Charm is too strong

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Barthorn, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack of all trades Elder

Every TLP it is the same argument .

Unless something game breaking is happening , leave it alone.
    A solo person charming is not breaking the game nor are they over powered.
  2. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

When people lie i call them out on it.

This statement is false. The hardest hitting charm pets in Chardok are https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=7880
    and https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=12221

They both hit for 215 max and are only found in the Bridge area. So yes when you cherry pick one of the best zones in the game for charming then also feel the need to lie and increase the damage of the charm pets by 25%. I'm gonna call you out for lying.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Barthorn Elder

No one is lying, stop your witch hunt, whether it's 215 or 275 it doesn't matter. It's still way over tuned and you know it. You're scared because a lot of people know it too so you're lashing out and nit picking numbers to try to justify you being toxic.
  4. jack of all trades Elder

^ LMAO get out of here with that nonsense.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Disil Journeyman

Oooh, this sounds fun. To the best of my memory:

Classic: Don't care, open world game gets abused and gets what it deserves.
    Kunark: Don't care, open world game gets abused and gets what it deserves.
    Velious: Don't care, open world game gets abused and gets what it deserves.
    Luclin: Don't care, open world game gets abused and gets what it deserves.
    Planes: Plane of Fire and Bastion of Thunder are the only zones chanters would take the risk. They still died often when charms broke (also, open world game gets what it deserves). No viable targets in Time.
    Gates: Pets are nerfed on charm with the exception of Zun`Muram Tkarish Zyk, but that's part of the mechanics of the fight. No viable options in Tacvi
    Omens: Pets are nerfed on charm with the exception of OMM's lieutenants and I think one of the MPG trials, but that's part of the mechanics of the fight. (16 notable encounters within MPG/RSS/Anguish)
    Darkhollow: Pets are nerfed on charm. Don't recall using charm on any encounter in the Blood raids/Vule/Demi-Plane.
    Prophecy: Pets are nerfed on charm. One viable charm event (Deathknell #1, maybe Snowtail) out of 14 endgame targets.
    Serpent's Spine: Pets are nerfed on charm, but not as bad as pre-TSS. Two viable charm events (Sothgar, Gryphon Master) out of 21 endgame targets.
    Buried Sea: Pets are nerfed on charm, but not as bad as pre-TSS. No viable charm targets in Solteris.
    Secrets of Faydwer: Pets are nerfed on charm, but not as bad as pre-TSS. Tinytops in Bargangle event if they're grabbed before getting boosted. The occasional blue mob in MMM trash. No viable charm targets in Crystallos (you can charm azure drakes during the Brood Mother event, but they have no HP and are very magic resistant even with debuffs).

Trakatur is talking out his bum. For the fights that matter, chanters are lucky to have the chance to parse on select specific fights on pretty much anything after Velious.

The reality is that even in groups, charm still carries a fair amount of risk, and even more so before Charm AAs are introduced. It can be exceptionally mana intensive, and a bad string of charm breaks without proper group support will get the enchanter killed quick. If they really wanted to nerf charm without nerfing charm, they'd lower the damage of the worst offending mobs or make them immune. That'd be real balance without playing up this kindergarten zero-sum argument.
    Tucoh, Sikkun, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sikkun Augur

But spoiler for people who don’t know....it’s not many in these eras either.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. ForumNugget Journeyman

I really don't understand this call for nerf. It's not like this is a pvp game. It is largely a pve group game and all nerfing it (or many things for that matter) is going to do is just make xping slower and less fun for the majority of people.
    jack of all trades and Skuz like this.
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Classic: Every Raid has a charm pet, but the only raid where charm pet outpds players is PoSky. Charm pets in sky have a tendency to warp back to isle 1 on break, meaning you have to zone out and back in to recharm. You also can't use them effectively on boss fights because of agro issues
    Kunark: No in VP, yes for Trak out DPS some players but not the top classes like monk. VS and open world dragons have laughable bad charm pets. Charming in VS can actually heal him more then hurt him.
    Velious: No in ToV, ST, yes but weak in growth. Yes and actually strong in Kael
    Luclin: No in VT, SERU. Yes in SSRA. Yes but weak and not worth it in Griegs/AC/Deep
    Disil likes this.
  9. Hinastorm86 Augur

Do the rogue gargoyles in hate not out dps everyone?
  10. Barthorn Elder

The game stops at PoP for a lot of people, and you cant charm in expansions after PoP because the devs knew it was over powered and made a lot of the mobs immune. BECAUSE IT IS BROOOOOKEN LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  11. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

It's been a long time since i've raided hate in Classic. But on Phinny i remember the casters topping the Inny/mini parses. But i could be wrong on this one.
  12. Traktur Elder

I know you can charm wolves in kael and they wipe stuff out.

The reality is chanters aren't 'bad' in raids at all. Chanters are the absolute top group class..most would say they are a 'must' to xp these days.

I'm not sure if anyone is actually denying this or just being obtuse.
  13. Magickon Augur

Can the voices in VP still be charmed, or did they nerf those?
  14. a_librarian Augur

They're immune now
  15. Sikkun Augur

Anyone who thinks they are a must is obtuse. You’ll kill stuff faster sure, but early expansion with current player power most groups clear camps too quickly and wait for respawns. It’s powerful but it’s not some mandatory class either like people make it out to be.

(You can also group with Rangers, Paladins, and Rogues and get XP I promise it’s true)
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Sikkun Augur

If it was always “broken” why would you fix it on servers designed to replay those eras. If you want to live in a game where it existed as “broken”, then it should remain “broken”.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. auto21 Elder

The problem is that it "can" be fixed/changed or tweaked, so the very vocal minority aka self-certified wanabe programmers (who are bored senseless waiting for launch) whine on the forums (to customise the game to their specific liking)... We can expect 3 weeks of whining about this and all the other usual topics...

There has been no useful/informative additions to this thread for 4 pages - shut it down and/or bring in a red name to bring some closure that it is or ain't going to happen.
  18. BlingBling Journeyman

I'm going ENC/ENC for the win/win! haha
  19. Ultrazen Augur

Charisma has never made a large enough difference in charming to rise above margin of error. This has been parsed about a billion times since release. Your level vs mob, and magic resist is the entire game. You can have max cha, if one of those other two factors is off, your charm will break all the time. Conversely, you can have completely base line charisma and hold appropriate level mobs that have been magic resist debuffed for full duration.

I played a chanter at release, and have played them extensively over the years on live and TLPs, and I've spent hundreds of hours testing various levels of Cha via buffs and gear, it just doesn't make enough of a difference to even worry about, and never has.

2020 and discussions about the viability of charisma on enchanters....lol. This game is like a black hole/groundhog day.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Tucoh Augur

I've never seen this parsed data, do you have any good links to breakdowns demonstrating the above information?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.