Reviewing Torment of Velious expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, May 19, 2020.

1. Whulfgar Augur

I call BS on this post right here .. There's not a single person on any server who has beaten ToV grp content .. (with new gear, levels, spells, melee tomes) and now can not go back an beat TBL grp content ..

Sorry bud.. I been playing eq for longer then a couple days.
    Tuco likes this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

TBL would have been redeemed if they opened up Esianti, just Esianti. (No one wants to start an expansion on floating islands: Stratos).

Esianti would have become like Frontier Mountains (EoK) and Overthere (RoS).

It was a missed opportunity.

Then GMM came along and the point became moot.
    Yinla and Petalonyx like this.
  3. Magneress Augur

:reposes in deep thought with hand on chin: You know I just never looked at it this way, this seems more and more likely the more I think about it. I love happy accidents, that's my excuse for coming back lol.

:turns G force to 10: :flexes: :p : pancakes :
  4. Tuco Augur

Yes.

Yes.
    TBL.
    Magneress likes this.
  5. Yendar Augur

Not a single person? I have beaten all the ToV group content and not been able to finish TBL or RoS Challenger still for that matter.

A guy just asked me yesterday for help in the mearatas mission (because he wanted a muhbis for a security aug) on my cleric because they had trouble with a merc. No muhbis dropped so I recommended they do center namer. I left.. The same group died doing a center namer because it was fading the tanks aggro then going after other players... this was just two days ago. This is a 115 pally, shaman, wiz and a 111 wiz. There are mobs that summon adds in TBL that are hard for a lot of players to deal with (they might need a tank that can AE taunt) or a CC class.

The mechanics of the missions/mobs are what make them more challenging sometimes... so having better gear/AA/Spells doesn’t automatically make them trivial.

Now let’s look at ToV missions/namers. Do you actually need your levels, gear, AA, & new spells to complete them? Or are you able to do them earlier than that? So why are you trying to compare someone that has more than what’s required to to the ToV stuff? I think most classes can complete the expansion without the new spells, levels and AA’s other than what’s required to use their old stuff. In fact I did most of the content without this stuff. I never made a single piece of T1 or T2 Armor in ToV for instance.. I just waited until I got t3.. I still have a few scattered muhbis pieces on my toons now, but when I first completed the xpac I had lots. I obviously got my exp through progression rather quickly so I leveled up but I was missing the AA’s. Most of my spells I didn’t buy from the vendor as I just waited for their rk2 versions to drop.. I purchased a couple key ones on the chanter (mezzes) and cleric (new heals) other than that I just waited for drops. The upgrades weren’t necessary or even that helpful. I waited to buy my type 3 augs until I got my new T3 non vis item. I didn’t do these things because I wanted to save plat.. I have plenty of krono/play I don’t care about that... I did them because I didn’t feel the upgrades were actually that important or needed.. so id prefer to do it just once. This VASTLY varies with TBL an expansion where had MAJOR hp problems.. and upgraded everything I could ASAP.. just OT orevent dying from AE dmg.. where I kept 2 cleric mercs up at all time (if I wasn’t healing) and the mercs died from the AE’s if not maxed HP AA..

But sure, not a single person has completed ToV and has trouble with RoS or TBL missions/namers.. I’ll take your word for it.
    Alena likes this.
  6. Chopin.Xegony Augur

I did all of TBL with a mage pet tanking and every achievement except a single achievement that we needed a real tank to move the mob. If a bunch of 115s are struggling in TBL they may need to review their play style, their gear, or both.
  7. Tuco Augur

I know you're not counting challenger achievements but Don't Trip in TBL is the hardest group content in the game #changemymind.
    Celephane and enclee like this.
  8. Magneress Augur

pretty gud, needs more babylon tho )
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Like tov was on my rogue exploring zones and seeing were people are pling others haha pretty cool they cant see me but I can see them ;P my rogue likes shiny stuff.

Andarriel
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I figured TBL might have been the only one. I want to try Bannerlord once the early release has been out longer and its fleshed out a bit. Very interesting game though.
  11. Kovachs Lorekeeper

Because TBL has been mentioned in here a few times in comparison I'll start with it:

TBL Pros:
    Visually appealing
    Original content with cool zones
    Tons of stuff to do - Evo items to keep you busy and grouping, challenger galore, missions-a-plenty, Zone progression, lots of named to hunt
    Mearatas Raid: Extreme challenge, loads of fun, still love it (dying ~200 times to beat it was frustrating but worth it in the end)
    Although it didnt exactly REQUIRE it at all times, grouping was strongly encouraged (fielding a healer & well suited tank at 12am -- good luck)
    Introduction of GMM: Loved the museum raid, most fun I had had in a long time in EQ

TBL Cons:
    Extremely difficult, I know more than a couple guilds fractured because of the overall raid difficulty, casuals coming in with conflagrant gear & fully auged couldnt handle much past stratos
    Locked Zones was kind of a pain, there was work arounds if you actually tried (camp fire, guild banner, lamp etc.)
    Smoke Trials - Fun, but it seemed people avoided Trial of Ash after winning at all costs making it difficult for others to complete
    The progression of going to Zone A -> B -> C -> A -> B was strange but once you got your lamp travel was easy
    Very unfriendly expansion for alts

In the end TBL grew on me and I came to like it much more than when it came out. It's still fun and a somewhat of a challenge going back when helping people with progression or upgrading dissident for alts.

Moving on to ToV
    Was very excited from this, the pictures posted leading up to release had me stoked

Pros:
    Difficulty is just right for almost anyone to be able to complete tasks
    I liked the requirement of progression to level, it was a different spin. Doing it multiple times to keep alts up with the times became painful. AA exp was on par with RoS and TBL
    T1 Gear being droppable and non-prestige - Way cool! Great economic boon and offered excellent gear with no entry requirement and the ability to interact with the expansion from the beginning
    No progression requirement for raid / mission request -- overly easy but better accessibility for everyone no matter the time of day / night
    Tradeskill earring has been a tremendous economic enhancer relating to tradeskill items past and present
    More than enough mobs in each zone to go around

Cons:
    Raids are kind of a shmooze - ToFS1 is fun, Velks hurray, Kael awesome, T1: I need some coffee
    Cookie cutter zones -- I get it, budget and stuff
    ToFS pathing -- I avoid that zone as much as possible
    Grind exp could be a little better
    So much ice and snow! almost need sunglasses to play in Velks
    4 missions? C'mon mannn! Comparably RoS in essence only had two viable missions at a moments notice
    Would have been nice to have some more challenger achievements, see previous comment.
    Raid releases: oh boy. Roll out needs better oversight next time. Though I liked they were trying to venture out of conventionalism -- missing work on a Thursday at noon, yeah i didn't admit to anyone why I ACTUALLY had to miss work

Over all for Torment of Velious I give it a B-

I haven't witnessed anyone quit over it, in fact I have seen more people than ever rolling alts from their expac heroics, anniversary heroics, and putting some work into them. Also during ToV I have found my beastlord to be an exceptionally fun class and getting some attention.
    I realize the Dev's can't please everyone's palate and hit a grandslam on any expansion. I think they did an OK job on ToV and appreciate their continued efforts to keep the content flowing.
    Jeraldo Rivera and Mithra like this.
  12. Yendar Augur

Okay.. I can agree here, but I can also make that same comment for ToV..

A mage pet can tank all of ToV (easier than in TBL) when it was live. You can literally get every single achievement with a mage pet tanking in ToV..and if a bunch of 115’s are struggling in ToV they need to review their playstyle & gear.

When TBL went live.. it was difficult for a group geared mage pet to tank a lot of stuff not because the pet died.. because the MAGE didn’t have enough HP to survive the AEs in things like the ashes trial or against alot of TBL namers. There’s no problems like that in ToV.

Nowadays the bad players that do need to review their playstyle can still struggle with the mechanics of TBL encounters even with the new gear, AA’s and levels.. these same players struggle some in ToV too.. but they have still been able to complete it.. because unlike last year.. it’s a lot easier to carry multiple bad players through all the missions.
  13. Anastasis Elder

May I ask how do you do the ToV missions? I would like to learn how to pet tank the missions.
  14. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

if you're an END game player that already has all the gear / AA... you've ALREADY DONE IT.... start an alt, go finish up previous expansions that you weren't able to with your previous gear/aa.... there's a virtually endless list of things you could do.
  15. Pusur New Member

Id like to know too. Ive tried pet tanking velks but seemed boss wont be pet tanked, like some other mobs in tov. Really sad and stupid having some mobs not pet tankable.
  16. Yendar Augur

I don’t normally pet tank the missions.. and I play the mage the least of all my toons in groups.. but what kind of problems are you having pet tanking? And which mission?

Kael is pretty easy to pet tank and have someone else grab adds..

GD you can have issues with some of the wolf adds if no mezzer since you can’t AE taunt.. and narandi is a PITA with a pet because when he splits he doesn’t stay separated so you can’t tell the real one from the fake one.

EW a pet tank doesn’t work that well unless you have a lot of dps and can burn right through it.. since again you get adds and can’t AE taunt.

Velks I’ve never tried
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I think for groupers it was a good expansion. The only thing missing was one challenging group zone (Sleepers Tomb).

For raiders in a healthy raiding guild, it was a bad expansion. Too easy but even worse, the events are boring. Kael should have been rough and used cool and challenging mechanics.

For raids in an unhealthy raiding guild, it was probably an ok expansion. Let them catch up a lot.
    Marton likes this.
  18. Yendar Augur

Obviously.. the problem is that this expansion brought us to the end game very quickly because it was so easy.

There’s literally a post above this with Kizant talk about how he can solo with his lower level necro in EW simply by chaining the level 110 swarm pets. People are killing these same mobs with full groups... full gear.. and max AA..

Mobs that can be killed by last expansions swarm pets.
  19. Anastasis Elder

For all the missions, I am assuming you use earth pet. For EW, 2 mages and a ranger, using merc healers. We can get the mission done, messy, and have to open the chest really fast to get rid of the adds. GD, the trouble is the last one, how do you fast switch? KD, we have trouble with adds. Have not try Velk.

So, from your answer here, it sounds like your group do not depends on pet tanking to get the missions down.
  20. Yendar Augur

I normally just join a pickup group or whoever is running missions I just join up with a toon that doesn’t have a lockout as I’m still missing new type 5’s on all my toons. Often times they want a cleric so I end up on the healer.

But no, I don’t normally pet tank, that would be last resort.. I also prefer not boxing on them (not that it’s particularly hard too) I usually just play one toon as it’s not hard to fill the group usually.