Acct > Acct transfers please!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rekreant, Mar 31, 2020.

1. nildiar Lorekeeper

Rather disappointing. i made a diff post about this as i have been gone for years and had serious thought about putting my cleric on another account. I had no idea there was already a thread. However id agree they are just leaving money on the table just for the sake of leaving it
  2. Belkar_OotS Augur

I wish I knew who to bribe to make this available as even a temporary overtime service so some employee can spend extra on their kids birthday or something lol.
  3. dreadlord Augur

If it is an old coding problem etc, then surely they just need to see how many folk would be willing to stump up serious cash to do this? It may well be worth it for some.
    It would be lovely if they could find a way to say yes rather than no
  4. dubblestack Elder

Probably pay 100 for this for one char
  5. RustyOfOz Journeyman

Can I have my character transfer token refunded?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Celephane like this.
  6. enclee Augur

They could judge the demand by offering pre-sales based off hitting a certain quota.
  7. Dracolindus Journeyman

Unfortunately if they re-introduced this service, then there would be toon factories running 24/7 flooding EQ with sold toons.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  8. Whulfgar Augur

Truth..

And this is thee one reason I for one am happy this feature no longer exists.
  9. dreadlord Augur

It would be easy to limit this - one transfer per account per year, for eg, would make it uninteresting to the farmers
  10. enclee Augur

Wrong, it’s cheaper to sell the account. All veteran AAs are included anyways, so account age is now irrelevant.
    Vumad likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I thought the only reason we lost acct to acct was technical problems. Never knew it had anything to do with vet rewards or is that why they can't automate it?
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

First off I am not arguing for them to put acct to acct back or not put them back. Just curious and so posing some things for comment.

I can see using the acct to acct transfer method of creating toons to sell you have to spend the 25 dollars worth of DBC or cash.

Creating a new account to create a toon to sell you need to sub to max the aa and and I guess gear it. But that could be done with krono.

So if acct to acct transfers can only be done with cash that would be the more expensive route but if it could be done with DBC it would seem to be the cheaper route if someone has a lot of stored DBC.

Would that be accurate? If so then I guess adding acct to acct back but only let it be purchased with cash not DBC would be the answer. Though I am not sure any of this has anything to do with why we don't have acct to acct transfers. Seems to just be a technical issue.

Another thought is... Daybreak sees someone wanting a character on another account. They can make 25 bucks on a acct to acct transfer or make money on a heroic or make money on the number of months it takes someone to develop the character. Even if a player is using krono to level up and develop a character lets say it takes them 2 months and two krono to get that toon levelled up. Thats more money to DBG then one acct to acct transfer.

I guess what I am trying to see is if it whether it is more profitable or not for DBG to return acct to acct transfers. Daybreak is a business and they have to look at what is more profitable fixing or not fixing acct to acct transfers.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It has nothing to do with Vet rewards. That is the excuse rumor.

But the fact is that it is a technical and manpower issue. Look back to 2017 when support for Windows XP/Vista was dropped in the game and soon (within 6 months) the transfers stopped. The transfers that occurred during that 6 months after Window XP was dropped were manually done.

It doesn't matter how much players offer to pay or how much they beg - it ain't gonna happen.
    Yinla, Tarvas and MasterMagnus like this.
  14. enclee Augur

If someone is buying a character, it’s because they want another box not another alternate character on an account. The account to account transfer when I used it was $50. Also, the account receiving the character required the same name, subscription, and expansion.

If, you do a cursory google search that’s eating a lot of profit for anyone selling. Plus, you have to factor in an additional server transfer that is likely to be purchased to by the end user. It’s much more efficient to simply create new account, consume Krono, level and AA, throw some gear on it and sell the account.

The notion that this is going to create some sort of character selling frenzy is false, because it required both accounts to share the same name. Opening up Vet AAs to all accounts already increased account sales, because there’s no advantage to an older account.
  15. enclee Augur

It does matter, because it’s a potential revenue source. This game doesn’t grow its revenue by growing the player base. Revenue growth comes from creating new paths to take people’s money (TLPs, Krono, Microtransactions, Specialty Editions, Overseer).
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

What a weird theory.

Dropping support for XP/Vista on the client side has absolutely nothing to do with what they are running on the back end. (Especially Vista because it's basically Win7 which is still supported though idk for how much longer).

Also, ALL act2act transfers were manually done. This is because they had to verify the owner of both accounts were the same to prevent fraud and there is no way to do that automatically (without other changes).

Moving a character from account to account should actually be *easier* than a server transfer. It's likely as simple as changing one column (account_ID or w/e it's called) in a database somewhere.

The answer is they don't want to do it. Put it on the same list as Epic 3.0s. It's a non-starter.
    enclee likes this.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Thing is with the epic 3.0 they simply said many times they are not going to do them.

When they reduced customer service via petitions they said they were doing that.

Why on acct to acct transfers would they bother to make something up?

Not ever give a reason sure. That is their standard operating procedure.

Make something up doesn't seem to fit. Like many other things I would have expected them to just say sorry we aren't doing it anymore please acquire a toon on a another account through game play.

Thing is if the reason is they just don't want to then where does the discussion go? Why make up a reason when they seem to have no problem just saying no to some things?
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its not weird and I wish you would stop saying that on my posts;) . Its my opinion and I'm stickin to it.

At that same time they had a change in databases.... software change or upgrade we went through a lot of pain with server crashes, housing zone issues, account issues etc. I suspect the account to account transfers are a victim of this same issue.

If it were only done manually then they had a bunch of inept techs since there was a problem with the old transfer process where sometimes people would get duplicate characters. Account to account transfer one character and then both accounts have said character.

And EX- EQ community leader Roxxy even said it would not be for a long time since they weren't even looking at getting the tech to do it. Meaning the technical ability not the tech repair person. Geeeek squad!!!!
  20. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'll direct you to the second quote in my signature.

I don't recall saying that to you before, but if I have there must be a reason.

The "change in databases" you're referring to is when they went from flat files (literally text files) to a proper relational database like MySQL or w/e EQ actually uses. It broke things because there was a lot of bad data in the system that got exposed during the change. If we ever have another fan faire you can ask JChan about it. She talked about it some at the programmer panels in the past.

Here's the thing though, changing the value of a field in a proper database system (like account_id) is going to be massively easier than editing a flat file. This was the whole reason for them changing it in the first place.

You're wrong.

You seem to not understand what manual means. Manual means an actual flesh-and-blood person (employee) had to interact with the system to perform the change. This is in contrast to automated, like server transfer are now, where it doesn't require a Daybreak employee to do ANYTHING for a player to transfer servers.

Account transfers were ALWAYS manual because it ALWAYS required an employee to do the work. I know what was involved (from the player side) because I account transferred a character in the past. You had to submit a petition with the account names, your name/address/cc etc. and then wait about 3 days.

Now I don't know the exact process that was required from the game side, but given that it dealt with flat-files I assume that it would be something like 1) verify ownership of accounts from the provided info, 2) copy the character file, 3) archive/backup the original character file 4) edit the copy to change the account ID.

That is a manual process. There is nothing automated about that. An actual person had to read the petition, look up the account info for both accounts, copy and edit the files. The only program they likely used was Notepad.exe.

As far as the issue you mentioned (the same character on both accounts) that sounds like someone forgot to do step 3. That's not a failure that would happen with an "automated" system under normal conditions (how often do you hear stories of duped characters with server transfers? Pretty much never). That IS a problem that is going to occasionally happen when you have someone literally doing it by hand. People forget things.

And McDonald's says their ice cream machine is broken every time I try to order an Oreo McFlurry after 11PM. They must have the most unreliable ice cream machines ever! Or...

Roxxly was a community person, not a tech person. Never trust a community person to provide accurate technical information. (No offense Dreamweaver).