Kudos Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jennre, May 20, 2020.

1. Jennre Band Leader

Ok, @Dreamweaver.
    Your newest update to Server Downtime is perfect!
  2. Windance Augur

I agree. Taking the time to explain what the issues are go a long way.
  3. Salinae Old Cranky member

Was coming here to post this, Well done in communicating the issue. Thank you @dreamweaver for giving us a summary of the delays.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Magneress like this.
  4. Buster_Shruggs Augur

That was a detailed update for sure and definitely appreciated. Perfect though?
  5. Aamonn Journeyman

On everythin except the downtime. They're exactly 24 hours behind schedule (2pm notes per DW). So I think he should have set expectations better with his last 2 'update' posts. They knew it would run much longer so why not set expectations properly instead of throwing a number up there they know they can't possibly keep? Don't expect servers to come back online before 10am PDT tomorrow. Its setting expectations poorly that causes most of the whining.
  6. feeltheburn Augur

what would go a long way is not needing ungodly time to get it done or at least compensate people for yet AGAIN lost time in such a short time. Game or not...still a business, still a product...if people pay for 30 days, they want 30 days not 25 etc...and told oh well sorry move along. just my 2cp, dont take much to throw people bonus spawns...xp....item? or refund of sorts on accounts. THAT is what would go a long way.
  7. Revan41686 New Member

As a loyal paying customer at this point i don't think it's unreasonable to expect some kind of compensation for this...
    feeltheburn likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

I can smell the sweat coming off the engineer furiously trying to script working SQL queries all the way here in south east Michigan, despite being on a raft floating above my roof.
  9. Jennre Band Leader

Yes, it was to the point and explained what went wrong.
  10. dreamweaver Community Manager

Oh no were you caught in the dam break!?
    Magneress, Braikkarrii and Nennius like this.
  11. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I've noticed you lauding the Devs on a different thread. I am glad they have someone so optimistic cheering them on. They receive plenty of negative comments directed at their handling/mishandling of issues in this game. At times the backlash seems unfair and sometimes it seems like its just part of the job.I lowered my expectations of how they respond to issues a long time ago and its served me well; long downtimes, unexpected downtimes, lacking CS, and so on. Positive or negative feedback, I don't think either really makes a huge difference to them. It is a business and $$ is the only motivation that really dictates how things are done. I love the game and hope it lives on for many more years; at the price of a Krono, I still think its worth it. Keep cheering them on! ( NO sarcasm intended!)
  12. Jennre Band Leader

I think if more people understood the life of a Dev/OPS person, and what they have to endure, they might not be so harsh.

Many game companies don't really give you access to the Dev team, instead opting for Customer Support to roll up top issues and bugs to the Dev team. It's a good thing that the Dev team is actively involved with the community, despite how that community treats them.

I currently work in Azure OPs, and understand the pain of a massive data migration. Hopefully they have gone with AppSource/GIT over massive Powershell scripts like I used to have to tweak and run when I worked in Dynamics 365.
  13. Jennre Band Leader

Besides, anyone working on keeping us entertained during this state of things deserves a compliment and some empathy every now and then.
    Magneress and minimind like this.
  14. Grig-zek New Member

I logged in just to say thank-you to Dreamweaver as well. The process had unforeseen problems and requires extended downtime. Obviously we're not happy about it, but having it explained to us instead of just some bland "we need more time" goes a long way to making the whole process palatable.
    Magneress likes this.
  15. Cuuthbert Augur

I want compensation, I want free everything, I have been so mistreated

16. Cuuthbert Augur

on a serious note, I was glad Dreamweaver took the time to give us a detailed update of what is going on.
    Magneress, Jennre and Celephane like this.
  17. cadres Augur

Don't get it.
    People just doing their jobs...
    Admittedly this is a big improvement

In my industry, you are expected to respond to *any* problem within 30 seconds in core hours, 5 minutes out of hours. A problem happens out of hours, you better be working on it within 30 minutes and filing reports every 30 minutes internally and externally until it's fixed. You get a break after 48 hours if it's still going. In the meantime *everyone's* leave/sleep is cancelled
    And that's how it should be
    Why do we expect so little from what is supposed to be a 24/7 company?
  18. Goburs The Filthy Casualz Leader

Was not infact Dreamwraver, as he is blissfully oversleeping as we speak.
    dreamweaver likes this.
  19. Claan Elder

I also wish to say thanks for the info. That makes it so much easier to be patient.
    Magneress likes this.
  20. Barton The Mischievous

Thanks for the update DW,

I am not pleased about the extended downtime. I am however ok with it.

The ability for the EQ team to be able to merge servers as needed and it not break everything needs to be dealt with. If it takes 3 days now but allows server mergers to be done later on as needed. With minimal downtime and work on the Teams Part so be it.
    I may not be super happy about it but it needs to be done imo.

Those asking for compensation are also not entirely wrong either though.
    Companies imo should be held accountable by their customers if and when they do not receive what they have paid for.