After server merge...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Impeach, May 19, 2020.

1. Impeach New Member

I've done a search of these forums and thoroughly reviewed the server merge notes. I couldn't find an answer.

I'm on one of the servers that will be merged to another server. I'm a large multiboxer. Lots of characters. I use a well known multiboxing kit that is allowed on standard Everquest servers. The software multiboxing kit uses everquest configuration files and overwrites the real ones with virtual files used by the multiboxing kit to store configuration data for each client run.

My question is will the configuration files still work after the server merge? Has anyone been through a server merge to confirm? What work will be needed after the server merge to get all of the screen settings, socials, and any other configuration to the way it was on the prior server before the merge?
  2. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Actually for the entire existence of that "kit" every version of this company including Darkpaw has gone through tremendous leaps and bounds to actually avoid saying yes you can use it. People get banned all the time for it, while others are not. Its a serious problem with the company, since every other studio on Planet Earth has said that "kit" is ok to use but this one.
  3. Impeach New Member

I'm sorry but that has nothing at all to do with my questions. I already know the answer to whether or not I can use it on standard servers. The answer is an emphatic yes it is allowed and can be used. The problem with the answer to the question I didn't ask is with misinformation in the player base.

Other MMORPG companies also don't answer definitely. None of them do. The gaming company that supports and runs Everquest answers in the same way as all of the others. However once again that's not my question and I'm not worried about using it at all. I appreciate your concern.
  4. Schadenfreude Augur

Have you tried the official support Discord? It's a paid product after all.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

I don't use any boxing software. Never have. I only box two characters and I haven't felt the need for software help. That having been said; Why are companies loathe to make a statement about it? I could guess, but I am really curious. Are there potential legal complications? They don't want to? There not sure about it? They are hoping to buy the product and profit from it? They want to keep us guessing? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

Some folks have been banned for using 3rd party software and I so it worries the folks who this stuff. I don't really expect an answer from the powers that be, but I remain hopeful.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming and since Sissruukk hasn't shown up to mow my backyard lawn I have work to do. ;)
  6. Laerkai New Member

I don't even know what program you're using or anything about it, but the safe thing to do is copy your configuration files (both the EQ files for your characters and those used by your third party boxing software) and keep them somewhere other than the EQ directory until after the merge is complete. Then if something breaks, you can work on renaming the files (probably to the new server name and your new character names, if any) so they work properly, without harming the original files.
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Impeach New Member

Ok here we go....

It's not really that complex if you understand the position of the gaming companies. The gaming companies cannot state one way or another the use of any software external to their own. The game company determines what is allowed and not allowed 3rd party software. With the gaming company's game, you are given a license to use their game. What gaming companies state in their End User License Agreement, Terms of Service or whatever else it is they call their rule set is "Prohibited 3rd party software is not allowed". What that means is they make the determination as to what is allowed to be used by their service and what is not. It's not that "3rd party software is not allowed". It's that "Prohibited 3rd party software is not allowed". It's also not in the EULA that the gaming company will tell you what is allowed or not either.

If you want to know whether or not your 3rd party software is allowed or not with regard to multiboxing, do a search in the support pages of the game. With Everquest, the key part that deals with multiboxing characters is this one:
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...n-a-True-Box-Progression-server-in-EverQuest-

Take note the key line in this support page is this one as it pertains to True Box Progression Servers:
    "Any method to send one key press to multiple characters"

The key to that line is that it doesn't exist in the Any Servers description. The Any Servers description mentions "Unattended Gameplay" which is completely different to sending one key press to multiple characters.

You may note that there is reference to 3rd party software in the True Box Progression Servers description of rules. However that statement is not legally binding as the company meant to state "prohibited 3rd party software" just like it's written in the End User License Agreement. It can't be legally binding in the support page because Everquest runs in Microsoft Windows which is 3rd party software. So the support guys have an update to make to that page.
  8. Impeach New Member

That's exactly what I'm doing. I just thought maybe someone has been through a merge and may know a little more about how the configuration files stored locally on the PC are handled during a merge.
  9. Greymantle Augur

I do not use any of the kind of software, however I do recall it being an issue at merge. The filenames for your character have the server name as part for the file header. If there is a copy command in the software for copining a char set from one server to another I sugest running that. Othewise I belive you will have to manually edit the char filenames to include the new server name.
  10. Qbert Gallifreyan

Presumably the cheat software has forums of their own, and you can ask there.
  11. Laronk Augur

You're probably going to have to make changes just like how with your ui ini files that have your hotbuttons and such in them for normal eq players.
  12. svann Augur

^This
    Its a real good idea to backup those files from time to time anyway.
    /myui (or whatever you name your ui folder)
    /userdata
    name_server.ini (for each character)
    UI_name_server.ini (same)
    eqclient.ini
    Save them to the cloud or a thumb drive so if the computer goes bad you still have them. And if the your server name is changed from the merger then change the name of the 2 files that reference it.
  13. Impeach New Member

I'm sorry I don't cheat and I don't visit forums that discuss that activity. I'd rather play within the rules of the game. :)
  14. Nadisia Augur

@OP
    If you're talking about files like eqclient-SoAndSo-Server.ini, and eqlsPlayerData-SoAndSo-Server.ini, used by ISB for character settings virtualization, yes, they will work, as the servers are strictly identical, the structure of the game doesn't change.

But you'll need to rename the files and adapt them to the new server name, probably.
    For instance, eqclient-SoAndSo-Fippy.ini will become eqclient-SoAndSo-Vox.ini
    Same for eqlsPlayerData-SoAndSo-Fippy.ini (> eqlsPlayerData-SoAndSo-Vox.ini)

Exactly the same for all of your characters (well, it depends on how you virtualize your stuff).
    But intrinsically, nothing will change, just the names.

My advice?
    1st, backup all your files, your ini files.
    And backup your ISB profile before the merge (in ISB Toolkit, the program, File > Save as, and pick a clear name, something like EQ1_Pre_Merge.XML)

Make a copy of this file, and rename it as EQ1_Post_Merge.XML.
    Do the exact same things for each eqclient and eqlsPlaterData file.

Then load your new ISB profile into ISB Toolkit, and modify the settings for each character accordingly with the new names.
    Save, and export to Innerspace.

At least, if something goes wrong, you'll get a backup of your previous settings.

1st rule of thumb in computing : ALWAYS backup before messing with files, just in case some crap hits the fan (cuz sooner or later, some poop will hit the fan :D)

And just in case, I'd backup ALL my .ini files, ISB related, or not.
    Because your UI files names will change, same for audio triggers, loot filters, etc, everything like UI_SoAndSo_Fippy.ini, LF_Nvr_SoAndSo_Fippy.ini etc etc, will become Something_Vox.ini after the merge.
    (Just an example, it'll be exactly the same for Brekt and Firiona)

Backup ALL the ini files, recursively, starting from the Everquest main folder.

And backup all this regularly , cron managers and task schedulers (Win) are made for this, use them.

And save them on a cloud storage (DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, whatever).
    These files do not contain any sensitive data, and it'll save you a lot of time , and headaches, if one day your computer fries, or your hard disks. ;)

Edit : After thinking twice (it's early morning here, and I'm a little bit slow in the morning :oops: ), you don't even need to rename the ISB related files, as they're not in direct relationship with EQ files, it's just for virtualization ... BUT, you'll get a mix of old and new names, and it'll be a little bit messy. So I'd still rename the files, and restart with a clean naming.
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

:p
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Except that Everquest states that Microsoft Windows is permissible by the fact that it is a listed requirement to play the game.

I also am quite sure Daybreak would have no problem defining Microsoft Windows as an allowable third party software. Microsoft Windows is not "prohibited 3rd party software". I guess the only argument you can make is what do they mean by "prohibited 3rd party sofware". If it means all third party software then your windows argument might have some merit. If they mean third party software that they prohibit then you have no leg to stand on regarding windows as they have never implicitly or explicitly prohibited microsoft windows.

While you may not feel a description for the server info is legal you acknowledge it is in the End User License Agreement. Microsoft already is conferred at least implicit approval as it is listed as part of the system requirements. I am not sure if legally that also makes it explicit since they are clearly stating it is required to run the game and would therefore not meet the definition of prohibited software.

With even a fuzzy definition of whether the operating system was allowed I suspect usage law would come into play https://definitions.uslegal.com/u/usage/ . Operating systems required to run games are never prohibited by the game makers so usage law would keep the operating system from being considered prohibited software.