Enchanter Question

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Lockdown, May 7, 2020.

1. Lockdown Elder

As I finally hit level 65, the AA Doppelganger is available to me. (And I note, as a returning player, that Doppelganger can finally cast DD spells, which I'd asked for years ago.)

But I also see that Doppelganger requires we spend the points on Project Illusion first. But Project Illusion has been disabled. So, can I still get the Doppelganger AA, or is that now gone, too?
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Project Illusion is in my chanter list of aas. Class AA tab.

You can now toggle it on and off.

Mine is showing you need to purchase permanent illusion 1 from General tab as a prerequisite.
  3. Lockdown Elder

Interesting. When I look at the AA list and see that "Project Illusion" was "DISABLED," I assumed it meant that the AA was intentionally broken and they haven't gotten around to removing it from the AA list yet.
    Thank you for explaining that it's a toggle now, and the "DISABLED" simply means it's turn off. I have a lot of ranks of Spell Casting Subtlety to catch up on now.
  4. Lockdown Elder

Regarding the Doppelganger AA, I just purchased the first three ranks of it, and all I can say is, "You have got to be kidding."
    There is no quantifiable benefit from three first three ranks. The duration is the same, the health is the same, and they're casting the same spells I can cast.
    The only difference is the most recent one is one level higher than the previous. But since they're still casting the same spells, what difference can that possibly make?
  5. Szilent Augur

likely it's higher hp, just whatever monsters you're throwing it at are too powerful for that difference to show
  6. Lockdown Elder

Maybe, but if that's true, then the description is wrong. All three of them say they start with the same health as you.

When I left the first time, Doppelganger was simply a distraction. You shadowstep out of the way, and leave a doppelganger (or eventually two) in your wake to give the mob something else to beat up on, so you could cast a spell uninterrupted. Now that this clone finally cast spells (something I've been asking for for years), I wonder if the threat it has is still a good idea. It might be nice having an extra pet that casts the same DD spells and stuns as you, but doesn't have a ton of aggro so it will last a while and add to the DPS, without the danger of getting pulped right away.
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The first 3 levels are purely a level increase for the doppleganger 61-62-63. The next few levels decrease cooldown interval. Then you get 3 and the level for the dopples increases as you gain ranks. Then another decrease in cooldown. And then the last 6 ranks are level increases.

And the description says the FIRST doppleganger's maximum health is equal to your own … not all of them once you get to the multiple stage.

You could save up a bunch of aas, testcopy and then use and parse to see if there's any noticeable difference the level of the dopple makes. Bump a level of the aa and repeat.

It is what it is. You don't have to put aas into it if you don't want to. A number of aas now work like this (where the level increase is close to meaningless). It's usually one of the last few I fill out on my enchanter nowadays .. .even over the focus lines of spells I never use. But eventually the aas get bought.
  8. Lockdown Elder

Oh, I intend to get them all. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Still, as I said, it is nice that they are casting DD spells. And it's nice to know that we eventually get three of them. I was told before I retired that the Doppelgangers could once cast any spell the Enchanter had memmed. This led to problems because, as pets, they were not bound by the restrictions that players had. They would charm boss mobs, for instance. Then the boss mob would unleash a supermassive AoE, which no longer affected players, but now affected the other mobs in the instance, bringing the entire zone down on the raid.

The problem was solved by removing all spell casting capability from the Doppelgangers, and the silly things would just melee. Not much use, except buying you maybe enough time to cast a single spell while the Doppelganger was squashed and the mob would turn its attention on you again.

I suggested that they just allow the Doppelganger to cast DD spells, thus avoiding the problem with charms, but that never happened. Nice to see it finally did.

So, three Dopplegangers eventually? You guys must use them during boss fights a lot. Unless they're still too flimsy to get a spell off before they're killed.

Yeah, I think I'm seeing another AA of dubious benefit like this. I've got the first three ranks of the AA that replaced Animation Empathy, the AA that allowed Enchanters to control their pets.I'm not sure what use the subsequent levels are for. Just getting it to attack and back off seems like all that's needed.
  9. RPoo Augur

If you have three mind nukes up they'll do around a combined 1 million damage if they all live to term.
  10. Lockdown Elder

I'm now at level 66 with over 540 AAs. Some of the changes I've noticed and like.

1) Pets can now actually tank.
    I'm aware that Magician pets could always tank, while the casters hang back and cast spells. But when I left the first time, if a player walked in melee range while a pet was tanking, the mob would immediately start attacking the player.
    It's very useful to actually have a pet that can keep aggro off the players in melee range now. When I did my 1.0 Epic, I was able to Dire Charm Pendle Dashinger to kill the Tangrin (which, by the way, he can no longer do without a healer to sustain him), I was able to build up my melee skills on 1 handed blunt, 1 handed piercing and 2 handed blunt on the Tangrin while Pendle held all the aggro.

2) I forget what it's called, but I just purchased an AA that attaches a debuff onto our Cripple line. This debuff is identical to Deep Sleep, which has a small chance of proccing on mezzes. I assume the two effects stack, since they are exact duplicates of each other, and it's entirely possible to have both operating at once.
  11. Szilent Augur

they don't.
  12. Lockdown Elder

Thank you. I see that now. Since, at 66th level (I'm Intention, on The Rathe server), I only have one level of this AA, the Deep Sleep procs are very rare.

But I did finally get a Deep Sleep proc, as I was mezzing Jords in Bastion of Thunder, and it was overwritten as soon as I cast Synapsis Spasm the Jord. Seems odd that Deep Sleep exists at all. Why bother with it, when it's so unreliable and it's overwritten by Somnolence, which seems to land reliably, even if Synapsis Spasm is resisted?

The only possible reason for it is if the Enchanter is CCing and doesn't have time to cast SS. But since it only has a 2% chance of landing (at least at my level), it hardly seems of much benefit, if it only lands one out of fifty casts of mezz. I don't know what the chances are at 12 levels. 24%? Yee-hah! Almost one of our four casts of mezz!. Still doesn't seem worth it, when it lands so reliably with SS, and you have the added benefit of possibly landing the SS.
  13. Szilent Augur

Think of it like ... monsters fighting enchanters get this debuff on them. Doesn't matter what the enchanter's doing (as long as it's enchantery stuff slowing/mezzing, which as you observe can be between-spells AA buttons even.), monster gets -accuracy shmutzed. Later on a similar thing happens on the beneficial side with Gracious AAs. As long as the enchanter is doing things, again doesn't matter much what, the group gets extra Gifts of Mana and Hazies.
    RPoo likes this.
  14. Lockdown Elder

I understand what you're saying, but there's a downside to it as well. I might use Word of Morell to mezz a mob so I can charm it. Now I've just debuffed my pet.
    RPoo likes this.
  15. RPoo Augur

lol <3