Aradune - Duo Mage + Shaman or Druid?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TheChosenOne, May 19, 2020.

1. TheChosenOne Augur

Hi All,

I'm still likely going to go to Rizlona at some point, but looks like a lot of my old guildies are going to Aradune so i want to go chill with them for awhile.. this has blown up my 4 box plan for Rizlona, so now ive been trying to figure out a good 2box duo for Aradune

A buddy of mine is going to be a Necromancer, and I'm pretty set on doing a Mage but I'm completely torn on what to do for my duo partner between a Shaman and Druid

Druid - I strongly want to try this, I know they have good synergy and I LOVE having ports in Classic thru Luclin. Can DoT, Nuke, Heal, Snare....

Shaman - Can haste mage and necro pet, can slow mobs making them trivial, i could snare as troll but necro has that covered.. can buff pets, can heal, crazy dots, self sustained mana with canni

Druid is very tempting, but I played one on Selos and around Luclin it started to get difficult healing groups and keeping up my mana. If there was no slow available, it got VERY hard to heal and stay at full mana, i was constantly going OOM.

I see people say that Druid/Mage is super powerful, but how do you get around not having Slow to do content?

The shamans ability to Slow, Haste and use Canni are some of the biggest driving factors for me right now. Tempted by druid, but just dont understand how you can manage the combo anymore once Slow becomes a huge factor in Luclin/PoP era when mobs hit like trucks?

I feel druids also have difficulty getting groups, whereas a Mage or Shaman can get a group fairly easily

I'm torn and need some help making a decision. Any feedback or advice is appreciated!
  2. Karanthal Augur

If you are going mage/druid you are likely to be kiting snared mobs typically limiting yourself to non-summoning targets. Mage pets don't make particularly good tanks in early expansions. You do have the option of a druid charmed pet in Chardok for example, mage epic pet is pretty solid as well once you get there. Unslowed named mobs are going to be a challenge.

With mage/sham you will have more options open to you and be able to kill named mobs for drops. If you raid with your shaman they will be able to tank most group content if it is slowed, mage pet may be able to handle some mobs slowed as well. Epic pet onwards should be good with slowed mobs in group content.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  3. Overcast451 Augur

Well, slow is less critical if you plan on mostly grouping with them. Just XP grinding, either would work fine I think. But for 'solo' dungeon crawls and other situations where you need the pet to tank, the Shaman is going to be much better because of slow and the buffs the shaman can put on the pet.

The 60+ water and air can tank a mob here and there in hard LDoNs with a slow. I use mine for an offtank as needed in them. I box an enchanter with my Mage and was doing lightcrawers and underbulks with the pet tanking around level 61/62 just fine, with them slowed. Was good for 'solo' XP at that range.

Of course.. the druid has ports and later the extra mana regen from PoT9 is nice too...

If you really want to play the druid, just keep in mind you might need to get to where a dungeon is a lot of light blue or just find groups with them. :)

Since you're boxing a healer - finding a group shouldn't be too rough!
    TheChosenOne likes this.