Warrior aggro in Classic

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TheDohn, May 9, 2020.

1. TheDohn Augur

With warriors on TLPs having an aggro disc from the start - is raid tanking with a shield viable in Classic these days?
  2. SoandsoForumUser Augur

AoW we had warriors going sword and board, I don't recall it being called out in any other fight. It was a more aggro sensitive fight but that just meant enchanters had to be careful and only run pets maybe 75%
    TheDohn likes this.
  3. Mrjon3s Augur

No the aggro skill doesn’t generate as much as you think.
  4. TheDohn Augur

I think it generates 165 hate on initial cast and 50 hate per tick until it runs out or is recast on 30 second cooldown, with another 550 hate from Yak procs and 470 hate from Wulf procs, which means a War generates about ~3370 hate per minute on a TLP with sword and board versus the ~2200 per minute he would have generated in-era with dual yaks, no disc, and no augs.

But that wasn't really the question.:p
  5. Mestops12 Lorekeeper

It's probably viable.

I tanked all of Classic on Mangler with an augged Sunderfury and had no aggro issues. Don't think a 1hs would be much different.
  6. TheDohn Augur

7. Arclyte Augur

why would a sword/shield warrior generate more aggro than DW?
  8. TheDohn Augur

Re-read. More aggro with shield now (due to the disc and augs) than DW wars had in original Classic, without all those extra tools. :)

Basically, my question was: I know 1h/shield now generates more aggro than dw used to, but are TLP raiders generally safe with that or do they require a war pumping out that much more aggro than the raids used to require?
  9. Barton The Mischievous

My guess is that the safest course would still be to generate as much aggro as possible due to other classes having more tools and likely more dps than in "classic".

I have not main tanked any raids as a warrior on TLP's, hopefully someone that has can let you know
    TheDohn likes this.
  10. ThenaEQ Augur

if your dps is trash sure
  11. Bewts Augur

I know warriors who, if we had a gap in the defensive disciple cycle, would pop their boards on for AOW...

But we also had rogues backstabbing for like 10 damage or some nonsense like that on launch. I don’t think board tanking became a “thing” until way after classic though; mobs simply didn’t hit hard enough to fear ripostes followed by max damage quads or flurries that could “round” a tank where shield AC made a measurable difference.
    TheDohn and BlingBling like this.
  12. Ahze Elder

Warriors should not raid tank bosses in classic at all. There is no reason to use warriors without defensive over knights who get a lot better agro.

But, most guilds have them do so anyway cuz reasons.

If you want to have a hope in hell of keeping agro you must bring instant agro clickies. My favorite is Midnight Mallet from Lynuga in Innothule Swamp. Or you can force your whole raid to not press buttons for a couple minutes (good luck with that). You will still kill lots of caster dps and have fun with lose pets once the enchanters die.

Or you could use knights to tank instead. In classic there is hardly any difference in mitigation.

Yes, I've played raid warriors in classic to level 70 on Coirnav and Selo. I love warriors. It is just dumb to have warriors tank bosses in classic - they are bad dps and trash tanks.
  13. JooJooFlop Trainer of Trainers

You can always spam jboots for lots of aggro but I don't know if that's considered an exploit.
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I'm reasonably sure that using clickies to buff yourself is not an exploit in EQ.
  15. Bewts Augur

To be honest, I ran paladin in classic for my 6-box and then swapped to warrior at the end as we entered Kunark. I wasn’t raiding back then though, just clearing trash mobs in fear / hate for visible armor drops.
  16. Karanthal Augur

Warriors natively take 5% less damage than other classes. But as said previously knights can use a shield and hold aggro offsets most of that advantage.

Once warriors get defensive in Kunark they will be tanking most raid mobs from there on in. I typically tank all kunark mobs were all tanked dual wielding, weapon proc's aren't great at that point and mobs don't really hit hard enough to make a difference.

Velious - AoW and Vulaak I typically used a shield even with defensive. AoW people are careful not to pull aggro and Vulaak has the hide from AE mechanic so generally no problems holding aggro.

Luclin - DW pretty much all the way, maybe shield for blobs who backstab from the front for 8k+.

PoP - Tend to use shield for RZ and Quarm. Furious bash helps a little and warriors start to accumulate a number of aggro procs from clickies/better weapons/Raex BP. LDoN offers Anger3 augs which help further.