Ranger Playstyle These Days?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Windchaser, May 16, 2020.

1. Windchaser New Member

I've been a very long time and firing up a ranger again but wondering how they play these days.

Are they heavy melee/spell or are they heavy bow/spell or a mixture of melee/bow/spell?
  2. Kolani Augur

Bow and spell.
    Galien and Windchaser like this.
  3. Fintank Augur

Spells will always be a part of it so it's more of a figuring out which is better between bow/melee. Currently in TOV it's a healthy mix of Bow/Melee, however depending on group makeup and how much annoyance you want to deal with just sticking to Bow is the safest bet for moderate performance.
    Windchaser likes this.
  4. Windchaser New Member

Thank you both for taking time to respond to my curiosity. :)
  5. Decease New Member

When do rangers use melee and or bow in new exp? Leveling one now
  6. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Depends on the content.

In raids, if there is room(minimum bow range) , many rangers use Bow and Spells for max DPS. On some events its not always easy to bow, thus melee and spells might be the only option.

In group content you can do both, or either. Bow and spell DPS is usually higher, but melee and spell DPS can be good depending on weapons set up and group makeup.

If your gear is good enough that you can tank mobs with a 2 hander, you can get a little more DPS than when normal bowing. Either way you should be doting and nuking for DPS as well.

The last 2 expansions there are very few places that rangers can use Head shot. And it does not fire enough to make it worth going after.

Current content you will need to find an IVU clicky , of which, Fabled Bone Earring of Evasion is the only one I know of. And it has a 15 second cast time. But that does allow for regular AA invis. to land while casting.

Every expansion that I can remember there have been mobs that don't summon. So, there is the possibility of snare kiting when you don't have a group or healer but you may have to die a lot to find out which mobs are kite able. Bowing breaks root now and often enough that root killing is not economical.

If you want more info you can contact me on Xegony. I'll be glad to share with you what I have learned.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Probably bow and spell in group but if your like me and molo then melee is the way to go I actually do better melee vs bow anyways but maybe that's just me. Can still get headshots melee using spells its kinda cool. but whatever rout your gonna want high hdex.

Andarriel
  8. Zandez Lorekeeper

In current x-pac TOV, raids typically 2hd pierce, bow and spells. Grp content, depends on grp/gear, can bow, off tank, spells obviously. Headshot really for pl these days tbh. TOV/TBL not many headshottable mobs in a concentrated area.