"Is Housing Dead?" a video commentary

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tsolaes, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Zamiam Augur

I think if you pre-order you get a 25% xp potion ?

and maybe not , cant find where i saw it at now ..

Edit: found it

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-torment-of-velious-preorders-live-2019

Plus, if you purchase the expansion during the pre-order period, you will also get another special item:
    • Pre-Order Bonus: Shared Goblet of Adventure II - 25% 8 hr Experience Bonus, Group
    its almost at bottom of page !!
    so we do get something for pre-order on top of Beta Access
  2. Lannin Elder

This item says it could ( atleast at one time ) be placed in yards. Is it possible we could make it so we could place it on our yards for houses ? It would be very useful again if it could be !

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=100141

I recently did the quest line to get this , and was very sad to discover I could only place it INSIDE my house or guild hall and not in the yard :(
  3. Bobokin Augur

I ordered when it still said we would get the pre-order bonus last time, and I got nothin'.

I was going to put it in my guild hall dojo.
  4. Zamiam Augur

I could be wrong , but wasnt last expansions pre-order bonus a hat ornament ? and RoS expansion was the sand rock garden for housing ? iirc ..

EDIT: nm TBL was the rock garden for housing .. and for testing beta you got the Jann hat ornament ..
  5. Bobokin Augur

The oriental rock garden was TBL. The hat was for beta.
  6. Tsolaes Elder

Thanks Vlad and others for the compliments and opinions!

That fallen crane part wasn't part of my original design. The size of the plot boundary restricted me and I couldn't properly fit the entire thing, so decided to offset the structure and chop off one of the arms. Also, learning that Black Tile trick or the Bulwark door from you or others was always interesting. I'd be touring your plots or someone else's and see something interesting, and with just a Right Click I could examine the item and figure out how it was done. I learned many ideas this way and it really was a community collaboration on how to creatively use placeables in non-typical methods. But sometimes I would see that an item that I couldn't obtain, due to being stuck behind a paywall or needing to be unlocked by getting collectables in tough zones I will never be able to explore by myself. I can understand having to complete end game content for decent gear, but unlocking housing items through collection quests didn't make sense to me.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. Tsolaes Elder

Happy Frostfell! Celebrate the season with the "Is Housing Dead? Holiday Special" ! I guess I can claim it as a special cuz there are a few decorations and Frostfell music, haha. This is a pretty short video compared to the other, sorry for the delay as well as the below average sound editing. Enjoy!

Dexxeaa00 and MasterMagnus like this.
  8. Tsolaes Elder

Happy Mew Year! Be sure to check out the latest Housing video!
  9. Kalabourene New Member

Hello.

Tsolaes, first off thank you for making these videos.I really enjoy them.

I am curious, in part 1 at roughly 2:39, where does the model come from to create the dilapidated Victorian style house?

I have recently started housing myself, and these videos where a godsend in that I can attempt to reverse engineer some of the concepts as I begin to learn.

Thank you
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Tsolaes Elder

Welcome to EQ Housing! Glad you enjoyed the videos! I believe that old house is a Players Studio item made by Paul Samples. Sorry I do not recall the actual name. I hope all the commentary I made helps you understand the tricks of building amazing creations. I learned a lot from other Housing fans and am glad to pass the info on.
  11. Eanelder Augur

I have to say I really enjoyed housing in EQ and one of the things I miss most. I was surprised, and honored to see my own house featured in Video 1 (@ 2:22) made my day :)

Although I consistently saved the layouts of much of my work, I didn't ever bother capturing it with video. Regretting that now as much of the stuff i liked best was in my guild hall which naturally has been updated by others in guild after I stopped being active.

I definitely miss the housing forums, the regular updates to the Marketplace with housing items, and housing in general. I doubt its changed much since I've become inactive, but it was almost certainly dead when I was active.

I haven't been able to watch all your videos yet, but if you didn't mention one of my favortie housing related items from recent time has been the Heritage crates. Adding unique item with the convenience of "clickable" transportation was genius. I had even started a "transporter" room in our guild with a niche for each race and their items.

[IMG]
    Bobokin, MasterMagnus and Kalabourene like this.
  12. Kalabourene New Member

Thank you again Tsolaes,

You gave me enough info to track down that the item is called "Grave Manor" and is/was only available seasonably for DB Cash.

So if I am lucky, and if I wait till Halloween, I may be able to get one.

Somehow I just know it wont be available any longer.So If anyone is willing to sell one on FV lemme know.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. Khyrra Elder

Thank you for sharing your wonderful creations by you and your friends.

I loved Housing and still keep a few houses up on AB server. I play on Ragefire now and yes am looking forward to House of Thule.

I just wish they would bring back so many of the cool items eg Neriak bookshelf, Neriak curtains, the plushie bear, the duck (always placed it in the bath lol) and using our imagination with the variety of housing items that were available and have now vanished.

I also wish we could buy Hermit House, the Beehive House and Pirate Ship.

Hugs to you all :)
    Vlad Diszno, MasterMagnus and Bobokin like this.
  14. Tsolaes Elder

Glad you saw one of your houses, Eanelder! I repeated some of the housing pics in Part 4's ending montage, so I think you show up there too. Ah I didn't cover the heritage items, I havent been able to afford them all, especially since I'm free to play now. I did get a few new pets but never got the clicky port items. That transporter room looks pretty cool!

I certainly miss the Housing forums as well. Any housing/marketplace post quickly gets shoved to page 2 in this forum, and soon forgotten. Like Kala and Khyrra said, if the items are out of rotation forever, why not just bring them all back to the dead Housing system, so people can access all that is available. Let us buy those rare houses! Or how about the unlockable items from picking up glowies? As a solo player, I'm probably never going to get them all. Darkpaw knows people will still pay real money for these items, whats the harm?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. Niami DenMother Apprentice

Would it be of use if I started a small furniture gallery on www.eqtraders.com to show images of the furniture, and what information we have on how to craft/obtain each piece? It would be a rather large undertaking, I wouldn't be fast with it (especially with my current dose of "Real Life", I would be asking for help with the image/data gathering, but I could put it on my list. I've asked halfheartedly in the past, and not really gotten a response, so I'm not spending the "spoons" on it unless the community wants it.
    Winnowyl and MasterMagnus like this.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

This is such a generous offer! You are really too kind to even mention it.

I'm not even playing any longer, so I represent nobody.

But I would respectfully submit, in the thread called "Is Housing Dead?"

Yes, yes it's dead. I can't imagine there would be demand enough to warrant that generous offer.
    Niami DenMother likes this.
  17. Niami DenMother Apprentice

Well, even if the game isn't doing much with it these days, I don't know what the players themselves are doing with what they have to offer, so I figured I'd check. I *like* players having what information resources they can get. :D
    Duder and MasterMagnus like this.
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I love housing. I have spent a fair bit of time making my ingame house a home that my bard could come home to when she is weary of adventuring.
    I've seen some utterly fantastical houses. I'm amazed by what people are able to make with items. I wish Player Studio and housing were both better supported still.
    Bobokin and MasterMagnus like this.
  19. Bobokin Augur

From day one, housing was done in a away to make it a long term failure.

The houses in EQ look like the belong in a 1950s Levittown rather than a medieval village.

Neighborhood zones are all the same and are designed poorly.

It would have been far more immersive if each neighborhood zone was associated and linked to a city and each city had its own bazaar.

Row housing? Theaters? Waterfronts? Parks?

Having only four types of guild halls, two of which are almost the identical, is just sad.

The biggest hint that housing was an afterthought in Everquest: there are two types of three bedroom houses, but the interiors are all the same layout and only match one of the house type's exterior format.
    Brilhasti and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. Tsolaes Elder

Thanks for the comments everyone! Hi Niami! I have used your EQTraders many hundreds of times throughout my Norrathian adventures, its very useful! I would certainly find a Housing section helpful, but as Magnus said, the amount of effort put into such a task may have diminishing returns. It would be great for new Housing enthusiasts but not sure how many people get into it these days.
    Niami DenMother likes this.