Test Maintenance 05/05/2020

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, May 5, 2020.

1. Hendar Augur

Crashes usually don't give warnings.
    Poops_McGilicudy likes this.
  2. Letireur New Member

did they really noticed the server was down like 1 hour ago when it makes like 3 hours it is ?
  3. jah2006 New Member

And maintenance is supposed to be performed to avoid or prevent issues from occuring, not completely screw it up and make it unstable.
    Letireur likes this.
  4. Jarok Journeyman

Test server. Test. Server.

Test.
  5. jah2006 New Member

Quite the difference between server maintenance and a patch or update bud. Nothing was supposedly changed or updated just routine maintenance.

Check the server status page and multiple servers are now down...Not just Test Server. Test. Server. Test
    Dunamys likes this.
  6. Jarok Journeyman

The TEST server is for TESTING changes to ensure stability before pushing to the live servers.

TEST SERVER.

So the reason the test server is down is the same reason some of the live servers are having problems? If you know the reason, please let the devs know!!
  7. jah2006 New Member

I didn't say that genius. Simply implying that maintenance should not have caused these issues test is seeing and then reinforcing the statement by showing that it isn't just test server as you were implying for it being the reason why we are having all these issues after the maintenance.
  8. Jarok Journeyman

Whatever man... The point is, the test server is for testing changes. If you don't like the instability then maybe look for a different server, because they are going to continue to make potentially breaking changes to the test server in the future, that will most likely disrupt your precious playing time. This is the very reason a test server exists. I don't see why people get upset when a server that goes by the name of "Test" has issues, and incidentally has its own patch set and login process?
  9. jah2006 New Member

How about you read my post's before assuming things. I'm not complaining, just stating facts. The Live servers did not come down for this maintenance that they performed on the Test server and are also having issues.
    Typical troll though, deflect and try to put someone down after making an erroneous statement.
    Let me type it in a way you originally did so you can understand me.

It's not just Test Server. Not. Just. Test. Server.

They didn't even mention us on their main page or twitter. It's going to be a while, we all know why it's called TEST Server. Most of us have been here for years and wouldn't keep coming back if it was that big of an issue.
    Dunamys likes this.
  10. binamur Apprentice

when will TLP servers get their mount buffs back that we paid for?
  11. Tirpitz New Member

@Jarok
    I'm pretty sure the issue derives from the lack of communication of any type from the Dev's, or at the very least a Community Manager. A healthy online community needs to have communication between the dev team, and the player base. This isn't 2003 anymore.

There's a reason why the Dev's of games such as Path of Exile and Warframe are so highly regarded. When something breaks, they let the players know what it is, and if possible an ETA when it'll be fixed, and those games are actually free to play.

As it stands now, we're sitting in the dark, and that's frustrating. Test server or no. Not to mention this is day two of this issue with no communication. Taking five minutes to post something for the players either here or Twitter goes a long way.
    Dunamys, Benamwen and jah2006 like this.
  12. Jarok Journeyman

So you are in fact implying that the test server changes have something to do with live?

My last post I tried to not make it personal, but if you insist... Yes you were complaining.No you don't quite understand what a test server is supposed to be for otherwise you would have not made the comments you made.

If you are patient and let the devs figure out what the problem is you will be back on test likely complaining about something else soon enough.
  13. Jarok Journeyman

The live servers had a twitter post, and the forum heading was updated to reflect the current issue within minutes of it happening. Last night there was not much communication about the situation with test but I imagine since it was off-hours and not a live servers, devs need to get some sleep too. The most recent test downtime was followed up with a forum heading but then, naturally, live has taken priority.

ALSO...

The other 2 games you have mentioned are only about 7 years old. EQ is now 21 years old. I don't know if you have ever done any software development but I have, and I can only imagine the potential horrors of making changes to a codebase that is 21 years old. :eek:
  14. Tirpitz New Member

Yes, "Live" had a Twitter post, last night. We're not playing on live, nor is it last night. This started again today at roughly 3:30 PST. Well within normal working business hours. This is day two of Test being essentially broke, with 0 feedback. Again, communication is key. That's the theme here Jarok; Communication. We've only just got red text since the live servers have been hit with whatever is going on.

Also, the fact that 50% of the servers are now down completely validates what jah2006 said before, which you felt the need to attack him over. But if you want to keep arguing for the sake of arguing be my guest. But you've completely missed the point of what's been said here.
  15. Jarok Journeyman

I have missed the point? First off, this is the test maintenance forum, so keep that in mind as you bring up the live server issues. You must have not been paying attention, there has been more communication besides the red forum heading text about the live servers. It has even been on the patcher for a while now. I don't use Discord so can't speak for that, but there have even been multiple Twitter updates.

Again, test server is a place where changes that are to be pushed to live once they are TESTED and have all the bugs worked out. Bugs and instability should be expected, at any time, for periods of time that may easily surpass the usual downtimes that live may get. Live will always take precedence over the test server. Perhaps you are still missing the point as to the purpose of the test server, and are unable to find the proper channels where they are communicating their problems. That is too bad.

Tirpitz, you too need to chill out and be patient. There HAS been communication, devs are likely working on these problems at this very moment. I am very sorry it has not been up to your standards.

EDIT: I am not a DB employee, and am saying this as a sympathetic software developer that understands the kinds of nasty problems involve with keeping an old, long-running system up and running.

Best of luck to you devs! Thanks for all that you do! :)
  16. jah2006 New Member

LOL...PLEASE tell me, after I have said multiple times now that it's not just Test Server and couldn't be because of the maintenance that ONLY Test Server received, just how do you keep thinking I'm implying that this is all caused by Test Server? Live wasn't having these issues like us that started yesterday after the test server maintenance that only we received.

I'm not in a video game development facility but in my IT department we have a couple servers. There are NIST, ISO 27001 among other standards that companies have to abide by. "Server Maintenance" involves us backing up drives, upgrading OS, control panels, different firmware, checking disk usage or and alarms, adding/swapping drives, looking for any logged errors and upgrading/reviewing security. Everything is usually done according to a checklist and must be performed and inspected on a certain basis along with being audited. Most maintenance is tested on one server before being rolled out to the rest as not to crash the entire company's network and able to be rolled back if too unstable..

Now I'm sure this is the close to the same general system used within most companies each individual EQ Server, with Test being the guinea pig yesterday. Seeing how unstable it made it I highly doubt they would roll it out to the others without giving it time after a fix to observe.
  17. jah2006 New Member

I'm done. No more feeding the troll tonight @Tirpitz. Let him go crawl under his bridge.
  18. Tirpitz New Member

The age of my two examples is a moot point. Communication and age aren't synonymous. I really don't know what you're trying to argue here, it simply doesn't apply to this conversation. EQ is one of the very first "Live Services". Honestly they should have been on the forefront of communicating with their player-base on a regular basis. Those of us who've been around for most if not all of those 21 years know this simply hasn't been the case. If this game wishes to continue, or even grow, they need to start doing it. It will net only positive results.

Finally, code and software development? All your arguments are pointless to this discussion. I'm talking about oranges and you're countering with apples...Seriously your statement has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing at this point, just trying to be right. Mate, give it up. You're wrong, you've been a jerk, and you got called out. Accept it and move on.
  19. Jarok Journeyman

Wow. @jah2006 @Tirpitz This has been quite an interesting conversation between the 2 of you... Call me what you want. Hopefully it has been a decent diversion while the devs work on getting the servers back online.

Sheesh...

Neither of you ever addressed the fact that these outages have been communicated to the community, WITH updates. I'm not trying to troll, and really not even trying to argue. The original post I replied to was about instability after maintenance to test. The rest from the two of you erupted into splitting of many hairs...

I'm not trying to piss you guys off but I perceive the updates that DB has given to be sufficient, both in the type of updates they give for live as well as the ways they give updates for test. I guess my expectations are lower than what the 2 of you have...
  20. Rikunda New Member

Will it ever be up again? FIND OUT NEXT TIME!

The hamster got Corvid.
    Poops_McGilicudy likes this.