The "Patch"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Braveheart, May 19, 2020.

1. kizant Augur

What are you disagreeing with? I said that it couldn't compete with the 386 that was released a year later. It had it's 1 year or so being a good product worth considering and that's it. That one year seems to be an eternity to the old Amiga fanboys.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

"couldn't compete" to me means not as capable, which is what I disagreed with.

Whatever, no big deal.
    Herf likes this.
  3. GoneFission Augur

Along the lines of where this discussion has gone, as much as I despise Bill Gates and Microsoft for destroying as many software companies as they could, at least they largely unified the platforms. Remember looking at software and having to be sure it was a compatible port for your hardware and OS? We don’t have to do that anymore.
    Nadisia likes this.
  4. Nadisia Augur

Yep GoneFission, you're absolutely right, I do have the exact same feelings, platform unification is great.

But ... Microsoft Windows OS was probably one of the worst OS choice for this (if not THE worst choice).
    It's decent now, but still suffers from huge misconceptions and silly decisions.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I remember way back in the day, the devs talking about the backend servers running Linux.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Magneress Augur

I don't know if it's been said but look on the bright side, maybe all the putters got migrated to shiny new ones with new OS's and clean installs and should be more stable now, am'i'right?
  7. Jam_sandwich New Member

All this talk about Windows gives me the mental vision of 2 DBG developers/sys ops watching a Windows copy dialog box showing Copying Server/Lockjaw/*.* <<to>> Server/Ragefire and they are both looking at the remaining "Microsoft minutes" left and shaking their heads.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Herf and Soygen like this.
  8. Nadisia Augur

Hehe Jam_sandwich (your name should be banned, now I'm hungry :p)

This one never gets old :

Woops ... moving right along :D
    That face.
  9. Jennre Band Leader

It more than likely was migrated to server scalesets in Azure, or AWS.
  10. Feochadan the Savior Lorekeeper

I remember a pre-Windows 95 game. The name was The 7th Guest. It came with a CD for the game and a CD for the drivers. Windows saved us from that.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Oh look the FV server!...that definitely explains why it takes 20 seconds for comments typed in #General to show up
    Nadisia likes this.
  12. Magneress Augur

makes a lot of sense to do this with the way server hardware and oracle, or sql software is designed today, u could have one rack with 10 cpus and 80 cores.

the original server code probably ran or launched on a pentium 4 or someting mmx haha

wouldn't be surprised if each zone just spawns a new vm and launches a server to host it
    Gyurika Godofwar and Jyve like this.
  13. Fandiien Lorekeeper

Whoopie.. patch is now extended another 6 hours. Alright a 30 hour patch. Way to to dayBROKE. Est time now at 4 pm pacific. Guess they broke some more things which is to be expected with the current owner of the game.
    Colt4954 likes this.
  14. Colt4954 Journeyman

They just extended it 6 hours, this is just stupid now,
  15. Kittyzerk Lorekeeper

You are surprised? This is normal for them. Just wait until servers unlock and we all get on. They will go down shortly after for "scheduled" patch. Then the 24 hour patch that extended 6 hours turns into something where we can play Evercra...err Everquest again on Monday =)
  16. feeltheburn Augur

24 HOURS was not quite enough lol
  17. blogget New Member

i'm always patient with DB with these patches, i realize sometimes things go wrong, but now i'm questioning whether i want to actually spend real money on a game that is so apparently unstable, because we all know that once this patch is finally done, extended downtime included, there will be more patches to fix problems from this one over the next several days
    Colt4954 likes this.
  18. Kittyzerk Lorekeeper

But they will be "scheduled"
  19. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

Not suprised at all. More suprised that they think that 6 more hours will be enough. I am willing to bet around 1 or 2 PM (I am PDT) it will be extended at least another 6 hours. (Spaghetti code + bargain basement servers) X no QA^3 = broke game. Sorry about the math, but the numbers dont lie...
    Colt4954 and Kittyzerk like this.
  20. svann Augur

Trying to find someplace that sells the 5 1/4" floppies.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Coagagin like this.