Allow transfers to Agnarr after PoP/LoY since Aradune was switched to not be pop locked.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, May 15, 2020.

1. Terranos Elder

Yes
  2. Machen New Member

They did that already, it's called Gates of Discord. If you want content after PoP you should try it. If Gates isn't the content you want, this dev team probably won't be able to do something different that you will actually like.
  3. Mrjon3s Augur

I don't get why people don't try Gates+ the content is actually pretty good. You got some sleepers like PoR but everything else is good..
  4. Nolrog Augur

/faceplam. Then people will continually re-roll their characters to get the best starting stats so they can level the fastest. Got a warrior where all the stats went into INT, WIS, CHA? OK, delete that one, roll another.
  5. MMOer Augur

Uhg, so many "If you want POP lock go play AGNAR!!!" posts. Complete waste of a post other than bumping the thread. Akin to "This is MERCIA!! Go somewhere else" gatekeeping argument.

Clearly they do not understand or are doing their best to be willfully ignorant of reality.

Ask yourself and think about.

1) The majority of people flood to new fresh TLP's, play classic, and bail after classic until the next one is released. They like playing classic. They like having a high population to group with. Not be antisocial krono farming basement soloist. Not play the wreck of a game that came post wow.

2) Starting on Agnar now, an old pop lock tlp, is not appealing to most people who like to group. It is aged and there is very few new players coming in due to the nature of a 20 year old TLP. Thus feeder servers are needed. New TLPs either pop locked and merged once ran its course OR allow transfer during the same time period from other fresh TLP's. Solves the issue of freshness as there are no new trickle players to a 20 year old TLP game AND gives permentance to the player as they do not need to abandon their character and hundreds of hours of play investment to just jump to the next TLP.
    Kehl and Bullwyf like this.
  6. Lionari Elder

The server was announced to be 'pop-locked' for a week. It won't even be released for 10 days or so. Are you serious?
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

So you want to transfer to an expansion locked server from a server that has progressed past that expansion and has access to gear that would be better than what is available on the expansion locked server?
  8. Sikkun Augur

22 expansions later...EQ post PoP is the most successful failed MMORPG there is.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. MMOer Augur

That would be rawrtarded ... . Is that seriously what you think the point of the thread is or are you just being facetious?
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Your thread title is asking for transfers after PoP/LoY so what else would you expect people to think?
  11. NinjutsuMMO Augur

i love Agnarr, but i wish i could get a new dark elf mask and i would reroll on a new tlp if i could transfer to Agnarr after.... plus i like the early years of EQ the most....
  12. MattThePhat New Member

This. This is exactly how I feel along with my group of RL friends. I will admit though... They would have to figure out the pre-nerf items if they are going to do feeder servers. Most people like to start fresh on new servers. That much is obvious. Where you want to jump off the ride or stay and chill is the real question. I'd be happy with 1 server every 4 years that locks anywhere from PoP to OoW. If they want to find a way to merge those every 3rd release that would probably work out. I don't know what all the fuss is about. There are like 10 TLP servers out as of this post. There can't be 1 more PoP-ish lock? Okay then take these 2 new ones this year. Then give 1 PoP-OoW lock next year. I bet if they did 1 and 1 in the original announcement there wouldn't have been such push back.
    Kehl likes this.
  13. MaestroM Augur

I was about to click submit in the other thread!

Agnarr broke my heart. I wanted it to be home so bad. But I also wasn't able to keep up.

I might have gone back to Agnarr but the "shiny new" TLPs are, I think, always going to be the draw for me.

So long as DPG continues to release new TLPs every year or so, i won't argue for longer lockouts or locked TLPs. The draw of new TLPs is, for me, greater than the desire to stay on a locked or long-lockout server.

I reserve the right to revisit all of this is DPG ever announces that a server will the "last" TLP.
  14. Zinkeh Augur

I'll just follow up my post here from the closed post. If we can try to keep the P99-esque neckbeard tantrums to a minimum we can discuss this, like ..you know, grown-ups

ZS
    It's fine that you disagree but it's a bit disconcerting how quickly you slip directly into anger and personal attacks over a forum post that doesn't effect you in any way.

Knew Agnarr was PoP locked when I joined it. That was never in question. Played there till it got quiet. Have been on Mangler since launch with 2 65's and a smattering of lowbies. Agnarr right now can transfer to live servers, just not TLP. I was simply requesting they look into allowing characters to move across to TLP servers that are past a certain point in progression, a request that many many folks have asked about, especially with Mangler into LDoN. As it is folks are paying AOE bots to level their chars from 0 to 65 in a day or two on Mangler so it's not like bringing a leveled char here would be so terrible. It's not an altogether unreasonable request and certainly not something for you to get so spicey about.

This isn't the p99 forums.
  15. Machen New Member

First off, I can't imagine a scenario when a company would ever announce something like this. But if they did, I can't imagine a scenario where they'd want to release a server with long lockouts that would take 10+ years to reach live,, or even 2+ years to reach pop. It would be very counterproductive if they are in the middle of shutting down EQ for good.
  16. Fluid Augur

I got screwed on Agnarr, by screwing myself mostly.

Look, anyone who says TLP wasn't about grouping is being disingenuous. Even the ability to play two different accounts from one IP was a fix for people like a husband and wife or parent child in the same household.

So I jumped on Agnarr and only played one account even though I had multiple accounts and computers. Then my frigging guild broke up. So now I only have a single account with developed players and I am trying to play catch up on the second account so I will have the grouping ability to at least level both accounts to the maximum.

Wanting to be on a server that lets you take a break and not be so far behind the other people on the server that they don't want to group with you is a plus.

I'm a pretty lousy guild member and lots of guilds are lousy too when you consider the different play styles and requirements. I like to give new TLPs a spin, most guilds require ~12-18 hours of participation per week via raiding or else. These two things are obvious and incompatible with each other.

Once again so you don't forget my point, it is about the ability and desire to group. I played by the rules and ended up screwing myself. I don't look for someone i.e. DP, to bail me out of my problem. I will just level a character on the second account and then use them to team to max level. Point being, the current system still has flaws when it comes to its user base. I finally gave up the ghost of anyone actually playing the servers the way they were designed and used two computers/accounts on Mangler from day one. That doesn't mean the PoP lock and desire to be able to take a break isn't still there. I mean you can't take a break from your regular server even today to play a TLP server w/o running into trouble with your guild!

As far as having to play the same content forever, well just no. It was a way the game was designed to develop rather then something that must be. There is no rule that says expansions can't be Monty Haul and the same level requirements. Think of additions like different races and places like Paludal Caverns that were sub level 50 additions. It doesn't bug me that Verant/SOE/et al decided to do it with levels. It would be intellectually dishonest to say that is the only way.
  17. Machen New Member

Sure, if there are people still around to group with when you come back from your break. Agnarr has showed that once the server hits that lock, there really won't be.

I'd suggest giving Rizlona a try, with your constraints having easy access to boxing will let you keep up/catch up even with limited play time and many breaks and with lots of other people boxing there will likely be people willing to give you some help catching up when you return. I suspect guilds will see a lot of people taking time off regularly.
    Fluid likes this.
  18. Sikkun Augur

When asked about EQN

“When we are ready to show it,” he said, “I think you guys are going to get blown away by a combination of what we’ve done and what our users have done.” Hopefully that’ll be sooner rather than later. As for those who claim that EQN is just vaporware, Smedley answered, “Whatever. Look at our company’s history — we are not about vaporware. We deliver.” - John Smedley, May 2015.

I can think of some scenarios where it’s happened before though!
  19. UncleB New Member

OP had a great idea. The anti Pop-lockers are being intentionally dense (and obnoxious), saying things like "stay on Aradune." How childish of a statement. Using that same "logic," I could say to anyone wanting any TLP server to have any expansions to "stay on live." Obviously, the point of progression servers is to reset the economy and promote cooperative play/grouping, which occurs mostly during leveling. Since the new TLPs were advertised as POP locked, I think it is very fair to allow transfers off that server when it is time to go beyond POP. That allows everyone to enjoy the reboot experience while giving those who wants to stop at PoP to xfer to aradune (and no, not with post-PoP gear; what an absurd interpretation of OP! Foolish.)

Expansion locks do not preserve the game reset culture/feel, which is why people keep going to newer TLPs when the open; so holding an expansion at a certain point seems ineffective. Instead, why not do something completely different? How about a scaled release of expansions that slows as expansions reach certain thresholds. (Example: Classic for 4 weeks then add Kunark, 6 weeks later add Vel, 8 weeks later add Lucl, 9 weeks later add PoP. For expansions after PoP, start at 12 week intervals and increase delay by 1 week per expansion (12, 13, 14, so on). Of course, the non-level cap expansions can have their delay halved. This would allow for slower playtime to preserve the activity as much as possible (and give slower players more and more time to catch up to the faster, to limit the distribution of levels across the server a little less) without having a hard cap to discourage the hardcore players/guilds from deserting to find something new to do.

Ultimately, nothing effectively preserves the "reset" culture of a new progression server. So, it seems most prudent to create a couple different progression servers, each with unique rules/circumstances/systems, and allow frequent new TLP servers, one for each ruleset, which run awhile then roll over into a permanent server then reset/restart the TLP again at the beginning. So for each ruleset, one permanent server and one cycling restarting server. (Similar to what they're already doing, but a more formal system of new/rolling/cycling). I also agree there should be some diversity with the rulesets. No reason to make multiple progression server-sets with the same conditions/parameters.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think that is a genuinely terrible idea, I say that having played on Ragefire which had voted unlocks & Phinigel which has a 12/8 schedule.
    I had a job/family responsibilities for most of that time so I was only playing for 4-5 hours 3-4 evenings a week & Ragefire felt painfully slow.
    The level 70 phase is painfully too long already even on TLP with 12/8 schedule and is in my experience the worst era of EQ for player attrition, making that even longer would be a very bad idea indeed.
    Slower playtime players are a minority & they are just not well catered to on TLP servers, they are better off playing on live servers as once they catch up they get a whole year till the next expansion unlocks.
    TLP are really about fast-tracked nostalgia & if you aren't doing the classic to PoP recycle-loop then playing at a slower pace is going to be a bad time where you fall behind way faster than you would even on a live server.

The 12/8 schedule used by Mangler/Aradune/Rizlona is overall about the right speed for a TLP for a really big chunk of players & is why that has become fairly standard, Selos at 1 month was too fast for most and there is another demographic that would be happy with a 8 week unlock speed for all expansions & that's with LoY, LDoN & DoN each paired up with another expansion & plenty who would also be happy to see PoR paired up with DoDH (me included on those pairings).

Some of the later era expansions (Underfoot onwards) could arguably run a little longer than 8 weeks when they don't have a level raise (EoK for example is probably too big an expansion to be squeezed into 8 weeks unless they double loots for it & up the XP rate, the latter of which is very unlikely) but I would only take them to 12 weeks at the most.

I think 2 TLP each year is more than enough, too many & you risk fracturing an already small demographic & depriving the annual TLP of enough "critical mass" of players to see it survive anything longer than a year or to have a successful start even.

A "seasonal" recycling server that goes from Classic to PoP each year is an idea that's been floated around the forums a fair bit in slightly nuanced variations as there is definitely a population of players who enjoy that part of the game & have no interest in moving beyond that era but I think each year the pool of players who want that shrinks so while I think it is an idea worth exploring I am not sure if it would have a long term future, even if you were dumping the characters from it onto Agnarr at the end of each season's run.

Having clones of the prior year's "funky-new-ruleset" is probably not going to work too well either, rehashes/clones get boring fast & even minor tweaks each year in a gradual change of the TLP "formula" work better.
    Could be argued that Aradune is the "standard-model 2020" & Rizlona is the "funky-new-ruleset 2020" while Mangler was the "standard-model 2019" & Selos was the "funky-new-ruleset 2019" for example.

And at the end of the day you also have to factor in costs, TLP can't just be made in 6 different formats each year, we get 1 or 2 at most so have to be sparing with ideas that are not too crazy/risky as they do still need to make DPG money.