Shaman - Raid Role & Desireability

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TheDohn, May 4, 2020.

1. TheDohn Augur

I've never played a shaman before, and am considering giving it a go on Aradune. I've grouped with enough of them that I understand their group role, but what is their place on a raid? Slows and patch heals seems the likely answer, but likely isn't always true.

And, with that bit in mind, how many are typically desired in a full raid? Is it a class that's typically closed quickly, in high demand, somewhere between? On a scale of SK to not-boxed Cleric, where do they fall?
  2. Aegir Augur

Shamans are always in demand. They are a pain to play on Raids during classic. Slowing, Debuffing and healing is fine and fun. However, the amount of single target buffs required are just annoying and will get old quick. It gets better with Kunark already, but Classic is a PITA. Hopefully you'll be part of a shaman team that can co-ordinate the effort.

SK main + Sham box are probably one of the most popular, if not the most popular box duos in the game.
    Bullsnooze and Ragnoruk like this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Raid shm in classic is toxic if you get a ton of tryhards that insist on every melee buff. Even if its reasonable you're still buffing a lot which is probably the worst part of raiding as far as fun.

They're always in demand forever though. At least through level 85 they just get better and better in group play.
    TheDohn likes this.
  4. Orsenfelt Journeyman

Second the other comments about classic raiding being potentially toxic. As already said form a team, divide up responsibilities, don't do unneccessary buffing, make the Rangers do SoW.

On the role itself, it changes for each encounter and with the quality of the raid force but much the same as group. Buff, debuff, heal, bit of DPS and in the really long fights bust out Widdershins and start swinging.
  5. Ragnoruk Augur

I made the mistake of making an ogre shaman in classic the last time I played. Single target buffs are such a pain in the butt. I was also the only shaman in my guild for a very long time which didn't help.. there were so many people asking for buffs. Also, I was unable to do the skyiron cudgel of the ancients quest as an ogre, which was lame. I love shamans but I wouldn't role another until kunark.
    HoodenShuklak and code-zero like this.
  6. Beep Elder

This also. Not only are the single target buffs a pain, you'll likely also be one of the only if not the only shaman in your raid. It's terrible. No that guy who boxes a shaman isn't going to help you :)
  7. Machen New Member

Shaman is in my estimation the most difficult class in all of Everquest to play well in a raid.

You have so many competing priorities. Have to get the mobs malo'd and slowed. Have to keep your group alive. Have to keep buffs on all the melees. Have to keep buffs on all the tanks. Have to keep your mana up, and keep yourself alive. And often you have to choose between which is the most important, right at this moment, with people ready to complain that you chose wrong (even if you chose right--melees that want to top parse don't care that you need to slow the mob before getting around to them...) It's a very difficult class to really master in a raid setting.

That said, if you do it well, you'll have a loyal fan club of melees that always want you to be in their group, and raid leaders that know you are reliable to handle the debuffs.
  8. Sikkun Augur

Not sure how a buff class buffing is toxic.

Boring sure, but that’s not toxic. It’s one of the primary functions of the class.
  9. RandomStrategy Augur

The secret to SHM in classic is to only buff the tanks and give resist buffs as necessary to people. Other than that, you're oom/medding.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  10. code-zero Augur

I've seen Shaman leave a raid due to verbal abuse over vent from the monks so....
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  11. Sikkun Augur

Meh that’s people being idiots, all classes get that.
  12. Machen New Member

Shamans get it a lot, in classic.
  13. Sikkun Augur

Rangers and Wizards for not taking DT. Clerics because people die, tanks because people die. Monks for failing pulls. DPS for not doing enough DPS.

If people are verbally assaulting each other on Vent it’s not a class problem.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  14. Kobra Augur

If I played a shaman I would ignore melee who act like that.

Just like I ignore healers who ask for mana dumps. Sorry I got better things to do with my time.
  15. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Yeah single target buffs on top of raid bosses that AE dispel, early era shaman is not for most people that want to raid.
  16. Zansobar Augur

I concur with the sentiments already stated. I loved the Shaman leveling him but when it came to raiding, I thought I'd at least be off healing and instead I spent all my time and mana buffing buffing and buffing. It was not a fun time. The cast times on the higher buff spells is long and there are a lot of buffs you need to give out. I suppose if your raid has like 6 or more Shaman it might not be bad but I think we usually had around 2 to 3. Also you will be spending a lot of time making concentration potions at cost for your guild.
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

Play one and report back if you want to find out, lol.
  18. Sikkun Augur

I guess if having responsibilities during raids is toxic then you always have the choice of playing bard.
  19. Machen New Member

All of those are generally far more controllable than the shaman buffing every melee in the raid.
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

The toxicity has nothing to do with responsiblity lol its probably more
    akin to managing raiders with attitudes like you're showing here where you insist there is one way and it's your way!