Charm is too strong

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Barthorn, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barthorn Elder

You don't need help from anyone to charm. I don't know which game you've been playing LOL. EXP is trash unless you're in a group anyway.
  2. Kobra Augur

Forgive my bad English as its not my first language. I am not implying a chanter cannot charm solo. I am saying its not very good on it's own.

Eventually your charm is going to break and you cannot heal yourself as a chanter. You cannot heal your pet efficiently. Sure you can use mem blur techniques but that is not efficient.

What people are complaining about is the fact that certain classes that complement each other make charm really awesome, but that is what makes EQ fun to play.

Does that make sense now (I had my wife help me convey my thoughts).
    wade_watts likes this.
  3. Machen New Member

Reballancing the TLP's to be challenging again would be a good thing.
    oldkracow likes this.
  4. Sikkun Augur

Maybe but at that point you would basically have to make a new game. Upping some HP or lowering DPS isn’t going to make content that has been done for 21 year challenging. Nor is returning it to its original state aka WoW Classic being cleared in days.

All of which they did make new content, new balances, changes, etc. it’s the other 18 years of development people don’t want to touch as much. But let’s say you convince them to make TLP specific content, who is going to make it? The people that make live content now that people here already don’t want to play.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

So what are you proposing? You've been pretty vocal against charm. Certainly you have a suggestion.
  6. Barthorn Elder

I agree charm is a fun mechanic, at no point was I saying it should be removed. All that was stated were some balance changes to tone it down a bit. I just feel that a strong support class should not be doing the most damage in your group in most cases. When Monk fists did too much damage they were toned down. When mage pets were swarming content, they were toned down. Both classes are still great right now. There's no reason why Charm can't still be a fun and useful mechanic while being toned down a bit. Charm is also too easy to manage. Enchanters have rune, stuns and mes, they have no trouble controlling their own pet.
  7. yerm Augur

People want enchanters to be pure support and not a competitive dps class like the other 3 int casters and how they were originally. They don't care if originally kael was cleared by top guilds via charm pets back in the day. They don't care if charm was used by better players and they were just unaware or unwilling because they were one of the many mediocre and scared players who don't like risk. In fact it's not at all surprising that the same people who avoided charm back then because it was scary are now playing the same expansions over and over and avoiding the newer and scarier ones.

Everything being asked for here is already done and in the game, starting with omens of war and moving forward. Enchanter charm is well balanced and not overpowered, the class is still very viable and desired in groups, etc. The 1-65 tlp scene is the only place left in EQ where you can go wild with some classes and their silly abilities and I am very far from alone in absolutely NOT wanting the devs to come in and neuter this scene to be just like the rest of eq on behalf of players who very stubbornly to the point of I suspect being on the spectrum REFUSE to play the rest of the eq game where literally everything they ask for is waiting for them.

Early eq's broken imbalances were what made it so special. Nerfing it just makes it like everything else, no longer special, and without any of the improved mechanics and gameplay either. Absolutely no thanks. Leave charm alone, leave enchanters (and necros/druids in many places) to be overpowered, and do not cater to the whims of shortsighted (in the very literal meaning of that word) posters who cannot look past level 65.
    Genoane, wade_watts and Ecko like this.
  8. Rcbauer Augur

Will you be on Aradune?
  9. Rcbauer Augur

Nerf charm pet damage and it will help make things 'hard' and actually create a desire for other classes in groups
  10. yerm Augur

F no. That server will be covered in RMTers. Mangler had swarms of people bragging about how solid their real life is so they can afford to throw kronos at pixels; Aradune is probably going to be far worse. Anyone with an ounce of self respect will consider Rizlona instead.
    Genoane, Machen and Pawtato like this.
  11. Pawtato Augur

From this thread, the trend has been:

Pro-nerf: Aradune
    Pro-status quo: Rizlona
  12. Tuco Augur

Pro-status quo on Aradune checking in here. I've been wanting to do a charming-enchanter for twenty years now, really looking forward to it.
  13. auto21 Elder

It's a trap...
  14. Sikkun Augur

The only people who have problems getting groups is the ones who /lfg and expect someone to make it for them. Removing charm 100% from the game would not change the rate people can rush to max. It won’t change raids being cleared easily. It would do nothing to make classic more challenging. There are way more problems that just 1 to balance things, and it doesn’t matter. The game was unbalanced and easy in that era....you want to play a game for nostalgia then play it for nostalgia.

People thought Anguish was impossible at release because it had bosses with actual (still basic) mechanics. MMOs have changed, the players have changed, some DPS tweaks or HP tweaks are not going to change classic from being easy.
  15. Rcbauer Augur

Nobody is asking for charm to be removed. You frequent politics boards much?
  16. Rcbauer Augur

Rizlona gonna be a Selos.
  17. Sikkun Augur

I realize no one asked for it to be removed. The point is going as far as even removing it wouldn’t change things. Simple concept no?
  18. Rcbauer Augur

it absolutely would make things better to nerf the one class that can outdps entire groups with a charm pet.
  19. Sikkun Augur

And people will be max level in under a couple days. Naggy and Vox would be cleared shortly after, and Sky in under 2 weeks. All without charm 100% guaranteed.

Charm is not the only OP mechanic in the game. But I guess every group is 5 ench and 1 cleric for a reason right.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

That's the impact of changes to Live affecting TLPs in unintended ways. Not quite the same thing.

The bard "change" to Boastful Bellow, although implemented for performance reasons, is a better analogy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.