Wake me up when Halfling Rangers are enabled on Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jerimeya, May 2, 2020.

1. Jerimeya Journeyman

...and I might be interested in playing.

I see no reason while they are disabled until Luclin. From a content perspective, both the class and the race are available at launch. With all the other features available that weren't in classic, race/class restrictions seem to be the least game breaking and not worth the effort of enforcing.

I started on Mangler when it opened, and quit after about a month because I couldn't find a race/class combo I was excited about investing in. My primary choices tend to be Gnome Shadoknight and Halfling Ranger. I've tried playing other races and I just can't get invested in my character.

It's the people and our characters that we invest in that keep us around. There's very little invested starting three expansions later. And the only reason for that? "It wasn't in classic."

I can think of many other things not in classic that, if removed, would significantly increase the health of the TLP community. Restricting race/class combinations is not one of them.
  2. Fudly Elder

I agree. That said, keep in mind you can race change with the store.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

If a race class choice is the only obstacle you see as being excited about in eq then its gonna be rough. That's simply not enough fuel for any reasonable eq addiction.
  4. Beep Elder

Halfling and Gnome hybrids were a post-brad change to EQ so I'd hope they never make it to the server in his name.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quite excellent trolling sir /applaud
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

But if you can start as a Halfling Ranger why would you ever pay for a race change in the store when Luclin comes out.
  7. Jerimeya Journeyman

It isn't the only obstacle. But it is the current one limiting my excitement to start on another TLP. Also, I thought it best to limit the focus of discussion to one obstacle.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Is a hinged locked door an obstacle if you can open it with a small purchase of a shiny new key?
  9. Jerimeya Journeyman

I've thought a lot about just doing a race change. For some reason it feels disingenuous.
    It feels more likely to save 9 months worth of subscription fees, over spending 5 months worth of DBC.
    If encouraging people to purchase race change is the reason for restricting races, that puts me off even more against taking the race change route.
  10. Mrjon3s Augur

Wood Elf Rangers are the best rangers. You can origin fall off Kelethin right into the PoK book.
    GamerGramps and KimchiGoddess like this.
  11. Protagonist Tank

lolplayers are f-in weird, man.
  12. Wyndar Journeyman

Actually a Halfling ranger with a prenerf guise would be pretty OP imo, that's some mad tomfoolery right there
  13. Sokanist Journeyman

if it was up to me sure !

I would add beastlords and berserkers too...

but I doubt we see that on a classic starting tlp server.

but i doubted that we would see a tlp with limited boxing... so can't say never offcause.

Hope we get to se it one day :O)
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You may be saving on sub fees, but you are missing out on the early fun, you will end up having to solo a lot more to catch up, I don't see making the CLASS you want in an available race and then changing races later as disingenuous, it's just working round the limitations without hamstringing yourself by starting later on.

Iksar Monks? Many started out as Human in classic on TLPs I bet.

I can tell you, if I had the option of starting in classic as any class that I could later class-change to Berserker in comparable AA & Gear once Gates of Discord opens I would do it, I would hate it too but I would rather do that than start at level 1 when Gates of Discord unlocks.

Were it the case that Berserker were to be made available in classic on a future TLP & I really wanted to play as a Vah Shir one but that race was still locked until Luclin, I would definitely opt to play a different race until Luclin unlocked & then race-change.

One of the major reasons so many Berserker players that are interested in TLP want to have them in classic is because of how much it sucks to miss out on all that early content on their class because they can't even play it until Gates unlocks & when Gates unlocks they are starting with a massive handicap on the road to level 70 & epic 2.0

Yet you want to do that to yourself willingly?
  15. Fluid Augur

Welp, no Rangers in Misty Thicket make it a bit of a second class starting zone if you think about it. I mean if you start a Ranger in Qeynos, you have quick access to other player types like Druid and a hop, skip, and jump to Enchanters and SK. Make the similar choice of Kelethin and the High Elf city with all its magic tossers is right there.

So for Misty you get a couple of Tank classes, a couple of Priest classes, and a Rogue for DPS. No Monks, no Wizards, no Rangers, no Magicians, ... except by travel.

I still think Misty is a good starting place for Druids, I just leave after I get to level 10 or so. Just not a lot of DPS there. I can see not having Halfling Monks, lack of Bards and Rangers seems more like an omission then a perk. I've always enjoyed the movie Willow I guess.
  16. Hdizzle Augur

Server will be dying when Halfling rangers open up. Next TLP will already be wanted/teased and you'd have to play on the only correctly put together TLP (Rizlona) so you can box to keep up. Sadly Aradune and all these Truebox TLPs are seasonal server format. If you miss the train you need friends to catch you up. Not terrible in thought but in practice you are getting help to reach PoP so... you all reroll again (?). You'd enjoy about 3 months of End game play with a halfling ranger.