Wizard vs Mag for old world

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RockPaperScissor, May 12, 2020.

1. RockPaperScissor New Member

I'm considering playing one of these for new tlp. Which class has better dps up to Velious?
  2. sumnayin Augur

All depends on what dps you want. Wizards have more efficient nukes, way better rain spells. Mages have pets, and if you get your epic your pet is great damage.Wizards can also start landing nukes on resistant mobs once Kunark comes out while mages can only really nuke half the raid bosses from classic to Velious. If you plan on soloing at all then mage DPS is way better than Wizard because if you're a Wizard you'll be medding more than killing.
  3. Vetis Elder

Well this is a loaded question.

I think it depends more on what you're looking to do.. I'm probably not the best person to answer this question as I never mained either of these but my observation is Wizard will be better DPS on a raid boss, mage's are more of a consistent and sustained DPS.

If I strictly had to say which one is "better" in general it is the magician. But which one is better as a DPS? I think we'd have to look at the numbers but I can imagine it wouldn't be such a gap that you should base your decision on it.

Some people enjoy dropping bombs others enjoy dropping smaller bombs and having the strongest (non charmed) pet in the game.
  4. Fudly Elder

Magicians are better soloists and more wanted in groups. Wizards are better raiders and can make money porting people.
    Forsaken likes this.
  5. Bard2019 Elder

Mages are so powerful in classic, even after all the nerfs. You have so much utility from summoned items, damage shield and pets that stun and root. As well as one of those pets being able to tank most group content and you can do *almost* as much spell damage as a Wizard, although your spells cost more mana, do less damage and are all fire based, your pet damage and survivability rate usually make up for it. With all that said, there will be A LOT of Magicians and Magician boxes and fewer people playing Wizards as mains. If you play a main Wizard, know your stuff and show up for raids, you'd be a welcomed addition to most guilds where as some of those magicians will have to be sat out at times.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Wizards can parse very well on some fights in classic. But in the end zone, sky, there are fights you literally can do nothing but eat a dr.

Being able to port in classic is great, but a mage pet also brings a lot to the table of 0 gear.
  7. TLP Addict Augur

Depends what you want to do, for raiding Wizard is superior. For grouping or farming Mage is superior.

Wizards have the ability to port for plat but few can afford to tip much until the server matures a bit.
    Forsaken likes this.
  8. Arclyte Augur

I like the Mage class, but the fact that most of the krono farmers will be braindead mages still wearing their newbie robes kind of kills it for me for some reason
  9. Machen New Member

For raiding classic, neither is superior or ideal. Either you have to deal with pet aggro getting you killed thanks to motm, or you can't cast anything on any mob in the longest raid zone of the expansion.
  10. BoatsNotes New Member

Played a wizard on Mangler and didnt find getting into groups particularly difficult. Group wise a mage is somewhat more desirable, but I also found that a wizard can usually get to the camp faster and their evac was nice to have. I dont think you can go wrong with either. Having a toon that ports in classic-velious is certainly nice though plus wizards have some neat classic class quests.
  11. Ultrazen Augur

Wizard in classic: Cast 6 ice comets, 5 outright resisted, 1 hits for 67 damage, sit for 15 minutes because you're OOM. True story.
  12. TLP Addict Augur

Next time choose a different spell line for Lady Vox and you shouldn't have any issues.
    Thewiz and Bobbybick like this.
  13. Gio1999 Augur

As others have said this is a loaded question. As I've seen from playing a wizard on Agnarr, it's not hard getting a group and people love when you save them with an evac. I think mages are wanted a little more for groups, but in general there are less wizards.

If you're planning on joining an ultra hardcore raid guild - I'd go wizard though. You'll be needed for mobilization and you're more likely to get your epic with that level of help.

PS - I hope your noticing that DPS really doesn't factor in that much in this decision.
    RandomStrategy likes this.
  14. Blastoff Augur

Mages are not better at soloing...they are better at farming trivial mobs their pet can tank. Good luck soloing an FG shard on a mage. Soloed one no problem on an epic wizard during Luclin. Epic rune + root/snare > a one hit wonder pet and no cc. Wizard solo life is amazing with an epic rune and healing pots, + quadding.
  15. Ultrazen Augur

Yah, best of luck to you! Have fun when PoH opens. Wizards are bordering on horrible in classic, people get suckered into believing they are doing something because they see big single numbers. Go parse a wizard vs a monk in an hour long group.

Wiz if you want to be a port bot that spends 95% of your time medding. At least with a mage your pet is doing something all the time. Like the lore of wizards, think wizards are cool? Awesome, play one and have fun, but if you want to talk about "effective" classes in classic, wizards are close to horrible.
  16. Blastoff Augur

Wizard can win parse on naggy/vox/inny/ct easy if they're good. It's damn near impossible for a wizard to lose a raid parse to a mage unless it's in sky. Not only does the mag get agro from their pet as if their pet is doing full damage, mage pets damage drops the more pets are on a boss. It's bad to the point I clocked an epic mage pet at 7 dps on sev during kunark.
  17. Ayoheee Augur

Wizards way, way lower floor, slightly higher ceiling. Mages are good by just existing. Wizards have to put a ton of work into their character and expend effort learning how to maximize it. They suit different personalities. When I played a mage I spent the whole time wishing I was a wizard. Others will have different experiences.
  18. Trevalon Augur

As people have said, Wizard if you want to raid Mage if you don't.

Mages are better in groups, soloing, and such.

Wizards are better at raiding.

So it really just comes down to if you want to raid or not. Mages do get groups easier than Wizard and I know plenty of times on my Wizard I either sat LFG or made my own group (which you should do).

Also going forward While the above is true even down the line, Wizards become much more viable in future xpacs for grouping and while mages are still great, wizards do close the cap somewhat and they will almost always be better for raiding until way way way later.

Overall, if you can stomach maybe not finding groups as easy Wizard is better IMO

Lastly, Wizards are almost always wanted in raids, it would be hard to NOT be able to find a guild to raid as a Wizard. Mages on the other hand are a dime a dozen and no raid would ever want more than 2-4 of them because they just are not that good compared to Wizards.

But if the character is just a group bot with 0 aspirations of raiding, the Mage is superior imo.
  19. error Augur

It gets a lot better in Velious, but yeah, classic and Kunark are both hell for raiding mages with so many raid targets being immune to both fire and magic. And even on fights where you can go all out, MotM is really punishing with the threat transfer from the pet, especially if you're trying to use the epic pet.
  20. mark Augur

wizard can port to more places then druids in classic,every group should have a porter,now for lvl once you get that lvl2 spell on the mage you can chain kill,at lv3 get your fire mage out always use your less expensive mana nuke and just destroy the newbie yard to lvl fast mage his a must at higher lvl you should have both in group evac rocks and snare on wizzie.