Darkpaw: Please stealth nerf charm just before new TLPs launch

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Apr 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machen New Member

There will be complaining for sure if it ever does happen, but I can't really think anyone would be majorly surprised. Even those who advocate most strongly for it to be left alone recognize how crazy strong charm is in the first few eras.
  2. Machen New Member

This is true. The risk is almost completely negligible now. Enchanters are so much more survivable, even poorly geared enchanters. About the only way you are going to die to a charm break in a cleric/enchanter group is if they are both oom when it happens.
  3. a_librarian Augur

Velium hunter was the only pet that really scared me pre PoP. So far my experience in pop is there's plenty of charms that will obliterate you in seconds if you have crap gear.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a very well reasoned argument & is probably the closest to why Balancing classes is done only in the current max level for live servers, you are also very much on point about how balance of classes does change from expansion to expansion.

Across the whole history of the game that shifting is the closest thing to fairness players will see so long as they are playing through all of the expansions - for players who are just recycling the Classic to PoP eras they never get to see that so for them their perception is skewed.

I still think that Enchanters shouldn't get any further nerfs in Classic.

TLP "balance fixes" are really only for things that the devs feel absolutely need to be done for the health of the game but their criteria don't match what the recyclers want I am guessing.

Look at how bad Enchanter play is in the 70 era which a lot of the classic recyclers ignore - the recyclers don't give a crap about that and they have said as much in this thread.
  5. yerm Augur

What people really want is for the balance attempts and class viability of modern eq but on their familiar classic to pop tlp platform. If you really want all these fixes to balance and enchanters being a decent class but not OP and groups not feeling hamstrung if they aren't utilizing the FOTM class, that's exactly what modern eq offers. Really it's what SOF+ eq offers. But who wants to play through to secrets of faydwer expansion and beyond? Even the slight mechanical additions of GOD are too much for many tlpers, nevermind reaching the UF types of challenges!

No, instead of playing the everquest game literally built exactly as they've been asking BUT not familiar to their fully vaccinated need for the known and comfortable, they'd rather come here and cry for changes that make TLPs more like live eq but without touching the mechanical framework they're used to. Charm was completely overpowered in original eq and enchanters were absolutely part of the "holy trinity" and the most important part of it at that.

Classic eq isn't balanced, never was, and wouldn't be remotely classic if it was made to be. The real problem isn't charm (or ae stuns or monk fist tables). The real problem is people who refuse to just play the game sub optimally and enjoy it without feeling childishly envious of people who do better. It's the same problem of needing to have everything and refusing to accept less that leads to people hurling krono at farmers for gear they want but don't need to play the game. Or, do what it actually takes to be the best, and stop trying to decide what YOU think should be best and then drag anything that ACTUALLY is better down to its level.
    bardacct, Skuz and enclee like this.
  6. Arclyte Augur

you are over complicating a very simple desire

people play TLPs because they like TLPs, not because of some distant off-the-wall hatred of live EQ. On TLPs charm pets happen to be far too strong.

please leave the pseudo-intellectual deconstructions to your community college forums
  7. yerm Augur

Charm was always strong. If you love tlps why do you hate charm? They could change charm, and mob stun immunity, and relative dps tables, and various other balances fixes being asked for... and they already have. Years ago. Charm fix kicks in starting with oow, ae permastuns cap at level 55 npcs, class balance starts looking close in sof. If you want these things why not play the parts of the game that have them?

Classic eq is fun in part because of how broken it is and all the ways you can cheese it. If you want modern eq balance, play more modern eq, and dont ruin tlps.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  8. Bullsnooze Augur

Personally, I think folks are vastly overestimating how many Enchanters will be on the server to make much of a difference with charm.

Its a very powerful ability, but its also exhausting for the player to maintain over a medium to long session. On Phinny I played an Enchanter and boxed a Druid - I was in the top 20 percentile as well. I was in guild groups on countless sessions for 8+ hours and it was a miserable experience and raids weren't much easier on the mind. That said, the risk vs reward was not getting killed by the hasted pet... The risk is not being able to run to the bathroom, answer your cell phone, or do other things you may need to do at the drop of a hat.

Personally, I will not be playing an Enchanter on Aradune for these very reasons and I think you'll find others in the same boat as well. There are other combos that kill slower, but the skill speed outlined is grossly misrepresented. You may kill 15-30 seconds slower, but your quality of game-play is vastly improved - especially as expansions release.
    Skuz and Ronzark like this.
  9. Ronzark Augur

Using the word "triggered" is nothing more than you projecting. It's been 21 years... if the devs thought it was a "major balance issue" then they would have corrected it by now. Stop being a little girl and crying so much. If you think it's so OP, then play a chanter. If not, sit down and shut up and stop trying to ruin other people's fun.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Ronzark Augur

You get it. Some people like danger with high rewards. Others like to piss in their cereal. Good on you for recognizing it and speaking out! People that are jealous of chanters don't realize we can't go AFK for 10 minutes like they do... we can't even blink or the group wipes out. Risk vs. reward.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  11. Arclyte Augur

That argument falls apart when you realize that DBG/DPG have already made changes to "improve" classic TLP. MotM was not in classic, yet it exists here because without it you could effortlessly swarm raid bosses with pets.

I don't think anyone is asking to make charm useless. It should definitely do good damage. The problem is that these charm pets outdamage entire groups, and tank better than a well geared tank.
  12. KimchiGoddess Augur

They're also in PoI, which ruins the zone for those with no flags who want to XP there.
  13. Thalliius Augur

nerf charm! We could turn a desert into a sea with all of the sweet tears that would flow when people lose their EZ Button for content!

Oh how I can dream
  14. Barthorn Elder

enchanters are strong without charm pls nerf it will make leveling experience so much better not getting power leveled by an enchanter
  15. Zinth Augur

if ppl are so set on nerfing stuff then we should go back to spells at every 4 levels for casters and every 5 levels for priests, damage tables should be set back to original, hell levels and corpseruns should be reimplemented and so on and keep the expansion unlocks to the original schedule... so do you still want to nerf chanters?
  16. Sokanist Journeyman

sounds good to me :O) lets do it haha
    Gnothappening and Zinth like this.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

I remember being excited for Mangler originally when they were going to do most of what you just said. Then they caved, much like this time. I really would like to see things roll back to OG EQ status, minus the stability issues (they have enough of those already). I have always felt corpse runs were a neat thing. I admit I'm glad they removed consent allowing people to loot you, but even that would be fine for a while as no one would use it.
  18. dreamweaver Community Manager

This thread starts with an open call to nerf, which is against forum rules. It is locked.
    Minpire, Skuz and Zinth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.