Loot - the hard and fast rules

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vetis, May 14, 2020.

1. Vetis Augur

Good day to you Norrathians!

I found a very popular post asking how loot is handled with boxes and what is socially acceptable.

Unlike most games EverQuest does not have a very simple "Need before Greed" system. The unfortunate reality and answer to your question is slightly complicated. Allow me to explain.

Each group has the probability of having its own particular ideals on how loot should be assigned.

For instance, when someone is holding down a camp with 2 toons or they are holding it down with a friend with a possibility of 4 toons on Aradune the scenario could play out something like this:

A 4 man crew is camping Flowing Black Silk Sash (2 humans 2 boxes) and you send them a tell with an interest in the 5th spot. They respond, "Sure thing we don't mind you joining for exp but if an FBSS drops we're going to take it. If you're cool with that then come on down!"

You're either okay with this or you're not. You either join or you don't.

Let's take the same scenario and say they have different ideals on how loot works. They let you join the group and they tell you "We're boxing but we will be rolling for the FBSS on our boxes as well, just FYI but you can roll also! Good luck!"

Same scenario!! Third possible outcome, "Hey just need on anything you want, we're only rolling on our mains."

All 3 of these are possibilities.

Lets change the scenario and talk about another somewhat spicy looting ideology. Instead of boxes everyone is playing a single character at the FBSS camp and you have a full 6 man group.

This used to be a debatable subject and I can imagine a small minority may still think differently but the majority of players on a TLP have the following mindset:

Regardless of what class you are playing everyone in the group will roll need on a flowing black silk sash. "But Vetis, why would a wizard roll need on what is CLEARLY a melee item?!" Well the answer is simple. All tradeable items for which players will buy in the EC tunnel or Bazaar when it comes out should be needed on by any class because they can sell that item and buy their toon an upgrade.

By looting an FBSS as a wizard you are essentially looting an upgrade, it will be fairly easy to sell the FBSS and then be able to afford something like Golden Efreeti Boots.

At the end of the day all tradeable items should more or less be viewed as platinum. This platinum will be used for gear, spells and other things. All of which will help the player continue to play, progress and enjoy the game regardless of their class.

From my experience this is the mind set more often than not on the TLP's. However, I will caution you again to either set your ground rules when someone joins your group if your loot plan is "unique" or when you join a group be sure to ask so you are not later disappointed when the FBSS magically disappears out of the advanced loot window without a roll.

I hope this helps!

tldr; Always ask when joining a group or always tell people as they're joining your group about the loot expectations.
    Boze and Starshape like this.
  2. wade_watts Augur

/pray
    Dear Lord, please allow DPG to release the new TLP servers as soon as possible. Please grant me the strength to deal with the onslaught of forum posts covering inane topics with huge posts and providing poor guidance to returning players. While this seems like an impossible ask, I know that through you all things are possible. Lord - protect us players from the evil nerfs being promoted by the butt-hurt masses. Lastly, we ask that you can help the servers during launch as they melt down and repeatedly crash. Please provide your hand over my packets to allow me into the server so that someone doesn't gank my characters names.

Amen.
    code-zero and Vetis like this.
  3. Protagonist Tank

Not really. Need everything is the default for all TLPs and has been for a very long time now. Any time a nostalgiabaiter with an extra chromosome tries to start a "Need before greed" group because they're trying to relive some roleplay thing from their childhood, they're very quickly told absolutely no-one is going to redo all of their filters to humor that roleplay.
  4. yerm Augur

Need before greed is a very useful and working loot setup that people use 100% of the time in my experience on NO DROP items that can be turned in for tribute. Literally everyone interested in the item for tribute (or their house display) selects greed, while anyone who needs the item in order to equip selects need, and it is perfect.

The people who try to enforce NBG on tradeable items by and large tend to be undergeared and/or bad players anyway.
  5. Rcbauer Augur

'Need on everything' started on the 2nd round of TLP iirc.
  6. Xeris Augur

NBG group: "Hey pls charm frog so we can kill 100x more efficiently, but also don't roll on the fbss b/c enchanters can't use it." OR, just roll need on everything :D
  7. Sillyfish Elder

Roll need on everything.

Nobody else will be greeding.
  8. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Charm pets can use FBSS
    Boze likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

:p
  10. Ishbu Augur

Its always need on anything on TLPs because if you dont, you wont get a single trash drop even.

Its sad that over 20 years the EQ community has ended up here when it used to by and large work well on its own without even an in game loot window, but the me me me kids have taken over and think they are entitled to all loot.

Hell, in this very thread you have someone acting like a charmed frog would let you kill the 3 FBSS placeholders faster than the almost 30 minute respawn timer, without realizing the enchanter is only in that group for exp, and not even considering how the tank feels who actually needs the FBSS.

Im not here to try and convince the little children with a bad case of the Gimme's to play like adults, that ship has sailed, either accept they ruined loot in pick up groups or be ready to be frustrated
  11. Vetis Augur

This is covered in the post. =) As stated in the original post, you need all on TLP's but you're fooling yourself if you think every single person follows this logical approach to EQ loot.
  12. aindriuc Elder

I always play nicely when I am in a group with others. If something drops that I don't need I let the other party members need it. However, what really gets my nizzle in a tizzle is when one player wins special items 2+ times in a row. I generally am of the opinion, if you got one special item, then let the other contributing group members take a prize too. Just me however.
  13. Sikkun Augur

Learn how advanced loot tool works and there is really only one person deciding how loot goes. What need / greed? You can enforce it, round robin, split, etc.
  14. MBear Augur

Just follow the rules of whatever group you are in or take it over and make new rules.
  15. Bullsnooze Augur

What is the need for these loot posts?
  16. MBear Augur

This is what this thread should really be about.
    The masterlooter in a group has many options. Many probably don't realize that the masterlooter can even add or remove people from the loot rolling list as necessary by checking and unchecking those characters in the loot list.
  17. Magneress Augur

If I was boxing, out of courtesy I would temporarily disable looting on my boxed character, but I dunno how to do that. That said, each character needs funds for spell money and what not. I wouldn't take an item from another player to shove on my theoretical druid box helping my melee level, they can essentially do that pretty much naked without gear. I believe, say if I grouped with a cleric, and the stuff dropped of Moltor for the paw, I would totally give that cleric first dibs.

Inversely I wouldn't really expect anything from the person I was grouping with if I was said cleric, though friends usually treat each other fairer than passing strangers, so if I was dead set on playing a cleric, I would definitely plan on making friends along the way :D
  18. Vetis Augur

To kill time. Also helps people who are returning or new players understand the uniqueness of the EQ community. Also I like to see people come out and put their cringey responses and negative attitudes on my posts in true EQ community fashion. It's very refreshing.
  19. Sokanist Journeyman

I prefer using NBG and I tried to fight against the NEED ALL trend but that fight was lost and need on everything is now the normality on tlps and you will only purnish yourself if you try to use NBG

better to do as the majority and set everything as NEED and get your fair share of the loot.

even I who dislike "Need all" has to follow the democracy of the community.

and no ! i'm not ganna change my loot filter for different groups.... the community has spoken Need all it is.

as for boxers, I do not box but if I group with someone that do, it is only fair that they get multiplier loot accourdingly to the numbers of charecter they have in group, unless the boxed charecters don't pull their own weigth, in that case I would simple not group with them.
  20. Magneress Augur

If you really need something and you ask fairly nicely without being on some righteous, I am entitled to this kick, usually people will pass stuff along to you. You'll usually only run into resistance in a few cases where the other person also legitimately could use the plat from selling the item or has just as much vested interest in not camping it for 200 more hrs, thinking earth staff for mage epic here.

That said there are some items like Fungi that are just so high value that really benifit everyone to have a shot at so they can bazaar what they need, be that 10k spells or a click nuke item. So I believe that sorta has been how pick up groups always worked with the 'need all rare loot' thing.