Increase Sales With Two Words

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, May 10, 2020.

1. Pawtato Augur

New Epics.

It’s been 16 years. We all know it takes time to develop, but we’re talking 16 years. People genuinely get excited about Epics, and it would lure people in.

Let the community create the art, the lore, the quest. We’re all in this together and there’s a lot of old school Dungeon Masters out there ready to submit their ideas.
    Maedhros likes this.
  2. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Oh, I was going to say Boob Ies but yea, I guess New Epics would work... kind of disappointing though... I liked my suggestion better. ^^!
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Still waiting on a new heritage crate in 2020...
  4. Voxynn Elder

I am 99.98% sure devs have openly admitted there will never be another any type of epics in game due to how much resources they take to create.

So this has been addressed directly by devs already.
    Jyve, Funky and Barton like this.
  5. Stephen51 Augur

I think what could be done if it ever were to get back on the table, is a standardised upgrade.

So for instance you could link it to progression. You get an automatic upgrade completing progression. Maybe set it to upgrade every other expansion - make it the expansion that does not include a level increase, so less spells and/or AA's to resource.

Or you could include an item that dropped from missions, that players could hand in to an npc along with their epic and it would upgrade it. I would suggest allowing any level of epic to be upgraded by the drop, as if the most recent version of the epic is required (currently in a raid zone Epic 2.5) it may make things more complex for the developers as well as the player base.

This would help address the uneven abilities of epics, some of which were capped at the end of the expansion (or +1) they were introduced in, as opposed to some which are still relevant in the most recent expansion. This "should" allow for greater control over class balance going forward.
    Vumad and lockjaws like this.
  6. Pawtato Augur

It’s what I stated in my post, but thanks for reading the first two words. It needs to be outsourced to the community.

Do you know how much buzz that would generate among the player base?

There are graphical geniuses out there that design beautiful weapons. There’s wonderful story-tellers to put together the lore and events. There’s players that are masters at their class that could design the special buffs behind it.

It’s time they start turning into project managers, and using the community. Otherwise, we’ll just get copy and paste spells, equipment, zones, quests and something nobody asked for in Overseer.
    Vumad and lockjaws like this.
  7. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Epic Chest Pieces.

If I ran EQ I would add an NPC for each class that gives out a series of chest armor/robes by taking the previous chest piece + some arbitrary quest item + the best chest piece from an expansion. Always giving something better than the best regular current chest, but you'd have to do the whole chain of every expansion in EQ history.
    Zapford likes this.
  8. Password1234 Augur

The only epic chest piece I'd be interested in is an ornament that lets my monk wear a robe again.
    Vumad, lockjaws and ForumBoss like this.
  9. Questoften32 Augur

Yes, fanservice for the hero, T&A is nice ''Titles and Achievements of course'' for elves that goes twice, but consider the second thing, Stat grinding!

Imagine: Secret stats on every level not gated you can grind to 100 each like a hidden system tied into achieving initial to 100 mastery of the skills.

To do this you have a one time chance to click to agree to turn all 100 or over skills back to 1 before level 50, and regrind them on a sliding scale.

It should be tied to a + 100 innate attribute bonus that will there after scale to level showing up as + 10 all stats if + 100 has been grided, and be + 100 by 59 but not to exceed the natural cap ''by much'', just let you have it more innately and as soon as you work for it, +the AA ''innates'' with a 1 to 10% heroic bonus by 100, that begins at 50, if you do this and scales to 100.

The sliding scale would be on par with a 1990's rpg stat grinding AVG game where you max your hero's stats. ''not mission based repeated actions! In this case a hidden and optional stat sheet. Eq is set up with a little tinkering to support this.

At max level the difference should be subtracted at end game from whatever similar passive just allowing those who want to gain/grind to be a little more sufficient and enjoy lower levels on alts to do this.

It should make no real difference end game save 1% maybe and there should also be another way to gain this 1% at 100 so it just is what it is: for alts and classes you would never max or enjoy in a raid a group but would buy a slot for to play where group content is less viable.

Also few would do this, it would not be significant enough to take away from boxing and could also be unlocked via marketplace!

Hard but not time gated, that is you should be able to grind your nerdy ''old school pc/ ps1/ps2 game loving, rpg analytical, stat loving heart out, as it effects 1-65 only on your 6 to 10th character you wont max out otherwise in any way.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You can do this with Hero's Forge.
    Vumad and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  11. Password1234 Augur

Does that work if you don't use the Luclin models?
  12. Magickon Augur

The illusion swap does.
  13. Password1234 Augur

Well seeing as this is completely harmless and just for fun, I can expect it to be nerfed eventually.

I miss monk robes ):
  14. Kanuvan Elder

kronoless server

$20 a month serv
    Magneress likes this.
  15. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I remember when they added the female see thru dresses or maybe just the long skirts, very nice indeed... :cool:
  16. Strawberry Augur

There is some kind of workflow between the concept artist and writers who then hand off the data to the modelers and game designers who put it in the game. This workflow probably revolves around 3rd party and in-house software.

I assume it would be really hard for developers to coordinate any outside effort because these types of workflows are so game-specific.
  17. Pawtato Augur

It's more about distributing a lot of mental processes and decisions. If, they can get a good outline/summary of the lore behind the quest, places, NPCs then it really just comes down to implementation and balance. It's still work, but this is could all be done over the next 3-5 years.
  18. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Try Deviant Art (ignore the name ^^! ) as a bunch of artists, writers, designers, craftsmen, etc., reside there. Some may already be EQ fans. Drawings of maps even on leather or parchment paper. Language makers of fantasy like Elvish or Orc symbols. Crafters in pottery or 3D modeling. Cosplay outfit designers. Fantasy sword and armour makers. Etc. But how truly unique are you going to get after a twenty some odd year game with twenty some odd expansions who already borrowed ideas from the likes of D&D, Tolkien and who knows what else, plus adding their own creative and unique ideas into it?
  19. Tucoh Augur

The last couple expansions did have new epics in them.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:The_Burning_Lands_Chase_Items

https://tov.eqresource.com/earringofralloszek.php

I know it's not what you're thinking of as epics, but that's the 2020 equivalent. My opinion is that it's too focused on grinding and not focused enough on accomplishing difficult group content, but it's good to have high quality gear that anyone willing to put the effort in can get.

It should be noted that pretty much any one of the original epic quests are more involved, quest-wise, than TBL's and ToV's chase items. Mechanic-wise it's harder to say, there's a lot going on with the evolving items and not muc hgoing on with a weapon + proc effect even if there's 16 of them.

I certainly would be delighted if the next expansion had a super-long quest whose end-result was a class-specific weapon, even if the quest wasn't class specific. Especially so if it wasn't farming 50,000 bear to get. I regret getting 4 of the TBL chase items and BiS augs, and I didn't even consider getting the ToV ones.
  20. Pawtato Augur

Definitely, agree that the concept of an epic item has been re-introduced in the recent expansions and agreed that the amount of unimaginative grinding isn't really that fun.

I think they've shown capacity to do some cool stuff, but it's something that would really make the 25th anniversary standout. Which, I think would be a realistic timeline about 4 years from now.