Looking for advice for a playing on a TLP server ,experience but also a newb player. miss old days

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Validate, May 2, 2020.

1. Validate New Member

I have played EQ off and on since 2001. learn't to box when eq2 came out with 6 accounts on 3 pcs lol. I hated waiting for groups and had to find away to play solo.

Years of coming back to FV server and having a ton of fun for a month to 3 per year. but also always making 1-2 characters on each new TLP server every year wanting to give it a shot.

But due to limited play time, everyone levels up so fast, i'm often set alone again and just give up the slow rate of exp and go back to FV.

But with watching tons of eq vids on youtube as even with all the years i've played i still learn new things. I want to give one of the new TLPs a chance. and thought hey I can box this time if everyone out levels me as fast as they do every year. I will have a chance to catch up.

My questions are, how do you keep from getting bored when there are no groups at the time your playing, what class/race combos are your starting favs. do you make a easy solo class to help grind plat for your alts and main? what class is best for that. if you were to choose to duo box only what combos are fun and survivable, i know i have no intentions to 6 box again. my wife would kill me if i sub 6 accounts again. did that for a few years in asherons call and EQ.

Wondering also what races are fun to play with easy starter cities, it there a point to crafting again, as i'm sure many know how to level that up so fast, it may be hard to compete for the plat.

Today i spent about 3 hrs looking at classes and races and how easy vs hard it would be to get two of them together, due to dieing trying to run multi zones. this is what i've come up with , and would like your opions. i'm not a fan of barbarian shaman but closest way to ranger. i may pay for race changes later. was thinking a druid necro could dot snare root kill fast. sorry for the long winded post. been awhile.

Also any suggestions on guilds going over to the new servers that would accept casual player. so many years playing never did a rain nor any epics, my highest played characters is 65 many in the 50's plus a lot of those heroic 85s' but i deleted 7 of them on my main account as i rather play from ground up, haven't tried the end game past level 65 so far. lol i like the grind just not so slow. darn FV server for 12 yrs now spoiled me...

duos Server classic start
    1 druid halfling necro darkelf
    2 enchant darkelf cleric darkelf
    3 bard woodelf wiz gnome
    4 ranger halfelf shaman barb

Kunark changes
    5 Shaman Iksar Monk Iksar
    Lucin changes
    6 SK Iksar Beast Iksar
  2. Zansobar Augur

When a new TLP server launches, there are groups at all times of the day for a long time. Just find a guild that fits your game goals and go from there.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Well if you say you only play for 3 or so months then I would not worry about the lack of players IF you choose aradune. It will have a pretty solid leveling scene for a solid 4 to 6 months. It dies off a bit with luclin although there is usually a small bump for new beastlords, but the game gets top heavy and raids are the focus for sure.

In the first 3 months I imagine there will be players at all hours do just pick what you like. If you want the fastest groups then go enchanter, bard or cleric imo. Just about every group wants these and they'll take multiple enchanters fir charm pets.

Farming plat is easy and you're really better farming and selling items. Keep all your plat in krono to beat inflation. Hill giants might be easy money, but toxic as hell and not actual fun unless you came to battle.

Casual is ok there should be several casual guilds, as this is the new hot tlp.

As for your duo list, I think you'll be happy with 2 3 4. Druids are very slow to get invites. I did tests of 2 past tlps as I played 1 in addition to cleric. It was kinda sad at times, but people in general know druids just aren't up to par with the pace of modern tlp. But if you just wanted to duo and move around easily they are great. But seriously if you mostly want to group then avoid your first combo.

Duo 2 is going to be insta invite at launch.

Bard wiz is solid I played both of these, but the lack of heals is going to have you kiting if you duo. But it will mostly be kiting which is way slower than grouping. Modern tlp the meta is get a full group and just mow down mobs.

The last duo is strong too. Shm are a great class and played well can trivialize many otherwise hard fights. Rangers are good group tanks as well but you need to learn how to hold aggro, like flame lick I believe they spam. you'll get invites with this choice but maybe not always the package like choice 2, which everyone will look for.
  4. KimchiGoddess Augur

I've been playing since 99 and one thing I have always sucked at is farming plat. I don't do HGs for the reasons you mentioned and I have no desire to spend my time DPS racing or watching one guy own the hill from everyone like we saw on Mangler. The max I truebox is 3 (and usually only play 2 at a time), so I've never had my own little group to sit on a camp. I always lag behind in gear and such as a result, but it's never something I really invested time into so that's my own fault.
  5. Stratka Lorekeeper

A key question is do you plan on raiding? Most guilds will raid 2-3 times a week for 3-4 hours each.

If you're raiding, you don't need to farm plat as all your gear can come from raids.
  6. KimchiGoddess Augur

I like alts and gearing them, plus buying spells etc so I would like to farm plat, I'm just clueless about it ;p

I've raided a lot, haven't done so on Mangler mostly because I work midnights so my schedule hasn't really been friendly in that regard.
  7. Jayjayjay Lorekeeper

play 24-7 or you will fall behind. this 12 week unlock is quite fast for casuals. you will be able to try main boss of each expansions only a few times before next expansion opens up.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TLP servers are a waste of time for very casual players, if you want to stay current you need to put in a lot of time due to the unlock speed making being left behind an even bigger issue on TLP than it is on live. If you like playing a lot of alternative characters then this becomes an exponentially harder thing to do on TLP and stay current with your main.

If you only want to play a lot for a few months a year but like grouping you are going to be stuck recycling classic at the start of every new TLP & you will never get to see what the rest of the game has to offer.

You only get out of EQ as much as the effort you can afford to invest into it allows, if I were more casual I would go play on a live server & steadily catch up to the top end of the game, TLP is like a fast-track nostalgia trip, you blink too long & you miss a whole expansion.
  9. Zinth Augur

well instead of worrying about all those that "race so fast" you can't keep up, then take the time to enjoy the game you like ;-) there are other's like you that don't feel the need to race (most raiders will race though because they got dwagons to keel)
  10. Jayjayjay Lorekeeper

i'm quite tired of this kind of sayings. you can still play live servers and find something enjoyable behind others. why do you think people like to play TLPs?
  11. Zinth Augur

well most of them like to race and feel uber... others like to take their time and enjoy the old zones/quests

there are many ways to play EQ, not just one, accepting that is a great start
  12. Karanthal Augur

TLPs are not like the old days of EQ in that respect. Hitting max level is pretty much the main focus of most players. Classic eq leveling took so long that people had fun along the way, did quests for gear, worked on tradeskills. I tend to level fairly slowly compared to most but I'm still looking to xp 3-4 times a week and hit max level within a month, although the 50-60 slog I find difficult.
  13. Xeris Augur

About half the players on the new TLP will be grinding and racing toax level and raid asap, and the other half will be casual. Just play at your own pace, and tbh best thing to do is just group and make friends who have a similar playtime and style as you.

You can enjoy a TLP however you want... Only thing I'd say is that if you actually WANT to keep up with the TLP, you def can't do that playing casually. So if you want to be lvl 50 with posky raid gear by the end of classic and you can only play a few 3-4 hour sessions per week, and of you don't reach those goals it's gonna stress you out, then new TLP may not be for you.

Agnarr actually sounds like a good choice for you tbh. You will NEVER fall behind on Agnarr and you can play at your own pace and eventually catch up. If you like pop era, I'd recommend Agnarr for your playstyle.
  14. Validate New Member

thanks for the feedback folks. I think i will enjoy playing with the boxing options when needed. I think i'll pre pay for 3 months and just play , re-live the early years. till the server starts i'll play each race on mangler and check out the starting cities .