No Automated/Unintended Game-play.....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Blackburrow23, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Liplip New Member

“The people who are at their keyboards with the software playing characters that they don't know how to play otherwise is what bothers a lot of people too I think.”

Lol... well thats true.. hard to learn the class when it plays itself. /salute
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Duder like this.
  2. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

On most servers this is true, on the new servers it won't be. Go ahead and test it when they launch the new ones and let me know how it goes!
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is how it should be on all servers, those programs that have the ability to let you afk kill, warp and other cheats need to be baned. It shouldn't be down to the discression of the player they should be banned. Programs that don't have these cheats in them I have no problem with. The only problem then is the idiots who use them, that kill quest named that were triggered. They really need to link Engraged Wyvern to the person who spawned it.
  4. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Doing all of those things you just mentioned will get you banned. But there are some features you can use and not get banned. I'm not saying I agree with this, I'm just pointing out how things are atm.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I can see this being an issue especially on TLP servers where low level zones are being actively used. About half a dozen times in the last couple of years I had had reports of a guild member afk killing with mercs or pets. I track them down confirm then explain to them they are not allowed to do it. But its never been reported to me by someone exping in a zone. Its always a high level that was there for some other reason.

One big issue regarding the merc/pet killing thing is a LOT of folks don't know it is against the rules until someone tells them. Because I get a lot of returning players I put it in the guild motd every so often. Mention it to recruits and I recently wrote up an in game email for returning players where I also mention it is not allowed.

Maybe mercs and pets should suspend after half an our or an hour of player inactivity.
  6. dreadlord Augur

I like this idea. Especially re pets- altho I would make it 5/10 minutes
    (I suspect the Powers That Be would encourage the spending of currency on mercs so less likely to go for it)
    Removing pets in this way would put at least a little thorn in the side of our AB botters
  7. Xenze Elder

30-60 would suffice. And I’d say at least move them to a “passive” stance. I feel like suspending them could/would cause quite a few issues and lots of confusions leading to lots of anger.

.....and how is fluffy and MercyMark supposed to get my Corwyhn mega MGB buffs while I’m at work if they suspend!?!? The horror!!
    Fanra and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That seems to be the case. At some point Daybreak started emphasizing AFK play as being the issue. My thought was that it would be easier for them to detect or prove afk gameplay then it would be to prove software being used with someone at the keyboard. And maybe that was the case initially I know I have petitioned afk gameplay in the past and had the person reported disappear for a while.

And I admit to accidentally offering zero percent rezzes to someone years ago when they ran into trouble camping the ACOF. I guess they were so tired from 3 days of non stop fighting and camping that they didn't realize they were zero percent resses and I missed it too. Tragedy.
    Deathly likes this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Maybe the pet/merc suspension thing only happens in combat capable zones? That way folks could get the MGBs they love :)
    Fanra and Xenze like this.
  10. Brilhasti Elder

Make mobs drop no loot or give any xp if the pet/merc does 100% of damage.
  11. Xenze Elder

That could ruin a lot of trade skill farming though. And lower level grinding. I think it would be best to just “turn them off” after an allotted amount of time where the PC has been completely unresponsive.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. Darchon_Xegony Augur

If something in the game is trivial that it can be accomplished by pressing a single button every 10 seconds, I don’t understand why so many of the people posting here take issue with it. Does it really bother you that someone is killing some about 10 of the 200 Grey cons in a single zone for a few days to obtain either slayer credit, faction or Tradeskill stuff?

I get it when there are 24/7 full box crews that are automatically playing characters pulling large swaths or zones or warping to named inhibiting normal game play. But someone farming some Othmir or Lightning Warriors or Pyrilen/Gelidran in a single spot with a Merc I don’t understand this being equally penalized. One is a huge hinderance to players, the other you can just avoid or pull right through and take the mobs of the AFK player and be unaffected entirely.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

To be honest I think this comes into play far more on new TLP servers then anywhere else where it can be a big issue. I also think it gets enforced more on new TLP servers. I don't allow AFK killing in my guild and address it when it comes up because it is against the rules. But someone merc or pet afk killing doesn't bother me personally (other then being against the rules) unless it is ruining the game play of others and I agree with you that on the Live servers that is rarely ever the case.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yep, I know they can get you banned, which is why these programs should not be allowed.

Saying that looking at the terms of service. https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service?locale=en_US

Bots are classed as cheating, so those programs plus others are classed as cheating.
  15. Xenze Elder

Running the programs themselves are not a bannable offense. Those programs can be used to automate keystrokes...but as long as you’re pressing at least one button, the duplication of said action is okay.

Having the programs run on a script or something similar that automates your characters actions without a key stroke of sorts, is the no no part. As long as you’re at the keyboard to push a button, it’s okay.

I’m not touching on bottling or hacking or ghosting or anything like that. Yeah that’s all wrong and you can/should have action taken against you. But using said programs themselves is not reason enough to have action taken against you
  16. dreadlord Augur

Absolutely!
    It would seem quite a simple idea to implement (after all they can suspend mercs when zones get overcrowded)
  17. dreadlord Augur

I agree the second scenario is far more egregious and deserves a much more substantial penalty.
    BUT
    My problem with the 1st is this: While it doesn't, in an of itself bother me at all. If this is 'what happens' then there will be an assumption that this is 'normal' and this trade skill progression etc will be designed under the assumption that people can farm rare drops/whatever easily
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. DillyBar Augur

It must be allowed as its rampant on Povar.
  19. dreadlord Augur

One of these bot groups took a named camp off a friend 22 hours ago. A full 22 hours. As in camped right on top of them. The friend tried to continue to play, but it was hopeless with the automated pulling/mezzing etc. And 22 hours later they're still there - at their usual spot, not the friend's camp they moved to, to make sure they couldn't get any mobs.
    If someone can't tell that there's automated gameplay after a solid 22 hours of killing the same camp in exactly the same way, then DBG really really needs some better techies
    Vumad, Duder and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Prepared Lorekeeper

True and there is not allowed any automated gameplay on any Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) in release to the general public today.