk means there will be plenty of room for everyone. Might not be able to walk into lguk and walk into any camp down there, but there will be so many people coming and going that getting groups in camps you want is relatively quick.

Aside from a few notable exceptions (Efreeti), you'll be fine. Don't believe the doomsayers. I went hard on Agnarr. Lived in Sol and Guk for weeks. Can count on one hand the number of times I had one of those bad experiences that people warn you about. Only 1 sticks in my mind during the entire time i played there.

Some day while you're playing someone will try and muscle you out of a camp. They may even succeed. But its not the norm, especially at EXP camps. Krono farmers aren't running around in dungeons looking for camped locations to steal mobs from, especially now that you can't charm named mobs. They want to find someplace open just like you.

PS: GEBs aren't worth it. Move along. You'll be paying for stats you don't need. The focus doesn't work in classic so its just 9 int/wis. You won't find better in classic, but gear doesn't really matter in classic.
    Bullwyf and Forsaken like this.
  4. Bonified Lorekeeper

0 contention everyone plays nice....carebears
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

They got rid of pick hopping so that should help with krono camps. But if there are no picks just avoid krono camps if you want an enjoyable experience.

Guk will be packed and it's a race to pull mobs, but if you plop on a named like smr you might be fine if you were there first because in general some people respect camps and an experience group would probably prefer more mobs than 1 named, assuming there are no other picks.
  6. Magneress Augur

aint got time for that when i am playin eq na'mean? anyway u can always go play somewhere where there is stress (it exists) if that is your thing or load up and try to tackle harder content than classic with /pickzones and AoCs

Classic is super chill now, it won't ever be what it was like unless you go out of your way to make it like that because what it was like in 1999 and what its like now with everyone's knowledge and capability is a Sisyphean task to recreate. We can't turn back the time to a day and age where everyone had a paid subscription. Only had limited play time. Only had one computer. Had to play one character at a time. Didn't have allakhazam or a complete library of every item and spell. Etc.

Play for the nostolgia, not the angst. Just a suggestion, nawmean?
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

FWIW I have a time-proven (by me) tactic for getting Frenzy, Assassin/Sup, etc. Lots of times you'll see a single level 50 sitting on the spawns and only killing 3 mobs each round. Take Frenzy, for example. I'll talk to the person sitting on the spawn and say, "Mind if I kill trash out here while you're camping Frenzy?" Most of the time they don't have a problem with it. 30-60 minutes later you will likely have the camp.
  8. Xondor Lorekeeper

I did the exact same thing multiple times. Collect exp until they get bored and leave or log.
  9. martanio New Member

Thanks for the tip!
  10. Sturn Augur

I leveled to 50+ on Phinny, 50 on Coirnav and 40+ on Mangler and I don't recall much problem getting camps. Even a camp like Frenzy isn't that hard to get if you are patient, due to all the picks.
  11. Runes Augur

How much contention will there be for camps during classic? About as much contention as a candy
    store opened up to a pack of wild and starved fat kids freed from their basements.
  12. Batbener Augur

From my experience, getting camps isn't much of a problem, but getting exact camps can be. For instance, Freeti is highly contentious for a long while.
  13. Ebine Augur

If you do get a group say in lguk that drops the metallic robe. I noticed that a lot of times everyone rolls on those items. Even the ones that can't wear them because they can sell. So I don't think I ever found a camp that I couldn't get in but when i did had to roll against everyone.

GEB and hill giants were the only two things i tried once and never went back because of the contention.

Tradeskill stuff can also be camped since it is really really high priced.
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

Free range doesn't mean they actually leave, it just means they are free to leave.
  15. Protagonist Tank

All of it.