I know yall dont like charm -- but what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jibeker, May 4, 2020.

1. Jibeker Lorekeeper

Newly dinged 65 chanter here, and I have found charm to be the most aggravating and least fun aspect of the enchanter. Especially now that we are in the planes where I get 1- or 2-rounded to death, and stuns don't work.

But it feels like my charm never ever lasts for any reasonable period of time, and I can't figure out if I'm being cursed by the RNG Gods or this is just the way it is? Maybe 1 out of 10 times I get a full duration charm. Otherwise it usually breaks in a minute or fewer. I'm frequently finding myself near OOM because I'll cast charm, which instantly breaks, so I cast again, which breaks in 10 seconds, so I cast again, etc. etc.

Yes I am casting tash. If I have a mage or shaman I get malo on there as well.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it just RNG being RNG? Is there any AA or focus I can get that makes charm more reliable?
  2. Kobra Augur

There is an aa called total domination or at least there was before they did a bunch of aa changes and merges.

Your charm should be lasting full duration with tash + malo.

Try charming a different mob type.
  3. Jibeker Lorekeeper

I feel like it's every mob type. In Valor, it feels the same whether I'm charming a worm, a luggald looking thing, the gemstone monsters, or a frog. We were in tactics the other day and it was the same on any number of the ogres and the boar beasts. Just not sure what I am doing wrong but playing with my friends is what keeps me going.. otherwise I'd have given up long before the push to 65
  4. Pikallo Augur

In PoP, prior to LDoN getting released, you'll need to use Word of Morell as your stun replacement. Not as nice since it is a mez - but generally works well enough.

Once LDoN comes out, do Rujark(EC) runs asap to get Color Cloud.

As mentioned, be sure to get Total Domination as well.

Beyond that, if any of the mobs you are charming have higher magic resist, they obviously make bad charm pets. Personally in PoP, I generally stuck to BoT or PoFire for best/easiest results. If you have BoT access the Jord Militis make great pets and in PoFire, the fiery spirit steeds are usually the pet of choice - but pretty much anything in field 1 works ok.

Hope that helps.
    Auedar, Xyroff-cazic. and Jibeker like this.
  5. Bullsnooze Augur

Even with Total Domination, the NPC still has a chance to succeed the check and break early.

• You should always have you runes up when charming.
    • You should max defensive AAs before anything else. (Combat Stability/Agility etc.)
    • Grab TD and then, your offensive AAs should come next in Archetype.
    • If you're not in raid gear (VT or Planar) you will need to work on your reaction to charm breaks. Your runes should keep you healthy for the first round of melee you may take.
    Jibeker likes this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Is there a bard in your group playing invis song? :)
  7. Jibeker Lorekeeper

Haha, no. Already ruled that out :)
  8. Xeris Augur

If you have bad gear and don't have your defensive aa's, you're in for a rough time charming in pop.
  9. Valanie Lorekeeper

When I first read the title quickly, I read in my head "I know you all don't like children" lol
  10. Bullsnooze Augur

Depends on where you are trying to charm and what you have for support.

Are you freshly 65 with minimal AAs trying to charm Nightmares in Plane of Fire? If so, you're going to have a hard time. In fact you're going to have a hard time in T3 and up. If you have to group in T3+ zones the safest bet would be to not haste those pets until you're capable of taking a few rounds of melee without the need to use stun to recharm.

Also, if you're 65 with minimal AAs and struggling to charm, I'd further suggest giving Plane of Valor a try until you're polished. The geonid camps are great practice and once they have haste they will rock you if you're not careful and provide enough challenge to get you comfortable. If you are still having trouble then move down to T1 - Plane of Nightmare (Dogs or Goblins) would be the next best spots to practice.
    GNOME_POWER likes this.
  11. Auedar Elder

The above for sure. I would say that holding down max level charms WITHOUT any total dominion AA is very difficult. IF you have completed your entire total dominion AA line, I would say you have about a 30-50% chance to have your charm last the full duration. It would normally break for 5-7 minutes for me, unless I was stacking - magic resist gear on a monster.

Checking to see what monsters are good to charm before you plan to go into a zone is helpful. There are several sites that will show you levels/magic resists of monsters, so you can pick the one that works best for you.

Other than that, it's using best practices. Keeping the charm so that they stay as far away from you as possible in the camp while being close to the pull spot. Having the mob snared so that you have more than 2 seconds to react. Creating Audio Triggers for yourself for when charm will wear off, and if you are in a dedicated group with friends, have the person who snares set up the audio trigger as well.

Don't re-charm before you have malo/tash/snare on the mob. Yes, it might mean your pet isn't attacking for the next little bit, but it also means you are significantly less likely to die WHEN charm breaks.

Until you have the total domination AA line completely filled out, you are not going to hold the highest level charm you can with ANY level of consistency. Most PoP zones will have a level 48-49 mob that is there for the perma-charm AA, and you might have a much better time charming that until you get enough AA.

Once you get the AA line, and you get comfortable with best practices, it is incredibly rare to die from your charmed pet. I would also, if you so desire, highly suggest being the puller in your group if you are in an open world zone where you can pull from a distance. Tash is a great pulling spell, it's quick, and that puts more distance between you and your pet when your charm breaks so that either you or the person that snares has more time to react. If you are doing it right, your previously charmed mob should be chasing around the person who just snared it, so you have plenty of time to tash/re-charm.
    GNOME_POWER and Bullsnooze like this.
  12. a_librarian Augur

Total Domination was mentioned already but Spell Casting Mastery is about as important for maintaining your mana during lots of charm related nonsense happening. Also use distillates of spirituality (if you aren't grouped with a beastlord), greater concentration and magic awareness potions to get as much mana regen and efficiency as you can. Always get Virtue, stack as much AC gear as possible in every slot, buff yourself with Augment for the extra AC (stacks with everything except rangers Call of the Rathe AC buff)
  13. a_librarian Augur

oh and I can't believe I forgot this: Distillate of Divine Healing. Buy those and slam that button when a charm break is getting rough.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

What is your Cha at?
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Here we go...
    Minpire likes this.
  16. Questoften32 Augur

I find high elf chanters very charming and totally enchanting, sometimes the charm effect felwithe's early, and you have to just say: Vie, vie...and try again.

Now Druids charm in a limited sense, they plant themselves and do the beast they can, its just in there nature.

Never liked how charm pets betray ''you have to fight them anyway''. This from Druid play, doing it there way...and that's all I can say.
  17. Minpire Augur

LOL, my exact thoughts when i read it

[IMG]