Increase Sales With Two Words

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, May 10, 2020.

1. Nadisia Augur

Honestly, no.
    I prefer new content, new zones, etc.

But an epic quest instead of ... overseer (/yawn) ?
    Hell yeah, 10 times, 100 times.

Even a segmented quest, with seasonal adds, staggered over 2 expansions, or more.
    Sissruukk, Vumad, Zamiam and 3 others like this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The issue is the "bang for the buck." Not all players have all 16 classes. Of that, fewer have characters pass Epic 2.0/2.5. They will spend an entire expansion cycle on 16 epic quests but each person will likely only enjoy 1 or 2. (I haven't even done Epic Retelling on all of my level 110+ characters myself).

I agree with Tucoh above that the TBL chase items, Artisan's Prize, and Rallos Zek Earring fill the epic niche. Perhaps, they can run two "epic-like" quests concurrently in an expansion (i.e. EQ2 model: 1 Adventure Sig line, 1 Tradeskill Sig line).

Additionally, there are cool quests in the game that many players have not touched (Efreeti Death Visage, Refurbished Puppet, Tears of Alaris).
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Absolutely not.

This seems like the perfect thing for a Kickstarter/GoFundMe/etc. type campaign. Have people pre-pay for epic quests. If you get a good response, you know you're on to something and have the funds to work on it. And if it's just the same ten people that keep posting about new epics on the forums, you know you can safely ignore them.
  4. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I would probably still Pay for it but I would much rather see a new expansion like we're currently getting vs a new Epic Quest.

I like the idea of maybe repeating something like the RoF class weapons. One quest line for all classes but rewards a unique class only weapon. I know lots of people completed that in RoF and the Raid drop was definitely in high demand since everyone wanted it. It's not a true "Epic Quest" but I feel that's probably the closest we can get to an Epic Quest without sacrificing an entire expansion worth of content for.
    Vumad, Leigo, Caell and 1 other person like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

So players get a quest that they can do once (and help others on as needed) but in exchange they would have less group and raid content to do? People are already complaining about a lack of content and a one time quest at the cost of other content will not be a good replacement.
    Vumad likes this.
  6. strongbus Augur

no. I was trying to come up with something that give us a epic quest line of sorts with still getting a normal full exp. Think what we got for TOV but change the earring quest line which is 8 quest atm. Change that to 17 quest. 16 quest each quest center round 1 class for lore. Don't require any raid drop for the 1st 16 quest. At the end of the 16th quest the reward is a class epic type weapon with stats = to the top raid gear of said exp. The 17 quest can be used to get a raid drop that when turn in gives a chose of augs that 1 will let each person make their epic more to their play style, and 2 give it stats that are better then the weaps for say the next 1 or 2 exp.

I know making 16 different quest lines + everything for a new exp(zones/aa/spells/gear/etc) would be to much for the dervs. I am thinking 1 quest line with 16-17 quest in it would still let the derv do a full exp as normal. If they do it in a non-lvl rising exp would be easier as they don't got to worry as much bout as many spells/aa and such.
  7. Pawtato Augur

It’s pretty much how everything is designed now anyways. I haven’t seen anyone discuss repeating any tasks outside Missionary Ada. All the progression and quests are just one time use.
  8. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I think what you’re actually seeing is the shrinking size of the team is what’s crushing the team. There were the layoffs for “consolidation” or “restructuring” under the investment firm, then treating devs as a pooled resource available to work on multiple games. Splitting off Darkpaw to provide better demarcation was probably a remedy for this, but one that came too late. That’s just my opinion though, delivered from this comfortable armchair.
  9. Triconix Augur

While I would love an Epic 3.0, I accept it's not feasible. The development needed to make 16 different epics is just too vast at this point. The only way(s) it could be done is having no new content for a year or staggering the quest availability over time through multiple expansions IE assemble the blade one expansion, the hilt one expansion, the pommel another and fuse it together. From a lore perspective that latter option is also advanced because you have to think of ways to connect 3 separate expansions linearly.

Also, the power levels of Epics these days would have to be enormous. We are already getting power gains of over 10% each expansion. If an Epic were to last a similar time that our 2.0/5's lasted, they would have to be the equivalent of us using ToV weapon while the TDS or TBM expansion or a weapon in ToV that is something close to 100% power increase over what is available. To put it in perspective, a warrior 1H would have to be 800 damage compared to the current 484. A berserker weapon would have something like 1,100 damage right now. Content would be absolutely laughable with those kind of weapons.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No, I wouldn't pay for an expansion that was just epic 3.0. What else would I do for 12 months?

However, I'd very likely pay for DLC type things for something like that.

Figure out how much it would cost to do X in terms of development.

Price a DLC "expansion flag" that lets the player that buy it do X. Then get the number of sales you'd need.

Tell the community, we'll do X, but it will be DLC that costs $10 (or $20 or whatever), and we have to sell Y of them to justify it.

Start presales, put a counter on the website, every time someone preorders, it goes down. When the counter reaches 0, you charge the people's cards and green light the development.

A way to hedge your bets and offer to the community things people constantly complain about wanting.

And then just keep doing your normal expansions.
    Pawtato likes this.
  11. Lifeshriek Augur

I would vote for new raids/group stuff/zones over new epics, but if we could get them all that would be great. Here's an idea I had that ties it into Challenger/Vanquisher, obviously the specifics would be up to you (I don't pretend to know if this would be feasible, but worth a shot I guess):
    First Step: Obtain expansion wide named drop that you can right click to convert into a epic item for your class. Less stats, less of a weapon ratio, lesser proc, no focus and lesser clicky etc than weapon from second, third, or fourth step.
    Second Step: Complete a certain Challenger achievement in a specific group mission. Perhaps these would either not have the instructions in the achievement window to unlock these if you feel that is warranted to keep some of the intrigue present of first figuring out these steps or not. Then, rewards an upgrade to make the epic type item better, resulting in better stats, a new focus, weapon ratio, proc(s), and clicky, maybe an extra aug slot also etc.
    Third Step: Complete a certain Vanquisher achievement in specific raid instance (maybe the same achievement carried over from raid copy missions so to speak since time etc seems to be limited for this stuff). Same idea with the instructions from the Second Step, but also requires having all of the achievements completed from Challenger for all classes. Results in the best clicky the item will get, the best focus, weapon ratio upgrade, proc(s) upgrade and stat upgrade etc.
    Fourth Step: Complete all of the new expansion's Vanquisher achievements. Results in upgrades for weapon ratio, proc(s), and stat boosts for epic.
    Also, alternatively, instead of just receiving for achievement completion, you could maybe have a bonus chest spawn (sort of Convorteum raid achievement style) with the epic upgrade piece(s) if you were worried about the rate of influx of epic level items entering player's hands, so to speak. Also, if they could convert to augs or fit in an unconventional slot as well such as Ammo (Ammo slot I think negates most item bonuses besides skill mods (maybe a skill mod would be cool on epics as well) and maybe foci? not sure on that one.
    These epic items, if they were to go in, I would hope they would have staying power for all classes. I know that might be hard to predict but if significant dev time were to go into this I would hope this would be the case I guess. Thanks!
  12. Celephane Augur

This boggles my mind. How would this even be TLP? What would be the point?
    Vumad likes this.
  13. Fredescu Augur

No. New zones are far more important to me than new epic quests. I do wonder if future evolving items could be more class specific, but I'm guessing even that's a stretch.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I wouldn't.
  15. smash Augur

Never would I pay for thing that only contain epic.
    Vumad and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Nor I. I find it very difficult to believe that an epic only expansion would sell enough to cover costs, let alone make a profit.
  17. smash Augur

You say increase sale, I say put EQ in the grave, because most people would not pay for such which means, no revenue to cover the yearly expenses.
  18. Dazzler Twodirks Lorekeeper

Just PLEASE don't do what EQ2 did with epic hat quests.
    I could not run those chains without dying 6000 times.

That was stupid.
  19. Notanx New Member

Would it be more manageable to create a single epic quest line for everyone rather than unique quest for every class? I know this wouldn’t be as sexy as epic 1.0, but was just trying to find a way to compromise without using so many resources.
    Vumad likes this.
  20. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I would love to have more interactions with NPCs that felt more natural then just clicking a link and everything is done for you. And I do talk to my NPCs in some vein hope that they will say something unexpected or simply because I am lonely at the time. ^^! But it would be encouraging if there was some kind of algorithm to wrong answers or phrases in general, instead of them just standing there silent as if you did not exist.

I'd ask for an official true Classic EQ server, but that would probably only fall on deaf ears. But a new collectors book with a LOT of lore, drawings, maps, stats, character bios, etc. would be nice as well. And I said book, with real paper. Not an ebook or some other thing like that. I want to be threatened with paper cuts as I turn and re-turn the pages over and over again, cover to cover. ^^! I want it Prima's Official Strategy Guide Everquest: The Ruins of Kunark size... 456 pages X 20!
    Questoften32 likes this.