IS Boxer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mesc, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

I alt tab box 3 toons usually. It is not that hard to double tab to hit a social key (with /pause timers) on the 2 alts. Then I go back to main DPS for a few, then alt tab and hit a second set of socials on each alt. Yes, it is not as efficient, but it is not skirting any rules nor using any third party program to enact game play. I cannot say that I would be able to 4 box or even 6 box. But it still is fun and I can kill most stuff in game. I don't usually box while in group with other people, because when they do something un expected it usually messes me up. But its way better than having some random player in group that likes to tag the incoming pile of mobs, or heal the puller (with a train), right before they cover tracks.

So, if you are willing to 3 box or 2 box with mercs , then you don't necessarily need ISB.
  2. Tappin Augur

Who cares what 3rd party programs people are using. As long as no grieving is going on, who gives a pile.
    Vumad likes this.
  3. Duder Augur

I care because it's a multiplayer game where other players are gaining unfair advantages by cheating. Cheating just a little bit is still cheating. Your definition of grieving differs from others'. The bazaar scripts are a prime example of that. Every /\/\Q trader justifies their use of those malicious scripts in a different way and doesn't think they are having a detrimental effect on other players or the economy. The reality is is that they are doing both. The afk botters justify their massive tradeskill component hauls by saying it's a good thing, people aren't getting the quantities they want otherwise. The items and content in the game offered to legitimate players should not have to be balanced around what the cheaters are doing. The cheating and effects from the cheating doesn't occur in a vacuum, it has an effect on every part of the game. If it did exist in a vacuum no one would care.

Those are just a few examples of cheating hurting the community. There are countless others. No matter what way you try to justify cheating it does hurt the game and other players.
    Bigstomp and Celephane like this.
  4. Tappin Augur

Gina is cheating though - it clearly gives an unfair advantage to those who don’t use it. So if you don’t want cheating, get rid of them all.
  5. Tappin Augur

I am not a fan of bazaar bots - but that’s largely DP fault. They can easily deal with that problem (and they started to), but they don’t want to.
    Jumbur likes this.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't use GINA, but a lot of guildies do, and it is not my impression that I do much worse than them...:p

Generally speaking: paying attention is important, no matter what approach you take. ;)
  7. Duder Augur

Your skill at deflection has increased!

First off you said that it gives an advantage to people who don't use it. Secondly, GINA doesn't play your character for you. Third, you know the userbase over at RG is publicly searchable right? That's just a different Tappin over there though right? Let's clear that up so we know what perspective you are speaking from.
  8. Tappin Augur

Gina is more robust than anything provided in game and does provide advantages. Similarly to most online FPS, software that simply provides a crosshair is cheating.

If DP went your way, then anyone who uses any box assistance program (and does nothing else) is gone and those who don’t want anymore intrusive software/drivers installed on their machine is gone as well. My reference is Doom Eternal.

The price to pay for this is simply not worth it. It’s much easier to deal with it on an individual basis and get rid of the griefers
  9. Duder Augur

Griefing is not the sole problem that comes from cheating, don't ignore that. I listed economic examples. It has been stated that log readers are allowed and not a form of cheating. You are trying to compare GINA to /\/\Q in an attempt to liken them to each other which is far from truth. Let's not pretend that GINA is anything like /\/\Q, because it's not.
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Bigstomp like this.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

And let's not pretend those are the only two tools we're talking about. And that they fall across a spectrum of "clearly not cheating" to "clearly cheating", and for the tools in the middle of that spectrum, there will be a lot of disagreement about which side of the line they fall on.

And I don't think anybody is gonna change anybody else's mind on those opinions.
  11. Duder Augur

And they (DBG) have made statements on the middle of the line stuff. However, automation has always been rejected and is clear cheating. The part that people use /\/\Q (RG/KA) to box for is that it automates their characters. GINA and Innerspace Boxer both do not offer any sort of automation.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Exactly.

Pardon my shock, my recollection is that you've made comments equating ISB and automation. Apparently, I misunderstood what you said, or I'm thinking of somebody else's comments. My apologies.
    Duder likes this.
  13. Duder Augur

Aha! Yeah, not me! Or maybe a misinterpretation from another post. IS B is fine and dandy in my eyes. ;)
  14. Tappin Augur

DP hasn’t said what 3rd party programs are acceptable, but to the contrary what isn’t acceptable - programs that interfere with client/server communications is not acceptable. They have have made vague comments about boxing, but one of those so-called middle of the road programs is actually filtered here on this forum. That’s an indication that it’s not as acceptable as people say it is.
  15. enclee Augur

Read this Discord group chat, 3rd party software is cool just don’t warp and don’t be afk killing.
  16. Tappin Augur

Then what is the big deal here? I did read the discord chat, but they don’t reference what programs, or at least I don’t recall it. I’ll reread and check later.
  17. Zataos Journeyman

so interspace boxer if you try to use that and log in to a tlp server it will d/c in the 1st few mins , so if they have that kind of tech to detect the program then if they did not want it it would be real easy to put it on live servers
  18. Evurkvest Augur

19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL.

The reason it does that is because the dev for ISB put it in there.

Specifically for the true box servers, which is what you're talking about.
    Tuco likes this.
  20. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I often wonder how many paying customers SOE would have kept if they had launched a in-house boxing program like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] when they launched SoD.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.