Need Dev Response - Focus effects on Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tiny Stamper, May 3, 2020.

1. Tiny Stamper Journeyman

Will they be in at launch or no? We need something official here. Every indication was that the removal of them on Mangler was specific to that server and was designed to make it more "hardcore." It was never mentioned as a permanent change going forward, but many think it is. Please clarify.

If the answer is "yes, they are being removed" also please reconsider and don't do that.
    Vindaven likes this.
  2. Kobra Augur

Odds are once they make a change they never going to go back on it.

Expect there to be no focus effects and you won't be disappointed.
  3. Moforyguy12345 Augur

They said Mangler rule set. No focus effects.
  4. Zansobar Augur

The focus effect removal was a continuation of improving the TLP experience to make it closer to the difficulty experienced at launch in 1999. It was not just a Mangler thing. So they will not be there on the new TLP until Luclin unless they change something in the next patch cycle.
    Ngreth Thergn likes this.
  5. Tiny Stamper Journeyman

This is false. This was added to Mangler specifically because it was designed to be a “challenge server” that was harder than most. It was a unique rule. They have never said it would be a standard change made to all TLPs, and every other change that WAS was included in patch notes, which this wasn’t.

See their own statement on Mangler-

“ Mangler is what we refer to as a Challenge Server and is tuned to be closer to the original launch experience of EverQuest. The XP rate is lower than other progression servers, more XP is lost on death, there are no focus effects until The Shadows of Luclin unlocks.”

They also haven’t said that Aradune is “Mangler ruleset” as people claim, merely that it will use Mangler XP rates.

The Aradune announcement -

Aradune Ruleset -
    Mangler XP Progression
    Agents of Change Enabled
    Pick Zones Enabled

Mangler XP progression is *not* the same as Mangler Challenge Server ruleset
    Vindaven and BlingBling like this.
  6. Protagonist Tank

Why do you need to know this? I mean, no harm in asking, but what possible scenario are you living in where having this information now as opposed to when the servers launch matters?
  7. gladiatoreq Elder

I'll play a Wizard if WDC focus is in... duh.
  8. Whoops Augur

That was only for the original announcement of Mangler/Selo. The servers did not roll out that way, because there was an enormous explosion on the forums and the devs changed the rulesets pre-launch.

From the launch post:
    and from the updated Mangler FAQ:
    It's a "standard progression server," and since that's what they've also called Aradune, it's reasonable to expect all of the standard features (including newer standards, like an early lack of focus effects.)
    Rekreant and Skuz like this.
  9. That0neguy Augur

Need might be the wrong word. Want is a more accurate term.

You also already know they will be disabled, so not sure why you feel you need a confirmation.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Fredescu Augur

They did change the XP rate to be relatively fast before it launched, so I'm not sure this overall philosophy holds true anymore. Selo started in Luclin anyway, so it was going to have focus effects regardless. I think it's more than reasonable to assume that focus removal will be a feature of all pre-luclin TLPs going forward.
    Skuz and Whoops like this.
  11. Tiny Stamper Journeyman

Because caster gearing is outrageously boring until Luclin otherwise
    Jenarie and Vindaven like this.
  12. Vindaven Elder

It would be cool if focus effects were in. They were in on Agnarr. They were also in on Coirnav. It makes gear actually useful and more fun. A Dev confirmation would be nice ahead of time.
  13. Xhartor Augur

This was from a dev post 2 years ago when people were begging for MotM to be removed. It kind of leaves the impression that they don't want focus effects working pre-luclin. Mangler so far has been the only pre-luclin TLP launched since they wrote the code to disable focus effects in Classic-velious.

To Quote Prathun:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...t-will-affect-tlps.250337/page-2#post-3681066
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Kobra Augur

Do the focus effects work on rain spells? I never played a wizard so I don't know their mechanics, but if the focus effects don't work on rain spells then probably no big loss right.
  15. a_librarian Augur

Spell Haste and Mana Pres work on everything, Imp Damage is only single target DD though
  16. Kobra Augur

Well in that case the removal of focus effects does suck big time for wizards.
  17. Protagonist Tank

So...absolutely no reason you need to know before the server launches, then.

And it will be less boring if you know this now as opposed to when the server launches?
  18. Tiny Stamper Journeyman

It'll tell me not to main a caster, because gearing up will be pointless for nearly a year. Definitely go with the monk instead.
  19. Protagonist Tank

So absolutely no change if you know this before the server launches, since you can't premake characters.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Tiny Stamper Journeyman

If the devs don't tell anyone, no one is going to know until someone finds a focus effect item in game, which is way after I'm making a character.

What is the point you're trying to make here?