What is the best overall class throughout EQ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OliverQ, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Cidran Augur

I like grouping but also love being able to do stuff on my own… For me it'd have to be either magi or necro. Though my most played are bard & warrior:)
    Too many choices!
  2. Tucoh Augur

SK, Sha, Mag.

But tbh, EQ is more fun if you change classes at different times instead of sticking to one class through potentially years of being weak.
  3. vylo Augur

Based on how the question is worded, I am assuming we are talking about the most reliably powerful/useful throughout the game, meaning a period of significant weakness would generally disqualify, also not be available would probably be out too so lets, go down the list:

Warrior - Strong raid tank throughout the game, group reliant, not as good in groups as knights. Definitely not the best overall, but if you will NEED them to raid.

Paladin - Great group tanks, terrible soloers, useful for ramp tanking, and healing later on. Not consistent enough to be the best or even in the running.

Bard - while always useful for raids, and their songs are desirable for groups, bard suffer a bit early, and the nerfs to their AOE soloing have hit them relatively hard. Still might consider them for the running though, just due to how consistently they are useful.

Cleric - It's hard to find anything more useful than a classic cleric (aside from classic enchanter), and while their relative power wanes as the expacs have continued on, cleric has remained strong. The only thing that could keep them out of the running is their reliance on groups.

Shadow knight - great pullers, awesome group tanks, viable solo, FD, decent DPS, especially for a tank class. Definitely a contender for the top spot

Berserker - not available during all expacs.

Ranger - Tankish at times, able to solo with solid DPS and can kind of heal. They are not extremely consistent, but are really only at the bottom of the heap during kunark and velious. Not quite in the running

Rogue - No. If I have to explain this, you haven't played a classic rogue

Shaman - Good healing, great buffs. Has decent damage at times. Soloing can be done, but not extremely efficiently. While consistently a great healer, cleric's early days put it to shame.

Druid - decent healing, good utility, the druid has expacs where it shines, but it always seems to be outdone by some other class whatever it is doing. Also not a highly desired class in raid situations. Not in the running

Beastlord - not available during all expacs

Monk - Good DPS at worst, broken DPS during its best times, able to solo decently, pull, has 4-9 second instant FD..... Monk is consistently valuable, throughout the entire game. While they don't hold on to the top DPS slot throughout the expacs, their DPS is always solid, and their survivabililty is insanely high. In the running

Mage - A great class with a lot of value that gets ruined by early raid tuning. If not for that, mage would be in the running

Necro - see mage

Wizard - Wizard's power in later expacs is overshadowed by its lackluster performance in the early days. Group reliance also helps put this class out of the running

Enchanter - If ever TLP ended at GoD, enchanters would be gods. But it doesn't end there, and so enchanters power is not entirely reliable.

So with that it is pretty much between these:

SK, monk, and cleric. You can pick up any of these 3 classes at any point in the game and have a romp. Other classes you may mileage will vary more.
  4. Ultrazen Augur

The most consistent class across all eras is probably SK. Most of the classes go through wild swings of effectiveness depending on era. Cleric would be the other one that's pretty solid no matter when.
    vylo likes this.
  5. Xanathol Augur

Cleric is never down in any expansion for their role, nor is Warrior or Pally. Necro, Mage, Monk, Enchanter, Shaman are always near the top of their role, but have better exapnsions than others. Beserkers, Rogues, Rangers, Wizards swing a bit more than the last group. SKs have some good and some really bad eras - consistence is certainly not a thing. Druids are never really 'enough'. Bards are bards. Beastlords have a few expansions of too much and a lot of 'meh'.
  6. Stune Augur

Best class open world solo? Dots, kiting, sow classes.
    Best class dungeons, Tanks, Melee, nukes, pets, AOE
    (In no order) heals work in all zones.

Each zone has its differences, if you mean best for how fast you kill mobs it is situational. A group of solid players can make any class look good.

A casual player, doing 1 open world mob may want a druid or necro and kite things. Its really situational.

If your meaning what do people prefer it really boils down to who is spoil and wants specific classes to min max kill counts for xp.

So there is really no good answer, it just boils down to Min Max and how fast you want to go through the content. You switch out what classes, per event such as invis, sow, COH, heals, Charm, mez, etc..
  7. Kobra Augur

SK.

Plate armor + heals + dps + feign death pulls + invis and invis undead, aggro buff, also gets a pet and a free mount from aa.

Only thing SK don't have is a rez unless they use the loyalty vendor item.

SK is the alpha class hands down. They can solo, molo, group, and raid. There is no phase of the game where you wouldn't want to be an SK or not want to invite them to a group.
    Zapford likes this.
  8. Zapford Elder

Another vote for SK, it was my main from launch upto OoW, when I quit due to my potato powered computer. Also a nod to Shaman, which I also played as an alt from launch to OoW. Both Trolls.

Go Gang Green!
  9. Pawtato Augur

10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Cleric hands down not close is the most broken class in EQ.
    Cleric is the only class that is truly required to beat all content
    Clerics are always the best healing class, unlike DPS or tanking classes which tend to switch around based on era.
    The gap between Cleric heals and other classes is massive compared to gaps in tanking and DPS.
    If that wasn't good enough Clerics also get S tier buffs, the best rez, s-tier utility(BDA, DI, arb ect), the best 1.0 and arguable the best 2.0
    Clerics are amazing with top end gear and amazing without it. Most other classes either don't scale well with gear or need gear to be strong.

Honorable mention to Bards the most underrated Class in all of EQ.
  11. Mrjon3s Augur

People sleep on paladins but every expansion they just get better and better.
  12. kizant Augur

13. Gremin Augur

Whichever one shows up at raids, on time, and ready to kill mobs.
    Bard2019 likes this.
  14. Thrudd New Member

My vote is shaman. Can do damn near anything.
  15. Roxas MM Augur

noone brought this up before ?
    best class in EQ of course is gnome.

the end
  16. Minpire Augur

Monk + Shaman Edge out SK/SHA until after OoW if your half decent raid geared on Monk
  17. Machen New Member

If you've got to try to make an argument based on how well your class can solo in open world, you've already lost.