Where is our necro DoT revamp????

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hadesborne, Apr 5, 2020.

1. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Personally I worry about an oversimplification of the class. I get that the devs have their own vision for the game and we often just have to roll with it or not. The roller coaster of tweaking that is probably going to happen is not something I look forward to. It may all end up for the best but I cannot say I am hopeful based on the other DoT revamps.

I doubt the necro DoT revamp is going to amount to much in alleviating the debuff slot issue.

I get the debuff slot limit is essentially an artificial cap on DPS as is the 54 person raid. You have a cap on the resources you are allowed to throw into an event that requires coordinating a large group. Optimizing that is another part of the game. If the raid team does not make better choices about which spells have priority, they pay a cost for it just like they would for not bringing a balance of classes. Personal DPS usually has to take a back seat to the overall raid DPS.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If it doesn't address that at least to some degree then it would have been entirely pointless, so I think that is definitely a core aim of the consolidation & your doubts on this should be proven to be unfounded.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

4. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

So all the other DoT revamps have helped the debuff slot issue? You may have more wiggle room to not shoot your raid DPS in the foot but the debuff issue, still there.

The revamp cannot be entirely pointless. If they are following the model of all the others, the necromancer class will be much easier to play at a base level. Arguably better for the game as a whole.

Whatever these DoT changes do bring in, I would bet the way players adapt to the change will have us right where we are, not enough debuff slots.
  5. Evurkvest Augur

Im currently raiding with 16 dots mostly. Not counting swifts we have 15 spell lines. Revamp will do nothing for debuff slots or complexity of dot swapping unless they do something completely different from other classes, which i doubt.
  6. Rots Journeyman

But doing this revamp how does it affect non raiders? So right now I solo at 106 with the 3 wound spells and 1 other spell. Doing the revamp means I can only cast one spell from each line? Does this mean we lose our soloing ability now? Is the game just catering to raiders now and not the casual player?
    My apologies for the idiot post.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

... is this a serious post?
  8. Forcallen Augur

Enhanced Decay was the necro dot revamp. Outside of TLP concerns and him changing and consolidating the Wounds dot line we don't need more changes IMO.

No matter what they do to necromancers in the next few months to year debuff blocks will remain an issue and a necro's worst dot can not be tuned in a manner that is better than anyone else's dots.
    Marton, Evurkvest and Scornfire like this.
  9. Forcallen Augur

By adjusting everyone else's dots first we are now in the situation of at least 6 other classes who were not using dots in raids now wanting to use dots in raids as they can. The devs have also added a ton of debuffs to the game in the past few years in contradiction to them admitting the debuff cap was an everyone problem 4+ years ago. If the goal is to work on the debuff issue than Ngreth, Aristo and Dzarn all have to sit down together and collectively reduce how stuff currently works for everyone. Consolidating debuffs for classes, changing how some things possibly work so they don't require a debuff slot, reducing debuffs game wide since its not a "dot problem" its a how much crap in total ends up on the mob problem.

Alliances, procs, AA consolidations, spells, etc all have added to the issue in that period, we didn't see some streamlining or reduction as one would have hoped. Even if they remove 6 spells per necromancer in a raid others who have been holding back will just fill it right back up. No one is going to just leave 18 slots open on a boss as a just in case buffer, they are going to toss on another debuff to help a tank or toss on that 3k dps thing they have since its better than nothing. And you are right back to a situation of something silly possibly blocking alliances or 200k dps spells.
    Vumad, Tucoh, Marton and 3 others like this.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Yes, it will get filled up by other things, eventually. Doesn't change the fact that a serious revamp would help necros with the % of dots they can get on a raid boss, and it would boost group necros (if done right anyway).

Mana balance concerns aside based off prior revamps, taking 12 worst dots and combining them into 4 dots would help the issue and allow you to mem other things for more dps or utility that you usually wouldn't. Then leave your current 3? other best dot lines as is so you can still stack them.

Then at least instead of rememming your entire spell lineup you only remem some of it and can do other things with that time saved?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many of those dots are from the same spell line? If after the revamp you are no longer able to stack dots of different levels from the same spell line and end up casting fewer dots how will that not help with the debuff limit?
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

There'd be about a half dozen currently unused lines that would then become worthy of everyday use
    Kuvani, Vumad and Evurkvest like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many unique spell lines do necros have that would stack? Keep in mind that swift dots won't stack with the dot they are based on after the revamp and that could be true for other similar dots. If someone is asking about numbers because some dots won't stack it would be more helpful to give better idea of total dot lines that a necro have and could stack to show why debuffing wouldn't get better. Just saying they could cast some other dots without saying how many they would no longer be casting isn't helpful.
  14. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Page 2, Post 36 of this thread
    Kuvani likes this.
  15. Forcallen Augur

If he leaves every dot line as they currently are its still 16 potential dot lines. And that excludes the doom dot portion of the wounds line, Cascade our proc dot which trumps lots of others dots and the short duration "caster dot" for our Dissident line. The three swift dots are also their own line but unlikely to be raid boss worthy.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The revamp is now on test.
  17. Szilent Augur

The first part* of the revamp is now on test. Several, not all, dot lines have been updated.
  18. Cadira Augur

inb4 massive nerf following patch
    Scornfire and Sancus like this.
  19. Forcallen Augur

Going to destroy the class likely. Its going to be a month or more of insanity and then massive nerfs. Rather than listening and not repeating the same mistakes hes just repeating all of the errors.
  20. Szilent Augur

I don't think there's any "massive nerf" in the offing. The strongest dot has been the highlight of attention, but necros are The Dotting Class, so that's just kinda appropriate. It does make me glance again at how wizards aren't similarly outfitted to be The Nuking Class, but whaaaatever not this thread I guess.
    Tucoh, menown, RPoo and 2 others like this.