Guild leader mia - no problem!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, May 13, 2020.

1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Noted in test patch:

Added the /usurp command. This command allows a senior officer to take leadership of their guild if the guild does not currently have a guild leader, or if the guild leader has been offline for more than a year.
    Vumad, jeskola, minimind and 5 others like this.
  2. Nadisia Augur

3. Zamiam Augur

then they better have a way for the old guild leader to reclaim the throne ..
    I think its unfair .. I mean maybe if he was away for more than 2 years but 1 year anything can happen
  4. Duder Augur

But leaving the guild that you supposedly lead hanging for 2 years is fair? Even 1 year? C'mon. Pretty simple, don't abandon ship. If you need to afk for a year+, hand it off to some one you trust so that it can continue operation.
  5. Febb Augur

That needed to be in game a loooooonng time ago. So many guilds with missing guild leaders. 1 year is actually too long.

Anyone that takes on a leadership role and then disappears with no real reason is completely useless to their guild. I can see having honorary positions for ex leaders but guild leadership should always be held by an active person.
  6. Zamiam Augur

well thats just it .. we wouldnt know the REAL reason if he's been gone for a year .. what if he has had some medical issue that he's been incapacitated for long time .. we dont know ..

I dont mind handing the leadership to someone else , but if said guild leader returns he should be able to rightfully have his GL tag back .. is all im saying .. it is his guild that he created and who knows how long he invested his time and effort into it .. maybe even invested R/L money into buying a guild neighborhood and guild hall .. who knows?
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

Perhaps they need to add a new rank...call it "Acting Guildleader". That way, when someone assumes leadership via /usurp it makes them "Acting" and then if the actual guildleader comes back, they could issue a command and take back authority.

There could be any number of reasons why someone might disappear from the game for a year: financial issues, medical issues...maybe they're in the military and got deployed somewhere they can't play a game. They absolutely need to put in a way for the original guildleader to take back leadership.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

And having some system to replace an AWOL GL is better then none. If the the old GL returns the newly appointed one can pass the mantle back. Lots of guilds have been stuck in limbo with absent GL's and the problems that come with that situation.
  9. Fredescu Augur

If you've been away from your guild for a year, and it's still running when you got back, you should be thankful to the active leadership for keeping it that way. They've dealt with 12+ months of the stresses of leadership and probably know more about what is going on in the guild right now than you do. If all you're worried about when you get back is a cosmetic leader tag, and if your officers don't immediately hand back the tag without asking, maybe you're not the wise and great leader you thought you were.

/Usurp is a needed technical solution to a real problem. The GL getting their tag back again is a social problem for individual guilds to solve their own way.
    Zynrael, Lannin, Aanuvane and 6 others like this.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

Duels for leadership lmfao!!!
    Lannin and Fredescu like this.
  11. Whulfgar Augur

You would be surprised at how many guild's.. do not have their original creator guild leader..
    Lannin, Nennius and Kurage_of_Luclin like this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Can't wait for the roleplay implications. "He is a pretender to the throne!"

[IMG]
    Zamiam and Nennius like this.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

These cases are probably very rare. Then you need the current guild leader to refuse to return leadership to the original guild leader. In that case, the original guild leader can presumably form another guild with his loyalists/followers.
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

I like this actually. A mini EQ game could be born. Each side sending rogues out to do the other side in. Muahahahahahaha
    Benito likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite so. On Bristlebane, Club FU folded and FU World Order took it's place. I was never a member of either guild but from what I was told the original GL decided to retire and a large group of folks marched on under another name. All was well I think.
    Benito likes this.
  16. Zamiam Augur

The same can be said for the people in the guild .. if they have a problem with there not being a GL they can always leave the guild and start their own guild..

The guild appointing an acting GL is also a social problem .. Guilds have Officers and Senior officers which can do almost everything a guild leader can do ..

Like i said before I dont disagree about giving the Guild a way to make someone else GL if that GL has been gone for a year or more , but there needs to be a way for the returned GL to get back his guild without having to worry if the new Acting GL will turn the reins back over..
  17. Zamiam Augur

I actually am a GL in a guild that was given to me by the original GL a very long time ago .. I use it mainly for alts now :p but im sure there are a ton of Guilds without GLers ..
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

yep, I have alts in my original guild.. the guild Leader hasn't logged in for at least 9 years.. it's a small guild, never was big, but some of us still are there periodically, logging in to chat.. goof off.. whatever.
  19. Broozer Augur

There are administrative functions that if the guild leader did not enable on ranks below guild leader, that is a functional issue that a guild does not deserve to be left hanging with if there is a long term absentee guild leader. This is an app, not a corporation.
    Elyssanda and Duder like this.
  20. Duder Augur

No, there really doesn't need to be that function. If it is THAT important to them they will login in at least once a year. There is no telling when some one who has been gone a year+ will come back, if ever. You're making something out of nothing imo.
    Lannin likes this.