Latency is ridiculous

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by WTFDavidBlaine, Apr 29, 2020.

1. WTFDavidBlaine New Member

Devs/Engineer team - do something about this.

(25) seconds before a group invite showed up
    (12) seconds before I could click on a spell icon
    (2 minute+) zone times
  2. Kolani Augur

Was doing Into the Temple B for some friends, took forever for turnins to update.
  3. Khat_Nip Meow

You want DPG to optimize the routes between their servers and wherever you are?
  4. svann Augur

If their own in game meter says 57ms latency, its not the internet.
  5. ShadowMan Augur

100% on them. Prior to the server migration I never had issues with group invites. Now I send and it takes 10-20 seconds to show up.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

DBG and now DPG seem to have been reducing operational costs at the expense of server performance. They've gone too far on the cost cutting side and need to reinvest in more powerful server instances with higher SLA (again).
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. ShadowMan Augur

Even log in has changed for me. When I used to spin up additional characters they would open right up. Now my system pauses for like 10 seconds and shows whatever screen was up when my first instance was started even if that was 10 hours ago.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

What latency are you normally experiencing? (57ms is pretty good for me right now. Prior to moving house 3 years ago, I was at 30ms or so, but that was a different ISP on another side of the state.)
  9. Kolani Augur

That's not what it was. I was showing 98ms, it took over two minutes for the game to recognize task updates. The other two guys in San Diego in the group probably had significantly lower latency.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Perhaps. I live in the San Diego area. The meter usually shows about 59ms. I have had times in the last few weeks where there have been very long delays in things updating in-game. I am no expert, but there have been many more people on-line lately on Bristlebane (so it seems) and lots of folks home using the internet. I am thinking there are multiple things going on that are affecting latency. It can be quite a pain when I do a search on bazaar items and it takes 30 seconds and sometimes a lot more for the results to appear.
  11. Captain Video Augur

I saw some ridiculous lag on the Test server today, which I've never seen before. Of course I saw actual groups in low-level zones on Test, which I've never seen before. I am also seeing the same character login anomalies mentioned above. Something has definitely changed.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea everything is much slower b4 they whatever broke it. doing turn ins tradeskill combines and even fishing is delayed on what I catch its kinda stupid.

Andarriel
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

LOL. You guys are hilarious. :D
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If only it was routing between the player and Daybreak... it's whatever was causing the servers to crash constantly. The daily crashing was fixed a week or two ago, but that introduced the lag we're seeing now. It's been getting worse every day since that patch. Now that the servers crashed last night, that lag is gone. Almost completely... But it's going to start to building again, and we'll be back to clicking a door in PoK and it taking 30s to open. Unlocking the raid and that taking 20-30s to happen.
  15. Captain Video Augur

Dunno where else to post this...

Lag is still really bad on Test, and my toons are the only ones on the server. It wasn't rebooted when all the other servers were last night, says it's been up for 10 days. Is this intentional?
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I also suspect since Daybreak took over they went to cheaper server packages but we also have a big increase in players online due to the Stay At Home stuff and the fact there are no places you can actually go for entertainment.

Whether its server mergers or extra people online due to covid they have to choose to upgrade the servers or we get more lag/latency issues.

In either case I suspect their answer would be to try and wait it out. I sort of get it with the current situation as it will be temporary though that temporary could still be a while.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I know tell lag is a much more regular thing now.
    Nadisia likes this.
  18. Nadisia Augur

Yes, this one is really obvious.

For gameplay lag, I don't know, it's variable, but it's kinda strange to see rubber banding mobs with only 30 people in a zone.
    30 is pretty low, less than a raid size so I guess for raiders, it should be a nightmare sometimes. (I don't raid anymore, but I guess its the same issue)

Under 30, it's fine, but in heavily populated zones like EW or GD (ToV), it's really annoying.
    And pickzones do not really solve the issue as the new ones do unlock around ... 50 people in the previous ones I guess?
    I don't know exactly how their load balancing works, and what are the treshold values (probably variable).

And I'm talking about game lag, nothing to do with latency, which can be fine, and stable.
  19. Captain Video Augur

I can't even get /follow to work anymore on Test. Three toons, I move the main a few feet and then wait 10-15 seconds for the two followers to move. Go any faster than that and they lose pathing even in a wide open area, because they don't see the first step in time. It continually changes their run status to "walk", no matter how aggressive I am in changing it back. I'm also waiting 10-15 seconds for the loot window to respond to anything. And I am literally the only player in the zone. My network connection is just fine, I'm not having any problems at all in other games, including other MMOs.