Third server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Iove, May 7, 2020.

1. Bard2019 Elder

Clone Aradune, but start it in Kunark with 2 month unlocks. It would be so popular they'd need a 4th server. Buuuut... this will never happen. Why do things that are heavily suggested by thousands, year after year, get completely ignored by DPG you ask? Because there's far more money to be made from Krono sales if they start in Classic. And why do they give us 3 month unlocks? Because 3 x 4 = 12 months, putting the server in PoP era, which is shown to be the jumping off point for a large amount of the population, so they time that with their annual TLP releases for the next year. Rinse. Repeat. I love EQ, but this is getting old and they really need to give us a wider variety of options. Selo's was a nice change but now we're going backwards with the same ol', likely because Selo's didn't make as much money as Mangler.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I hadn't realised that only specific polls were closed.....oh wait they actually don't allow any polls.

So what was your point here?
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Yeah, FV being one of SEVERAL high pop servers has nothing to do with a full time experience bonus and the inability to xfer off once you get there =P
  4. Tucoh Augur

Mostly that DPG simultaneously avoids performing market research while barring players from doing it for them.
  5. code-zero Augur

I think that the strongest objection to free trade is the ability to equip characters with gear that they never had to earn being contrary to the spirit of the game.

Just Pip pretty well summed up what I could never put my finger on with my own experience with PvP when they said they thought it was sad that no one on Zek was able to get the SoF face aug. I felt that I had hit a wall myself there because I spent too much time fighting to achieve anything.

Either path seems pretty boring to me

Now I'm all in with Miragul being True Box being an all time stupid decision. Stupid stupid stupid, no one was using multiple computers to box after 2003~ or so.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Zansobar Augur

By "earn" you mean as in buy with Krono, either the item itself or the loot rights?
    Hadesborne and Thalliius like this.
  7. Pawtato Augur

This is what’s so embarrassing about DPG. They don’t bother with in-game polls, email surveys, or any research. They’ve had 3 straight TLP releases, where they get blasted and twice adjusted the rules.

I think it’s safe to say, they work hard but the burnout is obvious.

The AMA answers for the FV TLP were pretty full of crap. There’s not enough interest, but we’re going to release two more PoP locked servers. It’s going to require too much Customer Support, but we’re hiring 4 dedicated GMs for the next servers.
  8. Sokanist Journeyman

I find this whole post funny, a few pleople claiming that alot of pleople wants a new free trade server.

they are rolling out 2 new servers soon now, weird time to ask about more servers
  9. Pawtato Augur

Because everyone knows this time next year, they’ll be rolling out 2 more servers.
  10. code-zero Augur

No earn as in actually have to attend raids and do missions at some point. Even selling loot rights requires that a character having access to a zone and risk making their way to a corpse or chest.

Your comment is exactly what's wrong with the entire concept of TLP's and True Box. Too use to playing in broken eras
  11. Tucoh Augur

It's pretty simple: Most people here who are planning on playing on Aradune/Rizlona are also planning on playing on a different TLP server that'll be released later. Maybe the next one, maybe one after that.
  12. Zinth Augur

yeah because guildbanner is really risky to get there omg! most raidzones require no risk whatsoever to get to... NTOV? Well mobs are dead, just run in... VT? Well zone in, get coth woooo dangerous! now you really earned the loot you paid krono/plat for.... feel the accomplishment... freetrade rules just removes the non-working obstacle... makes gear freely available even to those not in a big raid guild and why care if they are uber geared and only play grp game 2 days a week? if they pay their sub and enjoy the game then let them, not like it should bother anyone else what kinda gear they run around in
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Regardless of who ends up wearing it no-trade raid loot is earned one time & worn by one player then becomes obsolete & gets banked/destroyed/tributed, the content maintains its value.

Free Trade loot gets earned one time & can then be worn by a long succession of players after being sold, resold, traded, given away etc. etc. for as long as it remains in circulation, never decays, even if you bought the lootrights someone had to get that item to drop to begin with.
    This devalues the content that the item came from, players who want the item after that item was first dropped never even need to go there, players who sell it on never had to go there, that's a drastically different kind of playstyle & it does means all the time & effort spent to create the content that the item came from is cheapened exponentially due to the far fewer number of characters who will ever need to see it yet still have items from it - if you can't see that you are missing the point of why so few Free-Trade servers were ever created.

In my opinion the biggest mistake EQ made was ever allowing any Free Trade items/ruleset without a way to decay the items. If an item can be freely traded it should degrade in all of its attributes every time it is traded until it becomes useless, a tradeskill to repair its stats would also shorten its lifespan in that a repaired item increases the rate of attribute decay per trade, until eventually it can no longer be repaired.
  14. Machen New Member

Funny, I see it as the exact opposite. In real life, if I can buy something that will last forever and can be handed down to my kids, or sold a hundred years from now for real value, that increases the value of both the item and the source of that item. I may not have to go to the iron mine and get the ingredients myself, or the shop or factory where it is produced, but I sure as heck value the people who do more than I value people who sell me stuff that beaks as soon as the warranty expires.

Edit to add, and there's no need for me to go and get every single item myself. We've been specializing as a species for a long time. In EQ it is no different. It doesn't devalue the zones where tradeskill items drop if I can buy tradeskill mats off a trader in the bazaar. Just the opposite, it gives people reason to go to those zones when otherwise they might not have.
    Zinth likes this.
  15. enclee Augur

Terrible post and terrible opinion. Trading loot doesn't devalue it. MMO's are supposed to have economies, where people engage in various paths. FV is the most casual friendly server. No one has to buy ToV T3 raid gear, but they have the option to get various other equipment or items.

No Drop loot was put in place, because a bunch of people got upset that people they deemed "not worthy" had items. No Drop servers aren't fun at all. They're so restrictive and obtaining any gear reward has so little value, because it has such a short lifespan.
    Sollix likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Allow me to demonstrate my meaning via an anology.

If you spent a lot of time & effort building an incredible Theme park called Anguish & from only that Theme park is available a T-Shirt to say "I went to Anguish & all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" and that T-shirt never got old, never even faded & was sold & resold over & over again, wouldn't you as the designer of the Anguish Theme Park feel sad that nobody visits your theme park anymore or wants to come experience the Theme Park you built to get their own T-Shirt because they don't need to? They can get that amazing T-Shirt from someone who bought it from someone else who never even went there either as nobody but the original owner ever needed to visit - wouldn't you be sad?

The T-Shirt ends up being more valuable than the Theme Park it came from.
  17. enclee Augur

You’re analogy doesn’t work. Everyone that’s engaging in the free trade already paid admission to get inside the theme park. Now, some people went and won some items. They’re going to keep obtaining items, while still paying the fee to be in the park. They sell off the extra stuff to the other people that paid to get in. Those other people are engaging in other activities that they find interesting and try to make enough money to buy that item.

The theme park gets money and additional usage by all users as they find activities they enjoy. The theme park now has developed a community that interacts with each other, and becomes a point of social gathering attracting more users.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You missed my point, the loot itself is MORE valuable, the experience of going there to earn it is devalued, massively. The loot was never meant to be more valuable than the experience of earning it.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nobody who buys loot second-hand "paid to get into the theme park", if you are referring to a subscription to play EverQuest you are mixing metaphors .
  20. enclee Augur

This is such a childish mindset that you feel the experience of raiding is devalued, because someone that doesn’t raid gets an item. The raiding experience actually has more value, because it can exchanged for something of value versus being destroyed. If, you actually played on a free trade server you would see first hand how much more fun the game becomes.

You don’t feel forced to do anything, you have player agency.