Charm is too strong

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Barthorn, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazzie Lorekeeper

Everyone wishing to make changes so late in the game when the server just merges with another one, or another TLP launches. Nobody cares anymore.
  2. oncharchar New Member

Apparently Encylopedia Dramatica and it's logic, has landed here on the EQ forums, and has clearly never played an Enchanter.

Go back to trolling /pol. kthx.
  3. auto21 Elder

You're 1 line reply that adds nothing to the debate is irony and stupidity at it's best. Thanks for the giggle.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

I disagree completely. I'll wager at least half of the "nerf charm" crowd is driven purely by jealousy.
    Skuz and auto21 like this.
  5. Barthorn Elder

Server isn't out yet, they can play enchanter if they wish. Stop using that weak argument and post something of substance. Everyone knows it's too strong people are just scared to see it balanced.

Maybe quote my full post instead of quoting 1 sentence of it and give some proper input. That's all you do is quote people out of context and put in your 1 liner. GJ
  6. Relentless Insomnia

I don't want to play in a game that is fully balanced.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Weak argument? Motivation is a key factor in people calling for nerfs. Are they jealous? Protecting their favorite class? Looking out for the good of the game? Which is it?

Why should I quote your entire post if I am only responding to one sentence? Was there something in the rest of your post that negated the part I quoted?
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Fenixe17 New Member

Are you completely ignoring all the I play enchanter posts saying that charm is super strong? I am going to play my third TLP Enchanter this time around and I don't mind that they are crazy strong. It is the meta that is warped around charming not just from enchanters but they are obviously the main users. I'm not jealous it is what I play but it definitely warps the meta. I've been in groups with 3 charm mobs with druid with a bat/spider, necro, and myself enchanter and we can kill the entire basement of guk dead. When you can take 3 end game camps of mobs that's an issue. I think we were pulling from upstairs too. It is just too much power for how little risk is involved.

Again I don't give a crap if they change it or not I'm playing one or I'll play something else but as it is Charm and not enchanters but Charm that is super strong. The drawback on other classes is the type restriction so only certain mobs can be used and only certain zones but enchanters can go anywhere hence why they are brought up the most. I don't care if they change it or not but it is bizarre that the best support class in the game with the best CC, best haste, mana regen ,best stuns, and roots also has the best damage spell.
    HJC0083 likes this.
  9. Mire Cullinbrow New Member

Agreed. Furthermore, I don't wanna be in an asylum run by angry, disturbed inmates. Eventually the tyranny of the masses is going to destroy the game we've loved for years.
  10. Barthorn Elder

Why pick apart someone's long post and reply to 1 line you don't agree with? That's not cool. We need valid arguments why it shouldn't be changed or reasons why it should be changed. The jealousy argument is completely speculative. It still doesn't change the fact that charm is too strong.
  11. Helmut8762 New Member

Pretty much always play a shaman or a monk... I love enchanters the way they are. Homogenized classes are boring.

Nerfing anything hurts everyone... this isn't a pvp game...
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Wow, I don't even know how to respond to that. How about this? We agree to disagree. /shake
  13. Barthorn Elder

ya we done
  14. Sikkun Augur

That’s the thing, there’s a meta. There always is a meta, always will be a meta. People who want to play the “best” will play the “best”. People who play classes they like for design, will play them. No one has actually been able to convince Devs that charm is so OP that they need to change the current meta on TLPs (for a couple expansions) in the last 9+ years. Pretty confident it isn’t happening now either.
  15. Komodon Augur

Why does the motivation here have to fall along those lines? Because *you* yourself don't like the idea of charm seeing a re-balance...then everybody else that does must be a witch hunting here? Why can't they simply just believe that the player charm mechanic ultimately presents too large of an in-balance factor that just continually grows/spreads to almost everywhere in the game world, while (unlike you) not being gameworld fans of the fact that a_charmed_pet_x has basically become the most common and overly important "way more efficient then anything else" focal point in a large % of the non-raid grouping progression that goes on in the game world?

Again, if that overly protective mindset is going to be at the primary cornerstone of the majority of the arguments against re-balancing charm...that in itself speaks unsaid volumes about the presented issue imo.
  16. HJC0083 Journeyman

Yes, they ignore those posts and then set up a bunch of strawmen to battle because they are arguing from a bad position and they know it. 95% of them are going to play enc/clr and know exactly how OP charm is - they are just here to try to convince the devs not to nerf their preferred setup.
    Hadesborne and Fenixe17 like this.
  17. aindriuc Elder

I don't really see how any argument is applicable. If charm was OP in classic then so be it. Let it be as it is.

The only real reason I see if it shouldn't be, if they make a case where they are 'balancing' the classes in their version of classic, which I don't think they will do.
  18. Sikkun Augur

Devs already know 95% of the server is not playing a Ench or Cleric.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. HJC0083 Journeyman

Oh come on. It's obvious I was talking about 95% of the people defending charm in this thread.
  20. auto21 Elder

TLDR: It's a lose/lose for the dev team to entertain this change, especially on a TLP. Forget it.

The whole thread was flawed from the beginning... and i'm still not sure why this hasn't been locked. We all know charm is OP along with many other abilities/mechanics so let's look at reality - are you expecting the devs to change this part of the meta just for this one TLP? retrospectively for all? for future TLP or all (both TLP and live)?

If we can get a consensus beyond the vocal minority on that - the next question would be the change itself. What does that involve and where are the numbers to back it up? so you are also expecting the devs to balance it.

I predict with almost certainty that even if these things did happen - some part of the vocal minority will still complain and whine.. (too much, not enough, etc) and THEN ask for all the other changes..... so i'll say it again: It's a lose/lose for the dev team to entertain this change, especially on a TLP.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.